Columbia Law School Application Question

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Shooter

Columbia Law School Application Question

Postby Shooter » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:17 am

Just got an e-mail from Columbia saying my application could not be completed until they received my undergraduate transcript. I thought this was something included in the LSDAS report, and so far no other schools have asked for one. Did anyone else get this e-mail, and how do I go about sending them a transcript ASAP (mail, LSAC, etc.)? Thanks in advance for any help.

Sinra

Re: Columbia Law School Application Question

Postby Sinra » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:32 am

Shooter wrote:Just got an e-mail from Columbia saying my application could not be completed until they received my undergraduate transcript. I thought this was something included in the LSDAS report, and so far no other schools have asked for one. Did anyone else get this e-mail, and how do I go about sending them a transcript ASAP (mail, LSAC, etc.)? Thanks in advance for any help.

Yeah I got this too. Did you graduate already? Maybe that's why we're getting it. I ordered mine from my UG to send directly to CLS. LSAC should already have all your info...it seems like CLS wants it directly to them for some reason.

Shooter

Postby Shooter » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:42 am

Yep, I've already graduated. Thanks a lot for the tip. I will do this as well!

camelcrema

Postby camelcrema » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:17 pm

I got the same e-mail, but when I looked at CLS' instructions on LSAC, it seems that they want transcripts sent to them via CAS:

All applicants are required to participate in the Credential Assembly Service for processing of transcripts, even if they took the LSAT in an earlier year. For more information about the Credential Assembly Service, please call 215.968.1001 or visit http://www.LSAC.org.

* U.S. Transcripts

Applicants must request that the Registrar of each college (and each graduate and professional school, if applicable) attended send an official transcript to the Credential Assembly Service for processing. If you have participated in summer sessions or studied abroad, you must send these transcripts directly to Columbia Law School or, alternatively, to the Credential Assembly Service, unless such courses and corresponding grades are also included in the college transcripts being forwarded to the Credential Assembly Service.

Shooter

Postby Shooter » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:56 pm

camelcrema wrote:I got the same e-mail, but when I looked at CLS' instructions on LSAC, it seems that they want transcripts sent to them via CAS:

All applicants are required to participate in the Credential Assembly Service for processing of transcripts, even if they took the LSAT in an earlier year. For more information about the Credential Assembly Service, please call 215.968.1001 or visit http://www.LSAC.org.

* U.S. Transcripts

Applicants must request that the Registrar of each college (and each graduate and professional school, if applicable) attended send an official transcript to the Credential Assembly Service for processing. If you have participated in summer sessions or studied abroad, you must send these transcripts directly to Columbia Law School or, alternatively, to the Credential Assembly Service, unless such courses and corresponding grades are also included in the college transcripts being forwarded to the Credential Assembly Service.

Hmmm, the thing is my CAS report says it has all of my updated transcripts from all of the schools I've attended. I just sent a new transcript directly to Columbia since I took a few summer courses and maybe that is what is creating the problem.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:20 pm

Shooter wrote:Hmmm, the thing is my CAS report says it has all of my updated transcripts from all of the schools I've attended. I just sent a new transcript directly to Columbia since I took a few summer courses and maybe that is what is creating the problem.

At the same college? The summer course I took at a different college required a separate transcript, per LSAC.

Sinra

Postby Sinra » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:15 pm

Weirdness. Well I sent them only the transcript they asked for from my degree-granting UG. The other college I attended I did not send. I sent it to CLS directly, FWIW.

camelcrema

Postby camelcrema » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:27 pm

Does anyone know how CLS identifies you? I always thought schools identified applicants by LSAC ID#, but if we send them a transcript directly from the UG institution, how will they pair it with the correct app? Just a combination of name/institution?

Shooter

Postby Shooter » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:35 pm

Just so you guys are aware, I found out what the problem was.

LSAC messed up my CAS report and failed to scan my transcripts into the system (even though they entered my grades). Anyone in my position should call LSAC first and make sure they haven't made a mistake.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”