Wow

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
JaLeCa

Wow

Postby JaLeCa » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:29 am

I have heard lots of things about law school prospects in proportion to debt and took them all with a grain of salt.

But I am just now hearing about this blog, and I'm pretty sure it convinced me...

http://butidideverythingrightorsoithought.blogspot.com/

Yeah, waiting is not that difficult at this point in time anymore

Hannibal

Re: Wow

Postby Hannibal » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:14 am

Based on her writing, I'm pretty sure she's getting Corsaired.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:29 am

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=142780

Nightrunner had a Packers helmet as his avatar there for a bit, which obviously calls into question his judgement/sanity/character/taste, but this thread will scare you in good ways potentially. :o

JaLeCa

Postby JaLeCa » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:27 am

At LEAST it makes you think....

this morning I woke up and thought, why does LSAC have a fee waiver for tests and most school waive fees? Who are they attracting? Hmmmm

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:57 am

So she lives in NYC and is mad that the sate of Massachusetts wasted money? She has a point but I don't get why closing that hospital has to do with it.

JaLeCa

Postby JaLeCa » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:24 pm

There are more postings on there that are more relevant.

TIKITEMBO

Postby TIKITEMBO » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:31 pm

Last edited by TIKITEMBO on Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JaLeCa

Postby JaLeCa » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:36 pm

TIKITEMBO wrote:
At LEAST it makes you think....

this morning I woke up and thought, why does LSAC have a fee waiver for tests and most school waive fees? Who are they attracting? Hmmmm

I get what you're saying with this. I've seen how people who are naive and hopeful for better financial prospects who jumped at the opportunity to put down money at schools that will be an easy reason for employers to drop their resume in the circular file right off the bat. "Oh some school nobody's ever heard of accepted me! That's really nice because I have a 0.36 G.P.A. and got a 12 on the LSAT. I'm glad I can now make $160,000 easily and have great job security! It'll be expensive, but it will pay off..."

But honestly, I don't think the LSAC giving fee waivers has too be so sinister a thing. I mean people have been trying to make law school more accessible for a long time and that has done good and bad things. For instance, financial issues have helped to push for things like the LRAP programs in various law schools and created a market for competing incentives for those who plan to make little money after law school. Plus, if you want to apply to a lot of schools, not having to pay a few thousand dollars for the LSAT, the opportunity to re-take the LSAT, and collecting you law school data helps. However, the negative side could be that it is removing a financial hurdle that might have deterred someone in the first place, like I think you're thinking. I don't know, I certainly like the idea of having the fee waiver more than I like not having it. I think increasing accessibility can have the negative affect of also hurting people who are niave and don't look at what they are getting into.

I've read a few of those types of blogs, and I think there is a place for them in the discussion, but after reading Above the Law for a few weeks, I came to think alot of it was focusing on horror stories from people who didn't study as much as they should have or weren't aware when they got in how important performance was. Doesn't mean that I don't feel bad for their situation, but it's interesting how the propaganda goes. I remember reading one article from a similar blog that stated a law graduate was having trouble finding work and that she had been something like "almost in the top half of her class". I remember reading that and thinking "Okay, that's a nice way of saying she was in the bottom half of her class". People need to be told more and more that if they don't go to a good school and don't do well that it's really bad for their employment prospects in this economy, but I think fee waivers and other removal of financial obligations are largely a good thing.

I think you are right. After I became horrified I slept on it. (I tend to analyze a lot right before I go to bed and when I'm asleep). I came up with a lot of conclusions that can be argued on both sides, and came to a reasonable decision based on my conclusions.

TIKITEMBO

Postby TIKITEMBO » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:33 am

After I became horrified I slept on it. (I tend to analyze a lot right before I go to bed and when I'm asleep).

Haha, yes, I think this is the mark of a lawyer. We'll all be lucky if we haven't grinded our teeth down by the end of law school.

On a different note, I really like your avatar choice. I heard that Daria was released on a DVD (not sure if this was an authorized one or not) but it's just been stripped of all the music that was keeping it from being sold in the first place.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:46 am

TIKITEMBO wrote:
After I became horrified I slept on it. (I tend to analyze a lot right before I go to bed and when I'm asleep).

On a different note, I really like your avatar choice. I heard that Daria was released on a DVD (not sure if this was an authorized one or not) but it's just been stripped of all the music that was keeping it from being sold in the first place.

I bought the series earlier this yeay. It's strange, but without the music Daria's deadpan snark comes off as just depressing. I need the musical cue to know that it's okay to laugh

dextermorgan

Postby dextermorgan » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:58 am

She seriousy spent time to call out UCLA for admitting a blind woman, because the California State Bar Examiners discriminated against her? No wonder she doesn't have a job; being a lawyer requires logic.

TIKITEMBO

Postby TIKITEMBO » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:20 pm

She seriousy spent time to call out UCLA for admitting a blind woman, because the California State Bar Examiners discriminated against her? No wonder she doesn't have a job; being a lawyer requires logic.

Word. I mean, I can get behind the idea of requiring law schools to do background checks first to see if a person will even be able to be employed after dropping a cool $150,000, but not being able to take the test because she was blind, excuse the pun, I don't think that could have been forseen :wink:

JaLeCa

Postby JaLeCa » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:48 pm

TIKITEMBO wrote:

Haha, yes, I think this is the mark of a lawyer. We'll all be lucky if we haven't grinded our teeth down by the end of law school.

Thanks, and how DARE they sell Daria DVDs without the music? I need cultural references in order to reminisce.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”