E-mail schools about transcript update? Also, thesis? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Aggiegrad2011

Gold

E-mail schools about transcript update? Also, thesis?

Post by Aggiegrad2011 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:29 am

Hey everyone... Two questions!

It seems like everyone's asking about whether they should alert schools to an updated transcript if they had a GPA drop, but I had a GPA increase, and I'm wondering if it'd be a good idea to drop a line to schools that still have me "in review" and to point out my new grades. I got a 4.0 quarter and that'll raise my LSDAS GPA to somewhere around 4.1X... so the question is, should I point it out now? Or just wait for LSAC to send them the updated transcript that I paid for and had sent a couple days ago?

Second, and possibly more important, question: I was accepted to our undergraduate honors thesis program (only 10 accepted per year). It's a 30-40 page unique literary thesis and is accompanied by two quarters of research, etc... it's self-led with one faculty advisor, so very similar to a graduate thesis project (That's the intent of the program). I will also be elevated to receive Summa cum Laude honors (so redundant) upon graduation. This is a pretty large undertaking, and a couple schools have asked for it on their application (U of Utah comes to mind) so I ask TLS: Now that I have been accepted and started work on the thesis, should I write out a quick e-mail to schools still pondering my existence in their law school? I'm leaning toward yes, but maybe that'd be just annoying to them? What's the general thought here?

Thanks a bunch in advance, I truly appreciate it =]

Knock

Platinum

Re: E-mail schools about transcript update? Also, thesis?

Post by Knock » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:33 am

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:Hey everyone... Two questions!

It seems like everyone's asking about whether they should alert schools to an updated transcript if they had a GPA drop, but I had a GPA increase, and I'm wondering if it'd be a good idea to drop a line to schools that still have me "in review" and to point out my new grades. I got a 4.0 quarter and that'll raise my LSDAS GPA to somewhere around 4.1X... so the question is, should I point it out now? Or just wait for LSAC to send them the updated transcript that I paid for and had sent a couple days ago?

Second, and possibly more important, question: I was accepted to our undergraduate honors thesis program (only 10 accepted per year). It's a 30-40 page unique literary thesis and is accompanied by two quarters of research, etc... it's self-led with one faculty advisor, so very similar to a graduate thesis project (That's the intent of the program). I will also be elevated to receive Summa cum Laude honors (so redundant) upon graduation. This is a pretty large undertaking, and a couple schools have asked for it on their application (U of Utah comes to mind) so I ask TLS: Now that I have been accepted and started work on the thesis, should I write out a quick e-mail to schools still pondering my existence in their law school? I'm leaning toward yes, but maybe that'd be just annoying to them? What's the general thought here?

How could a 4.0 quarter raise your LSDAS GPA to 4.1X? Unless you got some A+'s that the school gave but didn't factor into your GPA?

Personally, I didn't email schools, I just sent the transcript to LSAC. Yeah, I would update your resume or tell the schools what you have been up to in regards to getting accepted to the UG honors thesis program. That's something that the schools would like to know :).

Aggiegrad2011

Gold

Post by Aggiegrad2011 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:35 am

Knock wrote:

How could a 4.0 quarter raise your LSDAS GPA to 4.1X? Unless you got some A+'s that the school gave but didn't factor into your GPA?

Personally, I didn't email schools, I just sent the transcript to LSAC. Yeah, I would update your resume or tell the schools what you have been up to in regards to getting accepted to the UG honors thesis program. That's something that the schools would like to know :).
4 A+ grades (18 units) this quarter. Perhaps I did the math wrong, but I think it should break 4.1? Maybe just edge me closer... I'll re-do the math, but regardless, my question stands. (If I made a math error, I'm a total math dunce, so it DOES NOT surprise me). I threw everything into the TLS calculator.

Thanks for the tip about the thesis program. I'll start writing the e-mail... I was already thinking about it but... didn't want to commit until I had some opinions from more well-traveled TLS'ers. You certainly count, Knock :)

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:42 am

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:
Knock wrote:

4 A+ grades (18 units) this quarter. Perhaps I did the math wrong, but I think it should break 4.1? Maybe just edge me closer... I'll re-do the math, but regardless, my question stands. (If I made a math error, I'm a total math dunce, so it DOES NOT surprise me). I threw everything into the TLS calculator.

Thanks for the tip about the thesis program. I'll start writing the e-mail... I was already thinking about it but... didn't want to commit until I had some opinions from more well-traveled TLS'ers. You certainly count, Knock :)
4 A+s would do it :P. Congrats! That's insane.

No problem. I certainly wish I could update my file with something like that :D.

Aggiegrad2011

Gold

Post by Aggiegrad2011 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:44 am

Knock wrote:
Aggiegrad2011 wrote:
Knock wrote:

4 A+s would do it :P. Congrats! That's insane.

No problem. I certainly wish I could update my file with something like that :D.
You did well on the LSAT, that's all you need for law school, unfortunately for me, stuck in reverse splitter hell. LOL :>

Thanks again for your help.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”