Should I mention my significant other?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
sdpadlaw

Should I mention my significant other?

Postby sdpadlaw » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:24 pm

I'm currently submitting my law school applications. My significant other will be receiving a phd in May. We are trying to move to a town/university where I would be able to attend law school at a great institution and my s.o. can get a competitive post-doctoral position that would advance future career prospects. We did a significant amount of research to come up with a list of schools that would be great fits for both of us. Recently, my s.o. received a great post-doc offer to work with a prestigious faculty member at the school that was at the top of our list. Should I mention this in my application? I'm afraid it might imply that my interest in the school is driven by my s.o., which its not. But, it certainly is a factor that will influence both our decisions. My undergrad gpa is slightly above the median and lsat at the median for the school in question.

bk1

Re: Should I mention my significant other?

Postby bk1 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:26 pm

I definitely wouldn't.

glitter178

Postby glitter178 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:28 pm

sdpadlaw wrote:I'm currently submitting my law school applications. My significant other will be receiving a phd in May. We are trying to move to a town/university where I would be able to attend law school at a great institution and my s.o. can get a competitive post-doctoral position that would advance future career prospects. We did a significant amount of research to come up with a list of schools that would be great fits for both of us. Recently, my s.o. received a great post-doc offer to work with a prestigious faculty member at the school that was at the top of our list. Should I mention this in my application? I'm afraid it might imply that my interest in the school is driven by my s.o., which its not. But, it certainly is a factor that will influence both our decisions. My undergrad gpa is slightly above the median and lsat at the median for the school in question.

no, but you better hurry up and submit. it's going to get harder and harder to get in with numbers right at the median as the time passes.

godofcoffee

Postby godofcoffee » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:29 pm

bk1 wrote:I definitely wouldn't.

Seconded. I can't imagine how you'd bring it up, anyway. In the legacies section? In the "Why X" essay? I dropped it in passing during one of my interviews, and even though it didn't end up mattering I regretted it afterward.

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:30 pm

No you should not, because it does imply that your list of schools is limited by your s.o.'s post doc. It says that "I want to go to your school, but only because you're the best of my limited options."

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”