Updating Transcript

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
saito816

Updating Transcript

Postby saito816 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:11 pm

I have a slight problem, at least I'm hoping it's slight. Due to hitting my two hardest accounting courses during a bout of senioritis :oops: I ended up with 2 B's which dropped my overall gpa 0.04 points down to a lowish 3.8, because of this, I wasn't planning on updating my transcript since as a reverse-splitting URM my GPA is all I had going for me. However, recently a T14 school in the MVP range sent me a short email asking if I had sent my fall grades to LSAC yet. This particular school is notorious for wait-listing, so I was pretty surprised about the request for info, perhaps that means they are considering me after all. Anyway, I'm not really sure how to respond, since I'm still under review at a few other t14s and I'm worried that it will hurt me with my apps at the other schools, since they have not requested fall grades, and then will see the drop in GPA. Any advice would be appreciated.

bk1

Re: Updating Transcript

Postby bk1 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:14 pm

Are they actually requesting that you send in your grades?

Best advice in this situation: retake the LSAT.

saito816

Postby saito816 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:40 pm

No, the email just asked if I had sent it, it didn't actually request for me to send it. On a side not I just got an acceptance packet from Michigan, this afternoon so I'm suddenly quite a bit less concerned about this email :shock:. It also lessens any chance that I'll retake :wink:. Anyway though, back on topic, since it wasn't an actual request I'm really not sure whether or not I should respond by sending in a transcript, since it could hurt me elsewhere, or just emailing the school back to say that I haven't and ask if they need me to.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:46 pm

I mean they didn't ask you to, but they are probably implying that they would like to see them.

saito816

Postby saito816 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:08 pm

Do you think it would hurt me at the other schools I'm under review at?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:08 pm

saito816 wrote:Do you think it would hurt me at the other schools I'm under review at?

Only if it drops you below their median GPA.

saito816

Postby saito816 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:41 pm

I'm leaning towards not updating my LSAC account. The only school that I am waiting on where my numbers would drop below the median is the school requesting my fall grades. With that in mind, I'm thinking updating it might hurt me at the other schools while also making me a prime target for a waitlist at the school that is requesting the grades. Should I offer to have my undergrad send my updated transcript directly to the school wanting an update, or is that generally not done? Does anyone else have any input?

T6Hopeful

Postby T6Hopeful » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:45 pm

saito816 wrote:I'm leaning towards not updating my LSAC account. The only school that I am waiting on where my numbers would drop below the median is the school requesting my fall grades. With that in mind, I'm thinking updating it might hurt me at the other schools while also making me a prime target for a waitlist at the school that is requesting the grades. Should I offer to have my undergrad send my updated transcript directly to the school wanting an update, or is that generally not done? Does anyone else have any input?

Give UVA a call and ask them to clarify!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”