How much more competitive is law school admissions in Jan?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
hjag

How much more competitive is law school admissions in Jan?

Postby hjag » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:06 am

I know this is late in the cycle, but I was wondering if anyone could give me a more detailed assessment of how things will look this late in the cycle. All people seem to say is, "Your numbers become more important." Assuming you have the numbers, in what other ways might one be disadvantaged?

I was trying to reason it through, and it seemed to make more sense to me that the application process would be more competitive early on in the cycle - when the best applicants are sending their apps through. But this does not appear to be the case. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

ahduth

Re: How much more competitive is law school admissions in Jan?

Postby ahduth » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:35 am

Since virtually all schools do rolling admissions, there are far fewer seats available in January versus October. And since they've been sitting on a number of borderline applications since October (applications that are near their LSAT/GPA median probably, but not quite there), you have to have a more compelling application than those people. Furthermore, it will become more of a numbers game, because schools will have already found a diverse people with which they want to round out their classes - at this point they may be looking primarily to push their USNWR ranking up for next year.

Also, I'm not sure the "best" applicants always send their stuff through in October. TLS would like to think they are entirety of the "best" applicants, but there are enough people sending in 177/3.9s late in the game to make them a non-negligible factor. So you're not only competing against borderline applicants from before, but high scorers from December, people who are lazy and brilliant, people who decided to give law school a shot at the last minute, etc...

hjag

Re: How much more competitive is law school admissions in Jan?

Postby hjag » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:31 am

I know a really stellar applicant to Vandy medical school who applied early and got rejected. He called to ask why, and they told him he was applying at a time when a lot of other superb applications were coming in (3.9GPAs and 40MCATs - like 175+ on the LSAT), so the timing of his application really hurt him.

This made me wonder why law school admissions should be any different. I believe that applying in Jan may hurt my chances considering what many admissions officers have said, I just still don't see the logic behind it...
Sure there are many last minute applications - people who decided to put off apps, people who received stellar Dec. LSATs, and people who decided to give law school a shot at the last min.
But still, I don't see why there would be more of these people than those who had their things together early on in the game and applied early, too. Not a lot of people actually take the Dec. LSATs compared with June and Oct, after all.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”