Totally Irresponsible?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
plum
Posts: 291
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:21 pm

Re: Totally Irresponsible?

Postby plum » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:41 am

it doesn't matter what a great year you'll have, because when you come back you'll have to face your miserable life again. i guess if you just want some happy memories to hold on to, then go for it.

paulinaporizkova
Posts: 2494
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: Totally Irresponsible?

Postby paulinaporizkova » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:00 pm

Shooter wrote:Live the dream.

Livethedreamlivethedreamlivethedream.


God, I would LOVE to know what this actually means.

User avatar
lolschool2011
Posts: 269
Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:14 pm

Re: Totally Irresponsible?

Postby lolschool2011 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:10 pm

guinness wrote:I've been slaving at a job for a few years that I hate but pays very well. I've saved quite a bit and am hoping that when scores come out I'll be able to snag a full ride at a T3 (shouldn't be much of a stretch === Hopefully).

Once admitted / full ride in hand, I am considering throwing up the big proverbial middle finger at work and spending the time in between work and school living out my life time dream, backpacking Europe. This would cost me ~10,000 which I could easily pay for with my part of my savings. It wouldn't, however, leave me with a ton left over for living expenses in school. I know the realities of a T3 and that taking on debt for living expenses is the WORST but will 10k really make a difference? Work has gotten to a point that I just can't bare for another day, let alone another 6 months. I'll grit my teeth and get through a few months in spending lock down mode.

Any thoughts?


Do it, don't be a pussy. Life is short and europe is beautiful.

User avatar
nyyankees
Posts: 484
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:50 am

Re: Totally Irresponsible?

Postby nyyankees » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:24 pm

haha I did this and more, i had a bunch of UG loans, worked a job for a year and a half, quit at the beginning of last november, studied for the LSAT for a few weeks, applied to a bunch of schools then left in march for 6 months around the world, it was BY FAR the best decision i ever made. I cannot stress this enough. Now being in law school I see sooo many people stressed out about so many things and i sit back and I cannot complain because I had the best six months of my life.

I spent 14k, i wouldnt let the money be a deciding factor. For me, it was more about the fact that i felt like i did "the right thing" a billion times in my life and always made "the right move" for my future, and it was a dream of mine for a long time that i really wanted to do.

User avatar
lolschool2011
Posts: 269
Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:14 pm

Re: Totally Irresponsible?

Postby lolschool2011 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:46 pm

nyyankees wrote:haha I did this and more, i had a bunch of UG loans, worked a job for a year and a half, quit at the beginning of last november, studied for the LSAT for a few weeks, applied to a bunch of schools then left in march for 6 months around the world, it was BY FAR the best decision i ever made. I cannot stress this enough. Now being in law school I see sooo many people stressed out about so many things and i sit back and I cannot complain because I had the best six months of my life.

I spent 14k, i wouldnt let the money be a deciding factor. For me, it was more about the fact that i felt like i did "the right thing" a billion times in my life and always made "the right move" for my future, and it was a dream of mine for a long time that i really wanted to do.


TTIWWP

User avatar
URMdan
Posts: 402
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:03 pm

Re: Totally Irresponsible?

Postby URMdan » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:50 pm

Invest in recreational drugs and keep working/saving

User avatar
nyyankees
Posts: 484
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:50 am

Re: Totally Irresponsible?

Postby nyyankees » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:37 pm

lolschool2011 wrote:
nyyankees wrote:haha I did this and more, i had a bunch of UG loans, worked a job for a year and a half, quit at the beginning of last november, studied for the LSAT for a few weeks, applied to a bunch of schools then left in march for 6 months around the world, it was BY FAR the best decision i ever made. I cannot stress this enough. Now being in law school I see sooo many people stressed out about so many things and i sit back and I cannot complain because I had the best six months of my life.

I spent 14k, i wouldnt let the money be a deciding factor. For me, it was more about the fact that i felt like i did "the right thing" a billion times in my life and always made "the right move" for my future, and it was a dream of mine for a long time that i really wanted to do.


TTIWWP


haha you dont want pics. Probably the only bad thing that came of the entire trip was that throughout the semester i would look back at my pictures and realize i gave that up for 9am contracts. I love law school and pics make me think twice.

TheOcho
Posts: 394
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:46 pm

Re: Totally Irresponsible?

Postby TheOcho » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:46 pm

Since you've clarified the extent of your savings, I would say take the trip. Unless you get kidnapped and sold as a sex slave in Romania, I don't see how you would regret it. Have fun.

User avatar
emhellmer
Posts: 183
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:53 am

Re: Totally Irresponsible?

Postby emhellmer » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:06 pm

jdhonest wrote:No, it is not totally irresponsible, and I strongly suspect that the posters indicating otherwise are 1) young and inexperienced 2) way too high strung and 3) not the type of people you should be listening too.

If you can achieve your dream by spending 10k of money that you have saved, then I say you do it. Life is way too short and full of worthless crap that you will be forced to do to give up the things that you really want to do. As someone with WE, you quickly realize that you will be working the rest of your life to pay for something, e.g. a mortgage, cars, children, rent, bills. And while it is certainly prudent to minimize unnecessary costs, you also come to realize that you can't spend money when you're dead and when you look back at life, you're far more likely to regret the year of your life that you could have spent living the dream but didn't than the $10,000. You absolutely will, especially if you become a lawyer.

Now I suspect that some of the above posters will come to feast on my post. They'll point out that maybe they're not to young, or that my way of thinking has caused yada yada yada. They'll point out how reasoning can be taken to the extreme to produce from absurd consequences. Listen to them not. Instead, I want you to ask yourself the following: when your time on Earth is nearing it's end, will you find yourself regretting having not taken that year off, or starting the rest of your working career (as a lawyer) with 10K less than what you could have had.


+10. I don't even see the debate. What the hell else are you going to do with $10 grand? Put it in a CD, blah blah blah blah? Yes, if you invest it now you'll almost certainly earn enough interest to buy one of the nicer caskets. You sound disciplined and hard working; you'll get another job after law school, and keeping your debt load light is a wise choice. Don't even take the "TTT" nonsense into consideration. I assume you don't have any children. Just wait until those come along. Then you will never ever ever be able to do something so foolish, reckless, and irresponsible ever again. Go for it!

User avatar
fundamentallybroken
Posts: 663
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:52 am

Re: Totally Irresponsible?

Postby fundamentallybroken » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:43 pm

TheOcho wrote:Since you've clarified the extent of your savings, I would say take the trip. Unless you get kidnapped and sold as a sex slave in Romania, I don't see how you would regret it. Have fun.


I've been to Romania. I'd say there's no nicer place to be kidnapped and sold into sex slavery. You should see my PS.

User avatar
cinephile
Posts: 3469
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:50 pm

Re: Totally Irresponsible?

Postby cinephile » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:56 pm

You won't have another opportunity to take several months off to backpack across Europe until you reach retirement, so you might as well go for it now.

CM612
Posts: 133
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:58 pm

Re: Totally Irresponsible?

Postby CM612 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:07 pm

Do it. I took 3.5 months last year to do the same thing and don't regret it for a second. It provided me with the distance and perspective that I needed to get things together when I got back and I doubt I'll get another chance anytime soon since I'll be starting school in the fall. IMO you'll never feel like it was a bad decision if you go but you'll always regret it if you don't.

User avatar
TUP
Posts: 255
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:00 am

Re: Totally Irresponsible?

Postby TUP » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:20 pm

To those that have done it, did you travel solo?

CM612
Posts: 133
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:58 pm

Re: Totally Irresponsible?

Postby CM612 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:23 pm

TUP wrote:To those that have done it, did you travel solo?


I've traveled solo and with friends in both India and all over Europe. I never had any problems either place. People were really nice but part of that may be because I'm a woman who looks about 15.

TheOcho
Posts: 394
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:46 pm

Re: Totally Irresponsible?

Postby TheOcho » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:27 pm

fundamentallybroken wrote:I've been to Romania. I'd say there's no nicer place to be kidnapped and sold into sex slavery. You should see my PS.


Haha, good to know.

User avatar
AreJay711
Posts: 3406
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: Totally Irresponsible?

Postby AreJay711 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:27 pm

CM612 wrote:
TUP wrote:To those that have done it, did you travel solo?


I've traveled solo and with friends in both India and all over Europe. I never had any problems either place. People were really nice but part of that may be because I'm a woman who looks about 15.

You were like the most prime target ever lol. That lends credence to what you said though.

CM612
Posts: 133
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:58 pm

Re: Totally Irresponsible?

Postby CM612 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:30 pm

AreJay711 wrote:
CM612 wrote:
TUP wrote:To those that have done it, did you travel solo?


I've traveled solo and with friends in both India and all over Europe. I never had any problems either place. People were really nice but part of that may be because I'm a woman who looks about 15.

You were like the most prime target ever lol. That lends credence to what you said though.


Exactly! In most situations you just need to be smart and know how to handle yourself.

My only major advise is that if you're going to travel alone for an extended period, make sure you're able to deal with that much alone time. If you can't go an hour without talking/texting, it's probably not a good choice for you.

guinness
Posts: 72
Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:19 pm

Re: Totally Irresponsible?

Postby guinness » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:53 pm

To clarify, no kids, no house, no debt. Just a car that is fully paid for (that I can sell as a small part of my savings (already accounted for)).

Now if I could only get my Dec score back and see if I can enact this plan (or put it off a year to study more)....sigh.

User avatar
nyyankees
Posts: 484
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:50 am

Re: Totally Irresponsible?

Postby nyyankees » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:47 pm

CM612 wrote:
AreJay711 wrote:
CM612 wrote:
TUP wrote:To those that have done it, did you travel solo?


I've traveled solo and with friends in both India and all over Europe. I never had any problems either place. People were really nice but part of that may be because I'm a woman who looks about 15.

You were like the most prime target ever lol. That lends credence to what you said though.


Exactly! In most situations you just need to be smart and know how to handle yourself.

My only major advise is that if you're going to travel alone for an extended period, make sure you're able to deal with that much alone time. If you can't go an hour without talking/texting, it's probably not a good choice for you.


im not sure how much i agree with that. im a pretty outgoing person, so this trip gave me a rare opportunity to spend time with myself in ways that i hadnt because i always surrounded myself with people. You should recognize that there is a lot of alone time, and a lot of opportunity to introduce yourself to strangers and find new friends and these experiences might not be what you are used to. However, sometimes its exactly what you need to find yourself or get out of your shell etc etc

to answer the question, i traveled alone for 6 months. Me and a backpack.

User avatar
lolschool2011
Posts: 269
Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:14 pm

Re: Totally Irresponsible?

Postby lolschool2011 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:55 pm

nyyankees wrote:im not sure how much i agree with that. im a pretty outgoing promiscuous person, so this trip gave me a rare opportunity to spend time have sex with myself a variety of european chicks in ways that i hadnt because i always surrounded myself with prude Americans people. You should recognize that there is a lot of alone time, and a lot of opportunity to introduce yourself sexually to strangers and find new friends and these experiences might not be what you are used to. However, sometimes its exactly what you need to find yourself or get out of your shell clothes, etc etc

to answer the question, i traveled alone enjoyed sex with euro chicks for 6 months. Me and backpack euro chicks, it was bellissimo.


fixt for truthfullness

User avatar
nyyankees
Posts: 484
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:50 am

Re: Totally Irresponsible?

Postby nyyankees » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:22 pm

lolschool2011 wrote:
nyyankees wrote:im not sure how much i agree with that. im a pretty outgoing promiscuous person, so this trip gave me a rare opportunity to spend time have sex with myself a variety of european chicks in ways that i hadnt because i always surrounded myself with prude Americans people. You should recognize that there is a lot of alone time, and a lot of opportunity to introduce yourself sexually to strangers and find new friends and these experiences might not be what you are used to. However, sometimes its exactly what you need to find yourself or get out of your shell clothes, etc etc

to answer the question, i traveled alone enjoyed sex with euro chicks for 6 months. Me and backpack euro chicks, it was bellissimo.


fixt for truthfullness

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Alexa [Bot], Baidu [Spider], BuddyHoller, Google [Bot], hogscienceavatarlost, Mr. Archer and 5 guests