Multiple LORs from same internship

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
URMdan

Multiple LORs from same internship

Postby URMdan » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:25 pm

I was able to get 3 excellent LORs from my internship with the AGs office and was wondering if using more than 1 of them in addition to an academic LOR is appropriate.

fundamentallybroken

Re: Multiple LORs from same internship

Postby fundamentallybroken » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:14 pm

URMdan wrote:I was able to get 3 excellent LORs from my internship with the AGs office and was wondering if using more than 1 of them in addition to an academic LOR is appropriate.

I would say it depends on who they're from/what level they are at the AG. On some of my applications, I used one from a deputy commissioner of mine, and on others I used one from the actual commissioner (think VP and Pres in business). On a few, I used both, but only because they were different enough to justify using them together.

So, if you had, say, a letter from an AAG who worked closely with you and one from the actual AG who only barely oversaw your work, you'd probably be okay using them together. If they're all AAGs who worked closely with you though, they might be redundant. Using the LORs to complete a picture of you is the key, and 3 that say the same thing don't complete the picture.

Concept

Postby Concept » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:41 pm

URMdan wrote:I was able to get 3 excellent LORs from my internship with the AGs office and was wondering if using more than 1 of them in addition to an academic LOR is appropriate.

I'm a little skeptical of this approach. It won't hurt to have different letters of recommendation from different people in the office, but I don't know if I would submit them together to every school.

Two letters from AAG can work if you were directly assisting one, and then you were assigned to assist another. If you have a supervisor change as well, that may make the use of two letters appropriate. But if your responsibilities/position didn't change, and you will simply use two redundant letters from the internship, then I wouldn't go with it.

If you have your heart set on getting two letters anyway, though, I would spin it - I would ask one AAG to write a letter emphasizing what you did at the job (responsibilities and leadership) and how you excelled. I would ask the other AAG to write one about my ability to think critically within a legal framework. I don't know how personally acquainted you are with them. At the law firm I currently work for, my boss kinda outright asked me: "What should I write about?" Maybe they will appreciate guidance from you regarding the LORs.

URMdan

Postby URMdan » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:04 am

Allow me to elaborate a little bit..

I actually have 3 LORs in total - 2 from AAGs, and one from the Deputy AG which basically says they got a chance to oversee all of my work and that he was super impressed yadda yadda yadda...

One AAG wrote a letter from a professional standpoint and the other wrote one from a personal standpoint. The key things that the professional LOR says is:

-demonstrated a strong work ethic, an ability to learn rapidly, and an acute attention to detail
-wrote drafts of motions that included analyzing multiple cases and applying the cases to the applicable fact patterns
-possess a sharp analytical mind and is able to process legal fact patterns well

The key points from the personal LOR says:

-my performance exceeded many of the other law school interns that they have worked with
-bright and inquisitive
-talks about what I did in detail and how I often caught their mistakes in the arraignment court that I helped in
-literally calls me a "people person" and that everyone in the office respected me very much and they will be sad to see my "smile go"
-threw me a birthday party at the end of my internship

Ironically I'm leaning towards the professional LOR because I feel as though its more appropriate, but your insight has made me reconsider sending in the personal one as well. What are your thoughts?

fundamentallybroken

Postby fundamentallybroken » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:38 am

If you only choose one, go with the professional one - it sounds like it would speak more to your ability to succeed in law school. If you do two, do the professional and the deputy.

Everyone is a people person. It just depends on the kinds of people (and how they treat them.)

URMdan

Postby URMdan » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:01 pm

Do you think it would help my cause to use two?

I am currently using only 1 academic LOR and the professional LOR for all of my apps. Would it help/hurt to throw in the Deputy LOR as well?

One last thing, the personal LOR forgot to put a date at the top, is that a problem?

URMdan

Postby URMdan » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:40 pm

Anyone else want to chime in?

URMdan

Postby URMdan » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:29 am

you got to Bump it up

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”