Mentioning poker somewhere on my application? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
LSATscoreReleseYoslf

New

Mentioning poker somewhere on my application?

Post by LSATscoreReleseYoslf » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:41 pm

This is not any kind of brag post as I'll have you know my LSAT score (mid 160's) pales in comparison to many of the impressive posters on this site.

I've made well over 100k playing online poker and it has served as my sole source of income at times since graduating from college. It is something I am very proud of, due to the fact that I have put a lot of time into first learning the game and continuing to study it. It demands a lot of self control, logical thinking, and I have really approached it as a full time job when I have not been otherwise gainfully employed. It served as my sole income when I interned for 9 months post college. My question to you guys is, should I mention it on my resume? I am wondering if poker have a bad enough connotation with some people where this would potentially only hurt me. How do you think I could phrase this on my resume if I was to include it? Interested in your thoughts and good luck to everyone, who like me, has been spending way too much time reading random posts on this strangely comforting message board.

Renzo

Gold

Re: Mentioning poker somewhere on my application?

Post by Renzo » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:47 pm

The admissions folks won't care either way. They aren't going to be impressed, but there won't be any moralistic finger-wagging either. That said, it will be a great thing to talk about in job interviews.

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:51 pm

LSATscoreReleseYoslf wrote:This is not any kind of brag post as I'll have you know my LSAT score (mid 160's) pales in comparison to many of the impressive posters on this site.

I've made well over 100k playing online poker and it has served as my sole source of income at times since graduating from college. It is something I am very proud of, due to the fact that I have put a lot of time into first learning the game and continuing to study it. It demands a lot of self control, logical thinking, and I have really approached it as a full time job when I have not been otherwise gainfully employed. It served as my sole income when I interned for 9 months post college. My question to you guys is, should I mention it on my resume? I am wondering if poker have a bad enough connotation with some people where this would potentially only hurt me. How do you think I could phrase this on my resume if I was to include it? Interested in your thoughts and good luck to everyone, who like me, has been spending way too much time reading random posts on this strangely comforting message board.
Paid taxes on that income right?

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:55 pm

reasonable_man wrote:
LSATscoreReleseYoslf wrote:This is not any kind of brag post as I'll have you know my LSAT score (mid 160's) pales in comparison to many of the impressive posters on this site.

Lawyers take the fun out of anything.

LSATscoreReleseYoslf

New

Post by LSATscoreReleseYoslf » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:57 pm

I knew someone was going to ask that. Sure did.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:57 pm

reasonable_man wrote:

The correct answer is "yes". IDK I still think this would be a pretty cool thing to talk about (others have asked similar questions). A professional poker player sounds pretty badass even though you were probably just screwing newbs out of their money.

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:03 pm

LSATscoreReleseYoslf wrote:I knew someone was going to ask that. Sure did.

I'd save it for interview fodder... Its not going to help you get in, so why risk the negative impact of some tightwad adcom holding it against you?

DamnLSAT

Bronze

Post by DamnLSAT » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:46 pm

I'd mention it if you had no other job during that time. I think adcomms would rather see you doing something as opposed to nothing.

TommyK

Silver

Post by TommyK » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:10 pm

Best case scenario: you get somebody who has played poker and appreciates it for the same reasons you do or thinks it's sweet because he's seen Rounders. Probably wouldn't be a huge plus in his/her (probably his) mind.

Worst case scenario: you get somebody who doesn't play poker, and doesn't appreciate it for the same reasons you do and it carries a decided negative. Likely could be a huge negative in his/her mind.

I'm risk-averse so I wouldn't mention it. I just don't see the potential gain. The vast majority of people who are "really into" playing poker are net losers when it comes to cash, and when it comes to life. While I used to play on a regular basis (and while I didn't pull down the cash you were, I did make $30-50/hr during grad school), even I have a negative view of people who bring it up as a defining interest.

You're a poker player - think about it like a poker player. What's the EV of this? On the aggregate, you're looking at a negative EV.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

CMDantes

Bronze

Post by CMDantes » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:44 pm

Take the small risk and write about it. I'm of the mindset that no one really did anything important or got anywhere worth being without undertaking a little bit of risk.

It's something you honestly enjoy and are proud about, and that will show in your writing. I really don't think any adcomm will see it and say "Oh my! Gambling is wrong!" and throw your application in the garbage. I mean I really really doubt this would happen even at a school like Notre Dame.

Concept

New

Post by Concept » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:45 pm

Make sure online poker is legal in your state. Also, that the site you are using follows all federal laws regarding depositing money to fund your account. It may turn out badly if you were associated with a site that is known to break federal laws or something. You probably have already done this, but just make sure.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”