Too many LORs??

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
alexb

Too many LORs??

Postby alexb » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:53 pm

Sorry if this is a dumb question. I've found mixed responses so far.

I have three academic LORs. The recommended number is two, but they accept four. Is sending three too many?

bport hopeful

Re: Too many LORs??

Postby bport hopeful » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:54 pm

If they accept four sending three is fine. The recommended number is more of a minimum.

NYC_7911

Postby NYC_7911 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:54 pm

General wisdom seems to be that it's always better to send more than the required, so 3 should be just right.

alexb

Postby alexb » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:57 pm

Thanks guys! :)

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:59 pm

bport hopeful wrote:If they accept four sending three is fine. The recommended number is more of a minimum.

NYC_7911 wrote:General wisdom seems to be that it's always better to send more than the required, so 3 should be just right.

wut.

From what I've read and IMO, the recommended is usually the best number of LOR's to send. Generally you should send the extra if you really think it's going to say something completely different than the other two. The third one may not even be read (because they asked for TWO not three) so you may want to consider which two of your letters will be the strongest and send those.

NYC_7911

Postby NYC_7911 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:02 pm

* shrug * It's just a matter of opinion, but 3 seems to be a pretty standard number. I sent 4 b/c I wanted to include a grad school one, and chances are at least 1 of those was never read, but it didn't seem to have any negative impact on my application. Just do what you think is best, but DON'T feel obligated to submit 3 if you feel like you're scraping for the third and it will be weak.

alexb

Postby alexb » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:04 pm

I think they will all be quite strong. I went to a really small school for my UG and got to know my professors really well, since I necessarily had them for so many classes.

alexb

Postby alexb » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:08 pm

LSpleaseee wrote:
bport hopeful wrote:If they accept four sending three is fine. The recommended number is more of a minimum.

NYC_7911 wrote:General wisdom seems to be that it's always better to send more than the required, so 3 should be just right.

wut.

From what I've read and IMO, the recommended is usually the best number of LOR's to send. Generally you should send the extra if you really think it's going to say something completely different than the other two. The third one may not even be read (because they asked for TWO not three) so you may want to consider which two of your letters will be the strongest and send those.

Thanks for the input! Hmm. Seems reasonable, but why would they let me send them more, if they would just get upset about it or something? I dunno.

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:14 pm

LSpleaseee wrote:
wut.

I really dont think this is the right answer. They will read all of your letters. They even say that you can send four. Most schools will put a limit and many will make a minimum. It seems that the school youre applying to limitted you to four and suggests that you send at least two.

albanach

Postby albanach » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:16 pm

The Ivey guide says if a school asks for two you should have a very good reason [emphasis hers] to submit more than two.

krad

Postby krad » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:20 pm

bport hopeful wrote:
LSpleaseee wrote:
wut.

I really dont think this is the right answer. They will read all of your letters. They even say that you can send four. Most schools will put a limit and many will make a minimum. It seems that the school youre applying to limitted you to four and suggests that you send at least two.

I don't think they'd necessarily read them all. As LSP said, they're not required. They wouldn't be upset if you submitted more than they required/up to their limit.

IMO LORs aren't make or break, unless they're horrible. A great LOR may help you, but it probably won't do much (see your LSAT/GPA)... A good LOR won't hurt your app and most people have decent LORs. A bad LOR will hurt your app.

If I were in your shoes I'd just submit the best two (or however many are required) and save the third for a WL/LOCI situation, unless you really can't decide. They may read all three, but they may not. The world will never know...

Edit: spelling police

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:17 pm

i just got accepted to UVA today and i sent in 4 (the max number - when they say they require 2).... honestly, the reason i did it was because there were 4 slots on the application to name recommenders, so i just decided to send all 4 of mine so i wouldn't leave any blank spaces. (OCDDDD) after i sent all of them i sorta regretted it, but i guess it didn't bother them too much?

smears

Postby smears » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:27 pm

What if you've got more than a school accepts? Is there a way to sneak those in or just directly mail them or something?

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:28 pm

smears wrote:What if you've got more than a school accepts? Is there a way to sneak those in or just directly mail them or something?

Lol. Don't send more than the maximum.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:33 pm

albanach wrote:The Ivey guide says if a school asks for two you should have a very good reason [emphasis hers] to submit more than two.

What context was her statement in? If a school (and so many do this) is pretty vague about how many it is recommending beyond its minimum, or uses "we recommend ______ LORs" or "we recommend at least ______ LORs" language rather than "we recommend no more than ______ LORs" language, I don't see a problem with submitting above their recommended amount. I had 3 LOR writers and I'm pretty sure I sent all 3 LORs to all schools to which I applied.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”