Gates???

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
lisjjen
Posts: 1242
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:19 am

Gates???

Postby lisjjen » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:29 pm

The University of Washington is my guilty little pleasure. Even though I've already been offered significant money at much higher ranked institutions, I would LOVE to attend school, work, live and retire in Seattle. On another thread, SBL suggested that with my affinity for the NW, the Gates scholarship would be optimal. Full tuition, books, fees, room and board and incidental costs is pretty damn sexy.

Today I got an email with them strongly recommending I apply for the Gates scholarship. They even used an exclamation point. However, there is that whole, 5 years in public service thing. Should I apply for it, I already submitted my application in October and have been processing since 12/1? I am a URM with numbers right at their medians so I would hope for some kind of $$$ anyways, just not the full package.

Thoughts?

zephyr36
Posts: 165
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:49 am

Re: Gates???

Postby zephyr36 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:42 pm

I got the e-mail too. My numbers are above both 75's for UW. I am forgoing applying. I'm also hoping for some money. I'll likely end up at UW if I don't crack the T-14 because I, too would love to live in the PNW. I do want to work in the public sector, but those jobs are tough to get in that region, so I wouldn't want to lock myself out of working for a firm if it came down to that. Like I already said, I'm hoping for some good money from them anyway.

User avatar
lisjjen
Posts: 1242
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:19 am

Re: Gates???

Postby lisjjen » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:50 pm

zephyr36 wrote:I got the e-mail too. My numbers are above both 75's for UW. I am forgoing applying. I'm also hoping for some money. I'll likely end up at UW if I don't crack the T-14 because I, too would love to live in the PNW. I do want to work in the public sector, but those jobs are tough to get in that region, so I wouldn't want to lock myself out of working for a firm if it came down to that. Like I already said, I'm hoping for some good money from them anyway.


Cool. Maybe we'll meet each other sometime this year. I've already cracked the T14 twice, but every time I start thinking about Ann Arbor or Ithica, I start to see Pike's Place in the back of my head.

jaestro
Posts: 48
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:50 pm

Re: Gates???

Postby jaestro » Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:28 pm

Not to be a debbie downer, but I got that same e-mail, and I really doubt I will even be accepted.

User avatar
deja
Posts: 171
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:51 pm

Re: Gates???

Postby deja » Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:36 pm

jaestro wrote:Not to be a debbie downer, but I got that same e-mail, and I really doubt I will even be accepted.


Over at the UW thread in Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists, there are a whole bunch of people in that same boat. I am totally with OP on the love for the Pacific NW, along with UW though. Even though it was a mass email sent out to everyone who applied (by the sound of it), it sounds like it is still worth your time if it's congruent with your post law school career goals.

The one challenging part is that it requires two custom LORs specifically for the Gates scholly, which can be hard to have turned in on two weeks notice.

User avatar
lisjjen
Posts: 1242
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:19 am

Re: Gates???

Postby lisjjen » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:36 pm

jaestro wrote:Not to be a debbie downer, but I got that same e-mail, and I really doubt I will even be accepted.


Image
oh

User avatar
lisjjen
Posts: 1242
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:19 am

Re: Gates???

Postby lisjjen » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:39 pm

But seriously, I don't know if I have a shot or not but I was just wondering hypothetically speaking.

I guess the main thrust of the question is, would a full ride with the 5 year commitment to public service hurt my chances at other scholarships if I decide I don't really feel like PS?

mala2
Posts: 225
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:39 am

Re: Gates???

Postby mala2 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:42 pm

I think you should apply, if you love Seattle. 5 years isn't really that long and you'll probably be a better person for it

zephyr36
Posts: 165
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:49 am

Re: Gates???

Postby zephyr36 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:18 pm

lisjjen wrote:
zephyr36 wrote:I got the e-mail too. My numbers are above both 75's for UW. I am forgoing applying. I'm also hoping for some money. I'll likely end up at UW if I don't crack the T-14 because I, too would love to live in the PNW. I do want to work in the public sector, but those jobs are tough to get in that region, so I wouldn't want to lock myself out of working for a firm if it came down to that. Like I already said, I'm hoping for some good money from them anyway.


Cool. Maybe we'll meet each other sometime this year. I've already cracked the T14 twice, but every time I start thinking about Ann Arbor or Ithica, I start to see Pike's Place in the back of my head.


I'm guessing I will be waitlisted at most of the T14. I haven't sent my cornell app yet mainly because I wouldn't be willing to pay sticker to live in the arctic for 9 months out of the year. I applied ED to UVA which is my best shot at 14, so if I don't get that or solid money at a 15-20 school I'll be in Seattle.

trudat15
Posts: 900
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:57 pm

Re: Gates???

Postby trudat15 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:19 am

I thought Gates was only an undergrad thing. Does it work for LS as well? Only UW?

Aggiegrad2011
Posts: 1514
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: Gates???

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:39 am

http://www.law.washington.edu/GatesScholar/Default.aspx



I got this e-mail too. I guess everyone does. I've learned not to read into these things. I applied yesterday, though, so we'll see.

leodown
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:25 am

Postby leodown » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:39 am

banned

User avatar
MrSparkle
Posts: 154
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:06 pm

Re: Gates???

Postby MrSparkle » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:48 am

I really like Seattle too, so I understand. I'd give it a shot.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Why??? and 3 guests