Addenum for crimes

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Derekj032

Addenum for crimes

Postby Derekj032 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:56 pm

I have 6-7 misdemeanors on my record from 7 or more years ago. They are all for petty things like drinking underage, being in a park after hours etc...They all happened within a 2 year period of time and were just stupid rebellious mistakes. Nothing I did involved violence, theft or deceit, which is rumored to be the only misdemeanors that can hurt an applicant. I was going to list all my charges one at a time with an explanation of the circumstances but felt this would be extremely redundant. Would it be better if i just listed my charges w/dates and then follow that with a paragraph explaining how I except responsibility for my actions and that I have learned from my mistakes?

Ratchet Jackson

Re: Addenum for crimes

Postby Ratchet Jackson » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:52 pm

Derekj032 wrote:I have 6-7 misdemeanors on my record from 7 or more years ago. They are all for petty things like drinking underage, being in a park after hours etc...They all happened within a 2 year period of time and were just stupid rebellious mistakes. Nothing I did involved violence, theft or deceit, which is rumored to be the only misdemeanors that can hurt an applicant. I was going to list all my charges one at a time with an explanation of the circumstances but felt this would be extremely redundant. Would it be better if i just listed my charges w/dates and then follow that with a paragraph explaining how I except responsibility for my actions and that I have learned from my mistakes?

Your plan of action could be effective considering the volume of charges. Briefly but completely state the nature of each charge, then if you want to include a short few sentences explaining your acceptance of responsibility, I really do not see how it would negatively affect you unless you came of as less than contrite, or dishonest. Just be real. And most importantly, be on your best behavior because the LAST thing you want to do is mess up with those misdemanors already on your record. Prove to them that this was a completely isolated stage of your life. Best of luck to you.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”