To apply or not

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
amorfati

Re: To apply or not

Postby amorfati » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:28 pm

Wow, I just wiki'd it too... I did not even know this was a thing.

Still, getting brought downtown over a tattoo sounds awfully unlikely. I mean, where is this thing, on your forehead?

DukeCornell

Postby DukeCornell » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:30 pm

StillHerexxx wrote:There is a certain school, in a certain state, I want to apply to. They sent me an application fee waiver too, so that is helpful. The issue is, I have a certain affiliation I guess you could call it that would make me instantly get put into a certain file in that state and city. Is it worth applying? I think it could be counter productive, because it is a good school, but could fuck the whole becoming a lawyer thing up.

Retake. :lol:

DukeCornell

Postby DukeCornell » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:33 pm

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:35 pm

Veyron wrote:Yah, totally not the first time I've fucked up the use of this word. I completely avoid it in legal writing. Maybe if I get enough shit for it on teh interwebs I'll learn.

Ahh, I was actually 80% sure you used it humorously on purpose. As a point of clarification: there is no correct way to use this word since it's not a real word.

BlueDiamond

Postby BlueDiamond » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:35 pm

DukeCornell wrote:...

I thought it was funny.. somewhat overused.. but funny

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:42 pm

TommyK wrote:
Veyron wrote:Yah, totally not the first time I've fucked up the use of this word. I completely avoid it in legal writing. Maybe if I get enough shit for it on teh interwebs I'll learn.

Ahh, I was actually 80% sure you used it humorously on purpose. As a point of clarification: there is no correct way to use this word since it's not a real word.

Thats debatable. English doesn't have a standard list of words. People have been using the word "Irregardless" for 100 years. Perhaps the most that you could say is that the word is not conventional, informal, or not commonly used.

BrownBears09

Postby BrownBears09 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:48 pm

Veyron wrote:
TommyK wrote:

Thats debatable. English doesn't have a standard list of words. People have been using the word "Irregardless" for 100 years. Perhaps the most that you could say is that the word is not conventional, informal, or not commonly used.

It's not a real word, nor does temporal context have any substance in the argument. Regardless if it's been used incorrectly for 100 years, it doesn't (by default) make it correct. Alright?

johnnyutah

Postby johnnyutah » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:52 pm

Veyron wrote:
TommyK wrote:

Wait, wait, wait. Earlier, you were talking about people having to learn "proper" English, and now you're arguing that usage makes a word valid? Laaaaaaame :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:05 pm

Veyron wrote:
TommyK wrote:

I understand your implicit argument that language is dynamic by nature and words are frequently entering and exiting common and accepted use, but c'mon - irregardless? If we're going to use an incredibly broad definition of what can and can't be constituted a word, I'd like to humbly submit "uninflammable" to the list. It does after all, convey a pretty easily decodable meaning. Whooops, accidentally hijacked the thread. sorry.

jaestro

Postby jaestro » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:16 pm

I just learned something new (what straight edge means). I always thought drugs define rock. Straight edge is different.
Regardless, why can't you get the tattoos removed?

StillHerexxx

Postby StillHerexxx » Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:44 pm

Mainly I wouldn't want to. They still mean something to me, and both of my legs, upper arms, and torso have quite a few on them. Would cost too much and suck to have done.

RicketyCricket

Postby RicketyCricket » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:37 pm

Veyron wrote:
TommyK wrote:

Nice work refudiating TommyK's argument.

BrownBears09

Postby BrownBears09 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:28 am

RicketyCricket wrote:Nice work refudiating TommyK's argument.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:46 am

BrownBears09 wrote:
Veyron wrote:
TommyK wrote:

It's not a real word, nor does temporal context have any substance in the argument. Regardless if it's been used incorrectly for 100 years, it doesn't (by default) make it correct. Alright?

Ummmm, actually, a long period of use can make a word "real." Think about it like the common law, if something unconstitutionl is held to be the law often enough and for long enough, it eventually becomes the law. English doesn't have a "supreme court" to kick peoples' asses back into line.

Irregardless :D I still used the word incorrectly.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:52 am

[/quote] I understand your implicit argument that language is dynamic by nature and words are frequently entering and exiting common and accepted use, but c'mon - irregardless? If we're going to use an incredibly broad definition of what can and can't be constituted a word, I'd like to humbly submit "uninflammable" to the list. It does after all, convey a pretty easily decodable meaning. Whooops, accidentally hijacked the thread. sorry.[/quote]

Ironically enough, gas tankers used to have the word "inflamable" painted on the side until oil companies realized that motorists thought the word meant "does not burn" and behaved recklessly around them. They re-labeled them as "flammable." English is a practical language, there is no royal accademy to hold you back, only differenct circles with their own distinct code of acceptable uses.

CG614

Postby CG614 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:59 am

Veyron wrote:

Ummmm, actually, a long period of use can make a word "real." Think about it like the common law, if something unconstitutionl is held to be the law often enough and for long enough, it eventually becomes the law. English doesn't have a "supreme court" to kick peoples' asses back into line.

Irregardless :D I still used the word incorrectly.

What???? You go to UPenn?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”