To apply or not

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
StillHerexxx

To apply or not

Postby StillHerexxx » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:18 pm

There is a certain school, in a certain state, I want to apply to. They sent me an application fee waiver too, so that is helpful. The issue is, I have a certain affiliation I guess you could call it that would make me instantly get put into a certain file in that state and city. Is it worth applying? I think it could be counter productive, because it is a good school, but could fuck the whole becoming a lawyer thing up.

akili

Re: To apply or not

Postby akili » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:19 pm

StillHerexxx wrote:There is a certain school, in a certain state, I want to apply to. They sent me an application fee waiver too, so that is helpful. The issue is, I have a certain affiliation I guess you could call it that would make me instantly get put into a certain file in that state and city. Is it worth applying? I think it could be counter productive, because it is a good school, but could fuck the whole becoming a lawyer thing up.

What.

InLikeFlint

Postby InLikeFlint » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:19 pm

No one here has any idea what you are talking about and won't be able to give you any helpful advice unless you give more detail.

Retake.

glitter178

Postby glitter178 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:19 pm

StillHerexxx wrote:There is a certain school, in a certain state, I want to apply to. They sent me an application fee waiver too, so that is helpful. The issue is, I have a certain affiliation I guess you could call it that would make me instantly get put into a certain file in that state and city. Is it worth applying? I think it could be counter productive, because it is a good school, but could fuck the whole becoming a lawyer thing up.

going to have to be more specific than that, but i think you've answered your own question

StillHerexxx

Postby StillHerexxx » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:23 pm

Basically, I have an affiliation that in a couple of state gets you thrown into a gang file. If they see any markings that connect you too it, they bring you downtown. At first I figured I wouldn't apply, because its obvious that it would be dumb. But, its tempting. The clear anwser would be its dumb to apply or go, but its a solid school and a good fit otherwise.

RPK34

Postby RPK34 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:25 pm

StillHerexxx wrote:Basically, I have an affiliation that in a couple of state gets you thrown into a gang file. If they see any markings that connect you too it, they bring you downtown. At first I figured I wouldn't apply, because its obvious that it would be dumb. But, its tempting. The clear anwser would be its dumb to apply or go, but its a solid school and a good fit otherwise.

I'm pretty sure they cannot "bring you downtown" because you have markings that are connected with a certain gang.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:26 pm

StillHerexxx wrote:Basically, I have an affiliation that in a couple of state gets you thrown into a gang file. If they see any markings that connect you too it, they bring you downtown. At first I figured I wouldn't apply, because its obvious that it would be dumb. But, its tempting. The clear anwser would be its dumb to apply or go, but its a solid school and a good fit otherwise.

Just cover that shit up and go to the school.

InLikeFlint

Postby InLikeFlint » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:26 pm

Sounds like you're in a much better position to make this decision than any of us. I don't think this is something that falls into any category of conventional TLS wisdom, mang.

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:29 pm

akili wrote:What.

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:34 pm

InLikeFlint wrote:mang.

+1

jaestro

Postby jaestro » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:55 pm

Pretty sure you want to get the gang tattoo removed asap. If it is visible, I will make a bold prediction that your future employers will not find it professional, and they will not end up being your future employers. I am sure your past built character, but you don't want to give a message of gats and crack in the civil world.
Lesson learned: Why get a tattoo in the first place?

jaestro

Postby jaestro » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:55 pm

Pretty sure you want to get the gang tattoo removed asap. If it is visible, I will make a bold prediction that your future employers will not find it professional, and they will not end up being your future employers. I am sure your past built character, but you don't want to give a message of gats and crack in the civil world.
Lesson learned: Why get a tattoo in the first place?

bmore

Postby bmore » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:56 pm

Certainly

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:03 pm

Successful gang members have "reformed" and gone onto law school success. However, most of these people learned to speak proper English somewhere along the way.

BlueDiamond

Postby BlueDiamond » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:07 pm

I didn't know sex offenders were considering themselves a gang nowadays.

Edit: only a joke I know it's a serious crime cool your jets.

StillHerexxx

Postby StillHerexxx » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:10 pm

haha I have nothing to say to that. Its not even a gang affiliation. Two states are quacks and consider being straight edge a gang and toss you into a gang file. Thats what makes it such bullshit, because it isn't anything real or tangible as a gang.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:15 pm

StillHerexxx wrote:haha I have nothing to say to that. Its not even a gang affiliation. Two states are quacks and consider being straight edge a gang and toss you into a gang file. Thats what makes it such bullshit, because it isn't anything real or tangible as a gang.

Wait, how the fuck is being straight edge a gang. Isn't the point of that movement that you don't drink, fuck, smoke, etc am I thinking of another straight edge?

EDIT:

Crap, just wikid this shit - "individuals who are willing to resort to violence in order to promote clean living" lololololol DOTFL!

PS buddy, if you are going to beat up lawyers who drink, you better have arms that are impervious to fatigue.
Last edited by Veyron on Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

BlueDiamond

Postby BlueDiamond » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:17 pm

Veyron wrote:
StillHerexxx wrote:haha I have nothing to say to that. Its not even a gang affiliation. Two states are quacks and consider being straight edge a gang and toss you into a gang file. Thats what makes it such bullshit, because it isn't anything real or tangible as a gang.

Wait, how the fuck is being straight edge a gang. Isn't the point of that movement that you don't drink, fuck, or have any fun at all (in which case, the practice of law probably isn't for you anyway) or am I thinking of another straight edge?

the whole thing sounds like a pretty big lie to me.. I'm convinced that anyone truly in a gang that any form of law enforcement would care about would not be displaying their gang affiliations on TLS

johnnyutah

Postby johnnyutah » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:19 pm

No law school will give any part of a shit about whatever dipshit musical subculture you were part of when you were 14. Don't sweat it.

Veyron wrote:Successful gang members have "reformed" and gone onto law school success. However, most of these people learned to speak proper English somewhere along the way.

Prescriptive linguistics for the lose!

StillHerexxx

Postby StillHerexxx » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:20 pm

You are right. Long story short, in a couple of states there are straight edge kids that did violent things. So the police in those areas began equating those actions to the movement as a whole. Even though there is no real connection. It is basically a bunch of bullshit, but how it is none the less--very far from being a gang at all.

^You are probably right. The thing for me is a have a bunch of straight edge tattoos, but they can be covered up with a t-shirt and jeans. So in theory, I would be fine.
Last edited by StillHerexxx on Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:22 pm

StillHerexxx wrote:You are right. Long story short, in a couple of states there are straight edge kids that did violent things. So the police in those areas began equating those actions to the movement as a whole. Even though there is no real connection. It is basically a bunch of bullshit, but how it is none the less--very far from being a gang at all.

Irregardless, if you were militant enough straight-edge to get tats you must be an insufferable douchetack (and have terrible taste in music).

StillHerexxx

Postby StillHerexxx » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:25 pm

In all honesty, I don't hangout with anyone that is straight edge anymore because a lot of them are douches. I do it for myself. I go to bars, party, and even, at times, have fun. I mostly listen to Bowie and Neil Young, best music there is.

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:26 pm

Veyron wrote:
StillHerexxx wrote:You are right. Long story short, in a couple of states there are straight edge kids that did violent things. So the police in those areas began equating those actions to the movement as a whole. Even though there is no real connection. It is basically a bunch of bullshit, but how it is none the less--very far from being a gang at all.

Irregardless, if you were militant enough straight-edge to get tats you must be an insufferable douchetack (and have terrible taste in music).

:lol:

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:27 pm

StillHerexxx wrote:In all honesty, I don't hangout with anyone that is straight edge anymore because a lot of them are douches. I do it for myself. I go to bars, party, and even, at times, have fun. I mostly listen to Bowie and Neil Young, best music there is.

Note to self

Wrong about the insufferable douche

Right about the terrible taste in music.

Damn, all this straight edge talk takes me back to high school...

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:28 pm

TommyK wrote:
Veyron wrote:

:lol:

Yah, totally not the first time I've fucked up the use of this word. I completely avoid it in legal writing. Maybe if I get enough shit for it on teh interwebs I'll learn.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”