How to list pornography as work experience?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
paratactical
Posts: 5961
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:06 pm

Re: How to list pornography as work experience?

Postby paratactical » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:34 pm

99.9luft wrote:
paratactical wrote:
99.9luft wrote:how would you list it? 'softcore pornography'? if so, do all adcoms know the diff btw softcore and regular? or will one of them have to explain the difference to the other?

Wait, there are people who don't know the difference between softcore and porn?


think educated, older people, i.e. adcom officers.

Yeah, cause older, educated people don't jack off. Srsly, my grandma knows the difference between softcore and porn.

User avatar
magicman554
Posts: 201
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:02 am

Re: How to list pornography as work experience?

Postby magicman554 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:36 pm

Ok, just to add even more depth, softcore is only softcore from the viewer's perspective. It's explicit on set. Most of it is a little more glitzy, and there's a lot more dialogue, but I can see forty-something soccer moms on the committee shaking their heads either way.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18422
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: How to list pornography as work experience?

Postby bk1 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:37 pm

f7 wrote:Yes, I am aware of that distinction. However, his "I don't want them to think I said around and did nothing for four years" rationale applies even more so to employers than it does to adcoms.


Just because employers care more about a gap than adcomms doesn't mean that a company would rather see 4 years of porn than a 4 year gap. Both seem to be pretty good ways to tank your resume. Honestly I would put it for employers too and hope that some jobs won't really care. I mean if you have just finished 4 years of porn and are interviewing for a job in another field, it isn't like you are trying to get a job in a field that would definitely hold it against your, Starbucks and McDonald's probably don't care as much as other places.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18422
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: How to list pornography as work experience?

Postby bk1 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:37 pm

magicman554 wrote:Ok, just to add even more depth, softcore is only softcore from the viewer's perspective. It's explicit on set. Most of it is a little more glitzy, and there's a lot more dialogue


I thought this was obvious?

User avatar
magicman554
Posts: 201
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:02 am

Re: How to list pornography as work experience?

Postby magicman554 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:38 pm

By the way, his numbers are not stellar.



So, consensus favors....Cooley?

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18422
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: How to list pornography as work experience?

Postby bk1 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:39 pm

99.9luft wrote:think educated, older people, i.e. adcom officers.


A lot of admissions deans are around 30-40. I wouldn't consider them old enough to automatically have a grudge against porn.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18422
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: How to list pornography as work experience?

Postby bk1 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:39 pm

magicman554 wrote:By the way, his numbers are not stellar.



So, consensus favors....Cooley?


Consensus favors retake the LSAT.

amorfati
Posts: 191
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:14 pm

Re: How to list pornography as work experience?

Postby amorfati » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:40 pm

I second the acting/producing independent film vote. If he insists on being more specific, then I would at least try to sugar coat it - maybe refer to "adult" something or other, but I wouldn't flat out say "pornography."

User avatar
99.9luft
Posts: 1244
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:32 pm

Re: How to list pornography as work experience?

Postby 99.9luft » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:41 pm

i think your friend should avoid listing it as 'softcore.' Keep it vague, go for the shock value, but better have a kick-ass PS clarifying the job while stating why law school.

User avatar
dresden doll
Posts: 6802
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:11 am

Re: How to list pornography as work experience?

Postby dresden doll » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:43 pm

bk1 wrote:
magicman554 wrote:Ok, just to add even more depth, softcore is only softcore from the viewer's perspective. It's explicit on set. Most of it is a little more glitzy, and there's a lot more dialogue


I thought this was obvious?


I was actually wondering about the distinction. The majority of mainstream media is practically softcore pornography nowadays.

Anyway, I'd list the experience as 'producing independent film' and hope employers down the road ask as few questions as possible. I don't think it's feasible to leave a four year gap on the resume - anyone would wonder what the applicant was doing for such a notable period of time.

User avatar
johnnyutah
Posts: 1709
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:00 pm

Re: How to list pornography as work experience?

Postby johnnyutah » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:49 pm

paratactical wrote:Srsly, my grandma knows the difference between softcore and porn.

My mom don't

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18422
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: How to list pornography as work experience?

Postby bk1 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:53 pm

dresden doll wrote:I was actually wondering about the distinction. The majority of mainstream media is practically softcore pornography nowadays.


Fair enough. Actual softcore porn is real sex where you don't see any genitalia. Movie sex scenes have tiny pillows between naked actors who are faking it. At least that is as far as I know.

dresden doll wrote:Anyway, I'd list the experience as 'producing independent film' and hope employers down the road ask as few questions as possible. I don't think it's feasible to leave a four year gap on the resume - anyone would wonder what the applicant was doing for such a notable period of time.


I completely agree. I think that something like "2002-2006 college; 2010-2013 law school" would still cause a question of what happened in those 4 years. I guess if you get asked in an interview you could be even more vague and say "oh I did some independent movie work, both acting and directing, that you probably haven't seen. it was full time for a few years but I didn't think it was relevant to a job at this firm" or something like that.

User avatar
dresden doll
Posts: 6802
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:11 am

Re: How to list pornography as work experience?

Postby dresden doll » Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:04 pm

bk1 wrote:
dresden doll wrote:I was actually wondering about the distinction. The majority of mainstream media is practically softcore pornography nowadays.


Fair enough. Actual softcore porn is real sex where you don't see any genitalia. Movie sex scenes have tiny pillows between naked actors who are faking it. At least that is as far as I know.

My exposure to porn is limited to 10 minutes I spent watching a hardcore porn with my friend after we randomly found it in her stepdad's VCR. I'm sure the distinction is probably widely understood; I'm just not exactly an expert. :oops:

Anyway, when I was applying to LSs, I had a one year employment gap to contend with. (I'd been waiting on some immigration issues to get resolved so I wasn't legally authorized to work for close to a year.) I was really conscious about that gap and I wrote an addendum to address it. I tend to think that anything exceeding 4-6 months would raise questions and is best explained as diplomatically as possible.

User avatar
johnnyutah
Posts: 1709
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:00 pm

Re: How to list pornography as work experience?

Postby johnnyutah » Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:06 pm

dresden doll wrote:Anyway, when I was applying to LSs, I had a one year employment gap to contend with. (I'd been waiting on some immigration issues to get resolved so I wasn't legally authorized to work for close to a year.)

Whoa, how'd you survive?

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18422
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: How to list pornography as work experience?

Postby bk1 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:09 pm

dresden doll wrote:My exposure to porn is limited to 10 minutes I spent watching a hardcore porn with my friend after we randomly found it in her stepdad's VCR. I'm sure the distinction is probably widely understood; I'm just not exactly an expert. :oops:


Having a penis helps with the expertise. Also, if you had one you probably would have spent 10 hours watching that VCR rather than 10 minutes. :P

User avatar
dresden doll
Posts: 6802
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:11 am

Re: How to list pornography as work experience?

Postby dresden doll » Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:13 pm

johnnyutah wrote:
dresden doll wrote:Anyway, when I was applying to LSs, I had a one year employment gap to contend with. (I'd been waiting on some immigration issues to get resolved so I wasn't legally authorized to work for close to a year.)

Whoa, how'd you survive?


My ex and my parents basically maintained me. Leaving the country in the interim period would have been unwise since USCIS can deem the application abandoned once you've been gone past a requisite period of time.

But, yeah, that's generally a good question. I was in a privileged position. I'm not sure how I'd have made it otherwise.

User avatar
paratactical
Posts: 5961
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:06 pm

Re: How to list pornography as work experience?

Postby paratactical » Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:16 pm

dresden doll wrote:
johnnyutah wrote:
dresden doll wrote:Anyway, when I was applying to LSs, I had a one year employment gap to contend with. (I'd been waiting on some immigration issues to get resolved so I wasn't legally authorized to work for close to a year.)

Whoa, how'd you survive?


Softcore porn.


Hot. Can I get a copy?

User avatar
johnnyutah
Posts: 1709
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:00 pm

Re: How to list pornography as work experience?

Postby johnnyutah » Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:19 pm

dresden doll wrote:
johnnyutah wrote:
dresden doll wrote:Anyway, when I was applying to LSs, I had a one year employment gap to contend with. (I'd been waiting on some immigration issues to get resolved so I wasn't legally authorized to work for close to a year.)

Whoa, how'd you survive?


My ex and my parents basically maintained me. Leaving the country in the interim period would have been unwise since USCIS can deem the application abandoned once you've been gone past a requisite period of time.

But, yeah, that's generally a good question. I was in a privileged position. I'm not sure how I'd have made it otherwise.

That's awesome. It still musta been rough to be spinning your wheels for that long, though, even if you had a way to pay the bills.

User avatar
DamnLSAT
Posts: 164
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:14 pm

Re: How to list pornography as work experience?

Postby DamnLSAT » Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:21 pm

I completely agree. I think that something like "2002-2006 college; 2010-2013 law school" would still cause a question of what happened in those 4 years. I guess if you get asked in an interview you could be even more vague and say "oh I did some independent movie work, both acting and directing, that you probably haven't seen. it was full time for a few years but I didn't think it was relevant to a job at this firm" or something like that.


What if they have seen you and your movie before? Talk about being a memorable applicant.

Put down you were acting and directing - make it easy on yourself. They are likely not going to ask what movie or films you were in, because if you are in a hit movie actor you probably aren't going to law school.

User avatar
magicman554
Posts: 201
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:02 am

Re: How to list pornography as work experience?

Postby magicman554 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:26 pm

Again, I'm not the porn star.

He wanted to work into his PS something about dealing with VD, low pay, sometimes demeaning work and/or expectations, high pressure, condescension/hatred, etc. His stats are 3.1-3.4, 162-167. Also a URM.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18422
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: How to list pornography as work experience?

Postby bk1 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:29 pm

magicman554 wrote:Again, I'm not the porn star.

He wanted to work into his PS something about dealing with VD, low pay, sometimes demeaning work and/or expectations, high pressure, condescension/hatred, etc. His stats are 3.1-3.4, 162-167. Also a URM.


Doing a PS about it is a bad idea, end of story. The point is to try and downplay it as much as possible and highlighting it in the PS is doing the exact opposite.

162-167 is a broad range, I would recommend retake for any of those scores, even if maybe a 166/167ish URM doesn't necessarily need it.

User avatar
magicman554
Posts: 201
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:02 am

Re: How to list pornography as work experience?

Postby magicman554 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:32 pm

bk1 wrote:Doing a PS about it is a bad idea, end of story. The point is to try and downplay it as much as possible and highlighting it in the PS is doing the exact opposite.

162-167 is a broad range, I would recommend retake for any of those scores, even if maybe a 166/167ish URM doesn't necessarily need it.


The problem is that he graduated a while ago, and besides this past 4-5 years, he doesn't have much to brag about. We're not best friends or anything, but I've known of him since grade school, and sorry to say, the rest of his life is pretty bland.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18422
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: How to list pornography as work experience?

Postby bk1 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:34 pm

magicman554 wrote:The problem is that he graduated a while ago, and besides this past 4-5 years, he doesn't have much to brag about. We're not best friends or anything, but I've known of him since grade school, and sorry to say, the rest of his life is pretty bland.


I'm 100% positive he can find something else to write about in a PS.

User avatar
magicman554
Posts: 201
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:02 am

Re: How to list pornography as work experience?

Postby magicman554 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:36 pm

bk1 wrote:
magicman554 wrote:The problem is that he graduated a while ago, and besides this past 4-5 years, he doesn't have much to brag about. We're not best friends or anything, but I've known of him since grade school, and sorry to say, the rest of his life is pretty bland.


I'm 100% positive he can find something else to write about in a PS.



Probably. But it probably won't be that good.


But seriously, folks: Is there no way he can use this experience to his advantage, openly and honestly?

User avatar
paratactical
Posts: 5961
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:06 pm

Re: How to list pornography as work experience?

Postby paratactical » Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:40 pm

magicman554 wrote:But seriously, folks: Is there no way he can use this experience to his advantage, openly and honestly?

Yes, if he continues on with pornography.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: JD_Kingfish, mukol, patrickkpaul, qiranger and 6 guests