Same law school as undergrad, in particular NU

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
greenchair

Same law school as undergrad, in particular NU

Postby greenchair » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:04 am

I know this has been asked before. I just have a few questions that haven't been answered.

First of all, does anyone know how NU considers people who went to its undergrad? Reason I ask is NU is pretty weird with everything to begin with, and I'm wondering how much boost they give their own ugrad. (I have 2 yrs WE.)

The other question I have is -- to a potential employer, would going to the same undergrad and law school seem narrow-minded? I personally (and this is just personal) look at people who go to the same undergrad and grad school and think to myself... "This person must really hate change" or something negative to that effect.

I'm also not the biggest fan of Chicago, and I am trying to convince myself not to ED at NU. But I'm conflicted because I probably have the best chance of T14 admission there (I'm a splitter w/ WE). But if going to undergrad there will give me a noticeable boost, I will reconsider ED-ing there...

dextermorgan

Re: Same law school as undergrad, in particular NU

Postby dextermorgan » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:19 am

greenchair wrote:I know this has been asked before. I just have a few questions that haven't been answered.

First of all, does anyone know how NU considers people who went to its undergrad? Reason I ask is NU is pretty weird with everything to begin with, and I'm wondering how much boost they give their own ugrad. (I have 2 yrs WE.)

The other question I have is -- to a potential employer, would going to the same undergrad and law school seem narrow-minded? I personally (and this is just personal) look at people who go to the same undergrad and grad school and think to myself... "This person must really hate change" or something negative to that effect.

I'm also not the biggest fan of Chicago, and I am trying to convince myself not to ED at NU. But I'm conflicted because I probably have the best chance of T14 admission there (I'm a splitter w/ WE). But if going to undergrad there will give me a noticeable boost, I will reconsider ED-ing there...

You must really hate change.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:23 am

greenchair wrote:I know this has been asked before. I just have a few questions that haven't been answered.

My NU interviewer went to NU for undergrad and then went back to NU for a JD/MBA. She still seemed to love the school and didn't mention any negatives to doing three degrees there. Given NU law school's reputation, I would doubt you would be seen as narrow minded for going there.

If you don't want to go I would suggest not doing ED, unless your chances RD are really poor.

greenchair

Postby greenchair » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:28 am

dextermorgan wrote:You must really hate change.

No... I really *like* change...

greenchair

Postby greenchair » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:29 am

bdubs wrote:If you don't want to go I would suggest not doing ED, unless your chances RD are really poor.

It's frankly pretty poor. I will definitely consider what you said though, thanks

theantiscalia

Postby theantiscalia » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:42 am

I almost double-dipped myself (at WUSTL), but ultimately I chose not to.

Here's why:
1. It is nice to have two alumni networks to play with, especially in this economy. I spoke to an attorney from WUSTL at an event a couple of weeks ago, and he was as friendly as if I had gone there for law school.
2. As a 1L, I can attest that it is nice to know two different campus cultures. (I actually sometimes think I like my law school's culture more.) Plus, I feel if I had gone back to my undergrad, I would have fallen into the same "routine" I had when I was there.
3. I do think a diversity of experiences makes you a more interesting person, especially to employers on a resume.
4. If you want to live in a different city than Chicago, I'd look for a top school closer to where you want to practice.

Thas has to be countered, of course, with the fact that NU is a great law school, and if you get in there, you should still strongly consider it, especially if it is your best option. Also, NU is unique, and I wish I had more strongly considered it: it is nice to go to law school with people that have work experience, and I expect that NU would be the ultimate "professional" law school.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”