All, most, some, none?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
delusional

All, most, some, none?

Postby delusional » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:28 am

After being involved with TLS and its intensity for a few months, I wonder - are there any applicants in really good schools who just, you know, apply to and attend law school? Like they have a good GPA, speak to their scholastic advisers, sign up for a little LSAT course, take it once, and apply to a couple appropriate schools? Or do the overwhelmingly vast majority suffer from the same angst, phobias, love-hate for the process, and so on, before applying to 42 schools and pitting their acceptances against each other in a desperate battle for scholarship money (like I do/plan)?

I'm wondering this because, among other things, I wonder if when I finally, knock on wood, get to law school, there will be anyone there who will relate to this hell on earth. Or is it just a few TLS-ers, scattered across the t-25 in numbers too small to be noticeable?

TheTallOne0602

Re: All, most, some, none?

Postby TheTallOne0602 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:22 pm

Well, obviously TLS is a self-selecting community. I came on here for some advice on things but I wasn't really stressed out by the process. Mostly I have really been looking forward to all of this, so it was not particularly stressful.

But I imagine I am in the minority on TLS. As far as the wider world... I'll just guess most people get at least slightly neurotic.

SMA22

Postby SMA22 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:28 pm

I think it's a learned process. This time last year, I was just going to take the LSAT, do halfway decent, and go to T2. The more I read, the more I realized I had no idea what I was doing. I applied to a zillion schools, spent over nine months off and on on the LSAT, and while the process has been fun, it definitely gets under your skin.

iphone7

Postby iphone7 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:32 pm

I am into my long process of studying for the June LSAT and am actually very excited about the application process. It all seems like a game to me. It may be a very high stakes game, but the element of competition is there. I must keep both numbers high so that requires me to focus on different aspects of how my brain works, and then I also have to keep my softs at an acceptable level which requiers a whole other method of functioning. I also must maintain some social life in order to got go insane. I am somewhat nervous about the process, but I am more excited because of the challenges and rewards that it presents.

Postby 09042014 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:38 pm

I'd imagine most people at my T14 landed on TLS at one point or another. Googling law school stuff lands you on TLS pretty fast.

Some people post on TLS. Even fewer make more than 5 posts.

But there are also some people who just showed up for the LSAT and rocked a 168 and got in without knowing anything about it.

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:43 pm

iphone7 wrote:I am into my long process of studying for the June LSAT and am actually very excited about the application process. It all seems like a game to me. It may be a very high stakes game, but the element of competition is there. I must keep both numbers high so that requires me to focus on different aspects of how my brain works, and then I also have to keep my softs at an acceptable level which requiers a whole other method of functioning. I also must maintain some social life in order to got go insane. I am somewhat nervous about the process, but I am more excited because of the challenges and rewards that it presents.

QFyou have some serious gunning tendencies. (but don't we all)

And OP, taking the lsat, writing the pers statement, waiting for schools, etc. is an annoying process for everyone; although, TLS is def a little more crazed about it. That being said, I recommend TLS to all the pre-law kids at my school (although I do tell them it can get weird, especially if you wander into the lounge).

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:51 pm

I dunno, I find it kinda fun to obsess a little bit about the whole thing. I've definitely underperformed in college, and now I've been given this (second-chance) opportunity to really achieve something great. I want to see how high I can go, and I like having this community pushing me forward. It seems to me, though, that you'd be doing yourself a big disservice by not at least browsing through the articles.

T6Hopeful

Postby T6Hopeful » Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:22 pm

SMA22 wrote:I think it's a learned process. This time last year, I was just going to take the LSAT, do halfway decent, and go to T2. The more I read, the more I realized I had no idea what I was doing. I applied to a zillion schools, spent over nine months off and on on the LSAT, and while the process has been fun, it definitely gets under your skin.

I was also just intent on taking the LSAT and aiming for a Tier 2, now I'm very nearly T6 or bust (I'll gladly take the T14 acceptances I have, but would like at least one T6).
Honestly though, and I am very obviously biased as I'm already on this site, I think it's incredibly stupid to go through the application process WITHOUT going on a site like this, or at least somehow researching the process and informing yourself. I know of at least one person from my school who has a killer GPA and a great LSAT who didn't go anywhere near sites like this, and that person is probably going to get into NYU on down, rankings wise, but I do not think they know anything about the schools except where they are location-wise. Am I saying this person is stupid? Not at all. But, I just don't see how you could even consider a quarter million in debt (or conversely, be content will a full ride at a TTT with numbers like theirs) without knowing 90% of information relevant to your success.

Ship87

Postby Ship87 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:49 pm

I agree that you're limiting yourself by not visiting sites like this. I'm not sure that TLS gives you a real competetive advantage, its not by its self going to get you a higher LSAT/GPA, but TLS has a lot of information about law schools that you won't find at other places. I also think the T14 or bust mentality that prevades TLS is actually a good thing, once you realize that there is a big difference in the career prospects between different schools, then you might be less likely to take on 100k+ in debt to attend a TTT and face bleak job opportunities. My $0.02.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”