Attaching a picture to an application

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
amorfati
Posts: 191
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:14 pm

Re: Attaching a picture to an application

Postby amorfati » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:22 am

No offense to OP, and not to seem rude, but I can't believe that even a few people are actually entertaining this idea. IMO, attaching a pic is an AWFUL idea.

OP, I'm pretty sure you really are a lovely person, but drawing attention to the fact that you think you're attractive and should therefore get a hotness bump doesn't exactly scream good values. Yes, on some level I'm sure law schools could benefit from having an attractive student body (in terms of job placement, etc). But as a conscious decision-making group, I highly doubt adcomms will act on those impulses.

Of course, it would be a different thing in an interview, where perhaps they could subconsciously give that alternate/broader meaning to your hotness (finding you "lawyerly," "confident," "charming," etc). But attaching a picture adds little value to your application, and will probably make you seem vain.

krad
Posts: 1897
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:33 am

Re: Attaching a picture to an application

Postby krad » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:40 am

TT = lololol

tk4386
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:56 pm

Re: Attaching a picture to an application

Postby tk4386 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:55 am

I'm just waiting for her to post a picture, so someone can say, "retake."

ashleykj1121
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:46 am

Re: Attaching a picture to an application

Postby ashleykj1121 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:29 pm

ok this thread has gone in a really weird direction. i just thought that it would add a personal touch to my application. i'm not asking for a "hotness bump". i just thought about adding something to help my application stand out. thats all. thanks to everyone who sent me a legitimate reply. i really appreciate it. my hotness isn't the point. i'm just trying to make my application the best that it can be. thanks everyone

User avatar
Lokomani
Posts: 67
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:54 am

Re: Attaching a picture to an application

Postby Lokomani » Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:40 pm

retake.
also,









TITS or gtfo.

User avatar
URMdan
Posts: 402
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:03 pm

Re: Attaching a picture to an application

Postby URMdan » Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:41 pm

I may entertain the idea for a few reach schools.

User avatar
JordynAsh
Posts: 370
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:20 pm

Re: Attaching a picture to an application

Postby JordynAsh » Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:45 pm

Lokomani wrote:I would say forgo the picture. After working in admissions during undergrad, I can say with confidence that if a school didn't ask for a given thing, DO NOT SEND IT. The simplest way to ruin any application (for work or school) is to show you aren't good at following guidelines, and if the application doesn't specifically request a photo with the resume, just leave it out.

They don't care. No matter what you look like. They. Do. Not. Care.


+1. I also worked for admissions (graduate office) in college, and we were told to toss everything that wasn't a required part of the application. We also tacked all the pics onto a board in the break room, ranking the pics in attractiveness.
Last edited by JordynAsh on Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

justadude55
Posts: 963
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:23 am

Re: Attaching a picture to an application

Postby justadude55 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:46 pm

only if it's a picture of you kissing a girl.

justadude55
Posts: 963
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:23 am

Re: Attaching a picture to an application

Postby justadude55 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:47 pm

what would happen if you attached a picture of someone else? you're never saying it's a picture of you...it's just a picture. it would be funny if someone attached a picture of roseanne to their app with no apparent reason.

User avatar
JaLeCa
Posts: 301
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:42 pm

Re: Attaching a picture to an application

Postby JaLeCa » Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:52 pm

I think it's a great idea. What would be even better is if you could sleep with all your profs once you're in. Instant boost ;-)

justadude55
Posts: 963
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:23 am

Re: Attaching a picture to an application

Postby justadude55 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:02 pm

JaLeCa wrote:I think it's a great idea. What would be even better is if you could sleep with all your profs once you're in. Instant boost ;-)

great minds think alike

User avatar
swfangirl
Posts: 117
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:09 pm

Re: Attaching a picture to an application

Postby swfangirl » Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:27 pm

JordynAsh wrote:
Lokomani wrote:I would say forgo the picture. After working in admissions during undergrad, I can say with confidence that if a school didn't ask for a given thing, DO NOT SEND IT. The simplest way to ruin any application (for work or school) is to show you aren't good at following guidelines, and if the application doesn't specifically request a photo with the resume, just leave it out.

They don't care. No matter what you look like. They. Do. Not. Care.


+1. I also worked for admissions (graduate office) in college, and we were told to toss everything that wasn't a required part of the application. We also tacked all the pics onto a board in the break room, ranking the pics in attractiveness.

:lol:

justadude55
Posts: 963
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:23 am

Re: Attaching a picture to an application

Postby justadude55 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:15 pm

in all honesty, it seems like a waste of their time. they don't care if you're hot or not. they're not going to be dating you, and most adcoms are female which makes it even less likely they'll be dating you (although if this would your guys' preference, by all means indulge as this is america). i don't think being pretty vs. ugly would have a big influence on admitting or not admitting someone they're never going to meet (i wouldn't care, personally). i can see appearance helping if they feel they got to know you somehow, which would make saying no a bit harder. i don't know if a pic will do that.

User avatar
bringbackfirefly
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:14 am

Re: Attaching a picture to an application

Postby bringbackfirefly » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:18 pm

ashleykj1121 wrote:my hotness isn't the point.


sorry, OP, are you saying you are hot?

User avatar
JaLeCa
Posts: 301
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:42 pm

Re: Attaching a picture to an application

Postby JaLeCa » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:18 pm

bringbackfirefly wrote:
ashleykj1121 wrote:my hotness isn't the point.


sorry, OP, are you saying you are hot?



BWAHAHAHAHAAHAHA

SupraVln180
Posts: 883
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:50 pm

Re: Attaching a picture to an application

Postby SupraVln180 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:28 pm

OP posts pics, I highly doubt you're higher than a 6. Someone who is truly hot, would be confident enough to forgo the picture attachment.

User avatar
vissidarte27
Posts: 434
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:43 pm

Re: Attaching a picture to an application

Postby vissidarte27 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:33 pm

ashleykj1121 wrote:ok this thread has gone in a really weird direction. i just thought that it would add a personal touch to my application. i'm not asking for a "hotness bump". i just thought about adding something to help my application stand out. thats all. thanks to everyone who sent me a legitimate reply. i really appreciate it. my hotness isn't the point. i'm just trying to make my application the best that it can be. thanks everyone


While YOU may think that your hotness isn't the point and that you're not asking for a "hotness bump," the people reading your application may interpret a picture in that manner. If I was going through law school applications and I came across one with an unsolicited picture attachment, I would think that the applicant was trying to make up for some flaw in their numbers. I think it would come off as arrogant and probably vain. I know that's not what you mean, but reality is perception, not intent.

justadude55
Posts: 963
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:23 am

Re: Attaching a picture to an application

Postby justadude55 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:52 pm

bringbackfirefly wrote:
ashleykj1121 wrote:my hotness isn't the point.


sorry, OP, are you saying you are hot?

hotness would not necessarily mean she is hot.

does a homeless guy talking about their finances mean they have a lot of finances?

does a fat guy talking about his fitness mean he is fit?

does a woman talking about her attractiveness mean she thinks she's attractive? it's just as likely she is talking about her hotness to mean that she is lacking attractiveness.

the worst thing ever are woman who think they're really hot, but are just kind of cute or not hot at all. soooo annoying. there's a behavior they do, like they giggle a lot and think everyone is always looking at them. soooo annoying.

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: Attaching a picture to an application

Postby Bildungsroman » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:53 pm

Heard this thread was ripe for a white knight, ran here.

justadude55
Posts: 963
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:23 am

Re: Attaching a picture to an application

Postby justadude55 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:54 pm

vissidarte27 wrote:
ashleykj1121 wrote:ok this thread has gone in a really weird direction. i just thought that it would add a personal touch to my application. i'm not asking for a "hotness bump". i just thought about adding something to help my application stand out. thats all. thanks to everyone who sent me a legitimate reply. i really appreciate it. my hotness isn't the point. i'm just trying to make my application the best that it can be. thanks everyone


While YOU may think that your hotness isn't the point and that you're not asking for a "hotness bump," the people reading your application may interpret a picture in that manner. If I was going through law school applications and I came across one with an unsolicited picture attachment, I would think that the applicant was trying to make up for some flaw in their numbers. I think it would come off as arrogant and probably vain. I know that's not what you mean, but reality is perception, not intent.

are those 2 girls on your tar in love? the brunette looks like she wants to kiss the other.

User avatar
bringbackfirefly
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:14 am

Re: Attaching a picture to an application

Postby bringbackfirefly » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:01 am

justadude55 wrote:
bringbackfirefly wrote:
ashleykj1121 wrote:my hotness isn't the point.


sorry, OP, are you saying you are hot?

hotness would not necessarily mean she is hot.

does a homeless guy talking about their finances mean they have a lot of finances?

does a fat guy talking about his fitness mean he is fit?

does a woman talking about her attractiveness mean she thinks she's attractive? it's just as likely she is talking about her hotness to mean that she is lacking attractiveness.

the worst thing ever are woman who think they're really hot, but are just kind of cute or not hot at all. soooo annoying. there's a behavior they do, like they giggle a lot and think everyone is always looking at them. soooo annoying.


thank you for taking time out of your day to parse a joke.

justadude55
Posts: 963
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:23 am

Re: Attaching a picture to an application

Postby justadude55 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:02 am

bringbackfirefly wrote:
justadude55 wrote:
bringbackfirefly wrote:
ashleykj1121 wrote:my hotness isn't the point.


sorry, OP, are you saying you are hot?

hotness would not necessarily mean she is hot.

does a homeless guy talking about their finances mean they have a lot of finances?

does a fat guy talking about his fitness mean he is fit?

does a woman talking about her attractiveness mean she thinks she's attractive? it's just as likely she is talking about her hotness to mean that she is lacking attractiveness.

the worst thing ever are woman who think they're really hot, but are just kind of cute or not hot at all. soooo annoying. there's a behavior they do, like they giggle a lot and think everyone is always looking at them. soooo annoying.


thank you for taking time out of your day to parse a joke.

hatas be hatin

User avatar
bringbackfirefly
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:14 am

Re: Attaching a picture to an application

Postby bringbackfirefly » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:04 am

justadude55 wrote:hatas be hatin


haha, at least put up the pic :D
--ImageRemoved--

User avatar
DoubleChecks
Posts: 2333
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:35 pm

Re: Attaching a picture to an application

Postby DoubleChecks » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:05 am

justadude55 wrote:
bringbackfirefly wrote:
justadude55 wrote:
bringbackfirefly wrote:
sorry, OP, are you saying you are hot?

hotness would not necessarily mean she is hot.

does a homeless guy talking about their finances mean they have a lot of finances?

does a fat guy talking about his fitness mean he is fit?

does a woman talking about her attractiveness mean she thinks she's attractive? it's just as likely she is talking about her hotness to mean that she is lacking attractiveness.

the worst thing ever are woman who think they're really hot, but are just kind of cute or not hot at all. soooo annoying. there's a behavior they do, like they giggle a lot and think everyone is always looking at them. soooo annoying.


thank you for taking time out of your day to parse a joke.

hatas be hatin


to be fair, homeless ppl generally dont talk about their finances

fat guys generally dont talk about fitness

so, generally, a woman talking about hotness may imply that she at least believes she's attractive, esp. when using the word hotness

i welcome more analysis of this joke, however, because i believe it deserves more attention

User avatar
DoubleChecks
Posts: 2333
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:35 pm

Re: Attaching a picture to an application

Postby DoubleChecks » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:06 am

bringbackfirefly wrote:
justadude55 wrote:hatas be hatin


haha, at least put up the pic :D
--ImageRemoved--

--ImageRemoved--




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Exabot [Bot] and 2 guests