Do law school adcoms discriminate against fast-trackers?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Re: Do law school adcoms discriminate against fast-trackers?

Postby 09042014 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:18 am

You can also take CLEP tests and knock out a shit load of gen eds.

robotclubmember

Postby robotclubmember » Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:38 pm

Would fast-tracking strengthen your application if you had meaningful experience after graduating?

And by strengthen, I don't mean adcomms drooling over it. I mean a marginal boost. If the answer to that question is no, then I would say the OP should just enjoy his time in college, party, smoke a lot of pot and chase skirts, unless he really needs to save money that bad. I don't know the answer to that though.

DreamShake

Postby DreamShake » Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:35 pm

Desert Fox wrote:You can also take CLEP tests and knock out a shit load of gen eds.

This, although some schools won't take CLEPs. I knocked out ~90 credit hours in 5 semesters. 120 is easily possible with CLEPs fulfilling core curriculum/gen ed reqs.

Fall 1-18 hrs
Spring 1-18 hrs
Summer 1-15 hrs
Fall 2-19 hrs + 6 clep hrs
Spring 2- 16 hrs
92 hrs...add in another 5 cleps and 12 summer school hours and you're at 119 hours in two years. Would never recommend this, though. I managed to have a social life, but I was completely burnt out during Fall 2 until I hit winter break of that year, simply from not having any kind of break for 12 months. I did pass up some opportunities I wish I could've pursued (didn't volunteer as much as I wished, didn't do an honors thesis in my 2nd major, played intramurals only 1 year, etc.).

In any case, GPA far exceeds time of completion in importance. If you do it in 2 years, do it with a 3.9+ or don't do it at all.

robotclubmember

Postby robotclubmember » Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:52 pm

DreamShake wrote:In any case, GPA far exceeds time of completion in importance. If you do it in 2 years, do it with a 3.9+ or don't do it at all.

Ding ding ding! This is the real answer.
Last edited by robotclubmember on Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

swfangirl

Postby swfangirl » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:20 pm

Lokomani wrote:Lol, good luck networking/getting a job at OCI when you remind everyone of their nephew.
Except you'll be the weird version of him for not enjoying your youth and instead jumping headlong into one of the most depressing and suicidal professions around.

Your age will be more than a slight negative at schools which prefer work-experience and still will raise questions at any school which isn't a money mill.

Not sure about OCI since I haven't done that yet, but I doubt that one or two years of being younger is going to stand out.

I didn't fast-track college, but I was a young applicant. No WE, straight out of undergrad, heading to one of YHS next year.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”