One bad grade in major - switch?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
mcs268

Re: One bad grade in major - switch?

Postby mcs268 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:48 pm

Thanks for all the input guys. I have until the end of next semester to declare, so I'll see what happens in my history class this semester. I've done well before this point so hopefully this semester was a fluke. I'm probably leaning towards anthro though, just because it interests me more. Plus, they do score high on the LSATs haha.

zephyr36

Postby zephyr36 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:29 pm

mcs268 wrote:Thanks for all the input guys. I have until the end of next semester to declare, so I'll see what happens in my history class this semester. I've done well before this point so hopefully this semester was a fluke. I'm probably leaning towards anthro though, just because it interests me more. Plus, they do score high on the LSATs haha.

You will get the highest GPA in the major that you enjoy the most. You are at Cornell, so you can't guarantee you'll end up with a 4.0 anymore than you can guarantee that you'll get a 180. My advice to you: chill out. You're a sophomore, and one B- is not going to kill you. It's college, so you should also be having fun.

Postby 09042014 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:30 pm

mcs268 wrote:Thanks for all the input guys. I have until the end of next semester to declare, so I'll see what happens in my history class this semester. I've done well before this point so hopefully this semester was a fluke. I'm probably leaning towards anthro though, just because it interests me more. Plus, they do score high on the LSATs haha.

Your major isn't going to change your LSAT.

But do what you want to do. You've got a couple years to study whatever the fuck you want and it won't matter. So study what you want.

northwood

Postby northwood » Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:43 pm

Cornell UG has told their professors to give as many grades of B or higher as possible. They have been sued in the past for giving a student a grade lower than a B. I have a close friend of mine who works as an adjunct professor, and has shown me the letter instructing him and his TA's to curve the grades to a B or better. If you do better than B work, your grade will be adjusted higher.

One B- isnt going to kill your chances. Retake the class if you want, and enhjoy college.

hjag

Postby hjag » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:59 am

I have known someone who got into Harvard Law with a C. She wasn't a URM, either, but a science major.

BTW, her overall GPA was also substantially below the median (but not ridiculously so).

Her softs were good, but not amazingly good.

Which is why I never understood the "your major doesn't mean anything" argument that TLSers keep repeating.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:17 pm

hjag wrote:I have known someone who got into Harvard Law with a C. She wasn't a URM, either, but a science major.

BTW, her overall GPA was also substantially below the median (but not ridiculously so).

Her softs were good, but not amazingly good.

Which is why I never understood the "your major doesn't mean anything" argument that TLSers keep repeating.

Schools don't really care about a single grad they care about overall GPA. Depending what you mean about substantially below median this isn't strange.

However some schools do really care about majors. But it appears most do not. While Harvard might, that doesn't mean Duke will.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”