One bad grade in major - switch?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
mcs268

One bad grade in major - switch?

Postby mcs268 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:40 pm

Hello, I'm a sophomore at Cornell. This past semester I received a bad grade in my intended major (although I'm trying to dispute it right now due to some discrepancies- doubt it will change). In what should've been an easy class got complicated due to personal issues and I walked away with a B- in what I believe to be an A- class in concordance with previous grade reports. Also, I'm a History major, which is why I consider this a bad grade since it's much less difficult than a B- in lets say Chemistry. I'm intent on law school, and I'm afraid with keeping my major, this B- will kill my chances.

Luckily, for my electives I found an interest in anthropology, and I'm thinking of switching but I'm not sure. I will have amassed 2 classes by the end of next semester currently (this schedule assumes i'm still history though, so I'd add another anthro class to catch up). I only need 8 classes for the major so if I take 2 anthro courses one semester and 1 for the rest in my junior and senior years I should be okay.

I understand this may sound ridiculous because its one grade, but T14 law is extremely competitive as you all know, and although I will probably raise my whole GPA since personal issues have been worked out, I'm afraid it will kill my chances especially next to an A- median grade on the transcript. My major GPA will, however, likely be low still due to that grade. If I switch, I believe my major GPA will end up higher (I find anthropology more interesting/easier than history anyway). So, do you think I should switch or not? Ideally I was planning on double majoring but definitely not with that grade, I would just stick to anthropology. Thank you!

4for44

Re: One bad grade in major - switch?

Postby 4for44 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:46 pm

mcs268 wrote:Hello, I'm a sophomore at Cornell. This past semester I received a bad grade in my intended major (although I'm trying to dispute it right now due to some discrepancies- doubt it will change). In what should've been an easy class got complicated due to personal issues and I walked away with a B- in what I believe to be an A- class in concordance with previous grade reports. Also, I'm a History major, which is why I consider this a bad grade since it's much less difficult than a B- in lets say Chemistry. I'm intent on law school, and I'm afraid with keeping my major, this B- will kill my chances.

Luckily, for my electives I found an interest in anthropology, and I'm thinking of switching but I'm not sure. I will have amassed 2 classes by the end of next semester currently (this schedule assumes i'm still history though, so I'd add another anthro class to catch up). I only need 8 classes for the major so if I take 2 anthro courses one semester and 1 for the rest in my junior and senior years I should be okay.

I understand this may sound ridiculous because its one grade, but T14 law is extremely competitive as you all know, and although I will probably raise my whole GPA since personal issues have been worked out, I'm afraid it will kill my chances especially next to an A- median grade on the transcript. My major GPA will, however, likely be low still due to that grade. If I switch, I believe my major GPA will end up higher (I find anthropology more interesting/easier than history anyway). So, do you think I should switch or not? Ideally I was planning on double majoring but definitely not with that grade, I would just stick to anthropology. Thank you!

Major GPA= Irrelevant... Do whichever one you enjoy more and are therefore more likely to get best OVERALL GPA.

Oh and you must be freezing in Ithaca right now...

dddhhh

Postby dddhhh » Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:54 pm

Agreed, overall gpa matters most. Pick a major that you enjoy.

JaLeCa

Postby JaLeCa » Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:58 pm

One class isn't going to kill you. Stick with the major you enjoy.

Postby 09042014 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:03 pm

Law schools don't care about individual grades and they don't even look at major GPA.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:08 pm

Do whatever it takes to get a high overall GPA.

T6Hopeful

Postby T6Hopeful » Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:55 pm

Veyron wrote:Do whatever it takes to get a high overall GPA.

This within reason, but MORE importantly:
JaLeCa wrote:One class isn't going to kill you. Stick with the major you enjoy.

Sure, if you're dead set on going to law school after undergrad, it's definitely important to game your overall GPA. But for all you know, you could decide in a couple years that law really isn't right for you, and you'll wish you majored in something you like. If this coincidentally brings you a high GPA, so be it, but if you're honestly interested in history, don't drop it just because this one B- could be indicative of your other grades.

northwood

Postby northwood » Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:59 pm

re take the class

stick with the major you like. and keep your grades up. Enjoy Cornell!

Postby 062914123 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:35 pm

Last edited by 062914123 on Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dextermorgan

Postby dextermorgan » Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:41 am

No one cares about your major GPA. Just don't get anymore "bad" grades and you will be fine.

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:45 am

What happens if personal issues arise again? Personal issues tend to strike everyone, throughout life. I'd try to deal with it or just adjust expectations.

Lokomani

Postby Lokomani » Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:04 am

Dear God, don't base your entire 4 year college degree on what is best for law school. If you really are concerned about law, get a major in Philosophy and learn some relevant concepts. Your GPA quandary is cute, but the truth is they (adcomms) want interesting people as much, if not moreso, than GPA padding for rankings. Thus, getting heavily involved in something outstanding would behoove you more than changing majors based on one grade.

nStiver

Postby nStiver » Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:25 am

mcs268 wrote:Hello, I'm a sophomore at Cornell. This past semester I received a bad grade in my intended major (although I'm trying to dispute it right now due to some discrepancies- doubt it will change). In what should've been an easy class got complicated due to personal issues and I walked away with a B- in what I believe to be an A- class in concordance with previous grade reports. Also, I'm a History major, which is why I consider this a bad grade since it's much less difficult than a B- in lets say Chemistry. I'm intent on law school, and I'm afraid with keeping my major, this B- will kill my chances.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH, you, sir, are ok. Man, to be young and idealistic again.

Trust me dude, one b- will not hurt you. My wife has a 4.0 cum and she got a few c- and d's way back when. I would focus on studying for the LSAT now, while you still have a year or more to go. That would be time far better spent than would be by going through all the trouble of changing majors. If one B- is the worst of your worries, you will be fine.

You should learn to relax, there will be bigger setbacks in your quest for the T14 than one B-, and you should not react to one minor setback by making a sweeping change. That would be overkill.

thegor1987

Postby thegor1987 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:39 am

Switch to Chemistry and get all B minuses

nStiver

Postby nStiver » Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:11 am

thegor1987 wrote:Switch to Chemistry and get all B minuses

A B- in chemistry is a solid grade. Some of those classes have averages in the 40s or 50s.

thegor1987

Postby thegor1987 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:24 am

nStiver wrote:

A B- in chemistry is a solid grade. Some of those classes have averages in the 40s or 50s.

Hence the ungenuine sarcasm of my comment. Not too bad for chemistry but horrible for law school applications.

nStiver

Postby nStiver » Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:36 am

thegor1987 wrote:
nStiver wrote:

Hence the ungenuine sarcasm of my comment. Not too bad for chemistry but horrible for law school applications.

Yes, I see that now.

Postby 09042014 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:47 am

I bet that B- put him the bottom 1/4 of that class.

nStiver

Postby nStiver » Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:50 am

I just don't get it. I am a history major because I love the subject. I would not dream of switching just because of a B-.

seespotrun

Postby seespotrun » Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:02 am

Yea, I'd switch to orgo chem. Definitely switch.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:21 am

Incidentally, Cornell has got to be one of the worst places in the country to go for UG if you want to go to law school.

Postby 09042014 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:24 am

Veyron wrote:Incidentally, Cornell has got to be one of the worst places in the country to go for UG if you want to go to law school.

Suicide risk?

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:29 am

Desert Fox wrote:
Veyron wrote:Incidentally, Cornell has got to be one of the worst places in the country to go for UG if you want to go to law school.

Suicide risk?

Grade deflation without HYPSM level prestige to compensate.

Also suicide risk.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:07 pm

Points to remember about grading for purposes of admission to law school:

1) They do not look at major GPA, only cumulative GPA.
2) They do not look at your grades relative to the median.
3) They do not do anything special to factor out retaken classes, classes outside major, etc.
4) Every bad grade counts equally, forever.

So no point switching your major - that B- is on your record dragging down your overall LSAC GPA and nothing you do can change that.

Postby 09042014 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:08 pm

Veyron wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

Suicide risk?

Grade deflation without HYPSM level prestige to compensate.

Also suicide risk.

Grade deflation? This link says average GPA of 3.36. If you factor out their engineering school (which probably has a lot lower of a GPA median) it's probably higher.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”