List bad GPA on Resume

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
nStiver

List bad GPA on Resume

Postby nStiver » Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:40 pm

My GPA sucks, and my LSAC gpa is even worse. I really don't want to trumpet this fact on my resume, and the adcomms already have that information from my transcript. Is it necessary to include this info on your resume? Also, my work experience is just a bunch of rinki-dink jobs. Is it necessary to put down ALL work experience? The best part of my resume is my volunteer experience. My goal is to minimize the weak aspects of my res and to really focus on presentation, so that at least the resume will not hurt me. Any advice?

4for44

Re: List bad GPA on Resume

Postby 4for44 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:52 pm

nStiver wrote:My GPA sucks, and my LSAC gpa is even worse. I really don't want to trumpet this fact on my resume, and the adcomms already have that information from my transcript. Is it necessary to include this info on your resume? Also, my work experience is just a bunch of rinki-dink jobs. Is it necessary to put down ALL work experience? The best part of my resume is my volunteer experience. My goal is to minimize the weak aspects of my res and to really focus on presentation, so that at least the resume will not hurt me. Any advice?

Depends on what the App asks (i.e. "List your work experience up to this point" vs. "List those professional experiences most important to you"), but I have always shaped resumes to those places I am applying. There isn't enough room to include McDonalds, Lawn mowing, etc... Whatever you do, dont make it 2 pages so you can include your summer babysitting job.

dddhhh

Postby dddhhh » Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:58 pm

Generally gpa is included in a resume. Not including it may raise a red flag & irritate them if they have to search for it in your file. I would list it with your educational education & let the volunteer section follow and finally work experience to include most significant employment.

Postby 09042014 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:04 pm

dddhhh wrote:Generally gpa is included in a resume. Not including it may raise a red flag & irritate them if they have to search for it in your file. I would list it with your educational education & let the volunteer section follow and finally work experience to include most significant employment.

Bullshit.

If your GPA isn't over 3.5 don't put it on your resume.

nStiver

Postby nStiver » Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:04 pm

Is it considered standard to include your LSAT score? (pardon the silly questions, I have never written an academic resume for law school before)

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:05 pm

nStiver wrote:Is it considered standard to include your LSAT score? (pardon the silly questions, I have never written an academic resume for law school before)

No. Leave off your GPA and LSAT score. Focus on your most significant/best WE.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:06 pm

nStiver wrote:Is it considered standard to include your LSAT score? (pardon the silly questions, I have never written an academic resume for law school before)

I didn't include my LSAT score, but I don't think it matters either way.

T6Hopeful

Postby T6Hopeful » Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:07 pm

Desert Fox wrote:If your GPA isn't over 3.5 don't put it on your resume.

This. Your resume is supposed to be a showcase, as opposed to a tell-all. If you put your GPA on there if it's under that, you're calling attention to it.

Oban

Postby Oban » Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:08 pm

GPA and LSAT don't go on any resume, especially when applying to Lawl school, they get that info from the app and from LSAC. no need to be redundant.

As far as GPA by it self on resume, its only relevant for like your first jerb out of highschool, college, and you only list it if it's exceptional.

If you are 5+ years out of school listing GPA on your resume is pretty lame.

joebloe

Postby joebloe » Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:04 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
dddhhh wrote:Generally gpa is included in a resume. Not including it may raise a red flag & irritate them if they have to search for it in your file. I would list it with your educational education & let the volunteer section follow and finally work experience to include most significant employment.

Bullshit.

Yeah, I mean considering GPA and LSAT are all-important to adcomms, I wouldn't be surprised if admissions office staff automatically put in a cover sheet with exactly that information in huge letters with every file before passing it them on for review.

kitmitzi

Postby kitmitzi » Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:07 pm

Whatever you do, dont make it 2 pages so you can include your summer babysitting job.

I thought law school resumes were generally 2 pages? And 1 page is standard for other internships, employment, etc. Should we only have 1 page law school application resumes?

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:10 pm

kitmitzi wrote:
Whatever you do, dont make it 2 pages so you can include your summer babysitting job.

I thought law school resumes were generally 2 pages? And 1 page is standard for other internships, employment, etc. Should we only have 1 page law school application resumes?

My law school application resume is 2 pages long, and it seems like schools don't care either way as long as you give them all the info they want and an appropriate level of detail. People will say emphatically that your resume should only be one page, and while that may be a good rule when applying for jobs it's not really necessary when applying to law school unless a school specifies. Your mileage may vary, but nobody has ever shown me evidence that a one page resume is required or even preferable in law school admissions.

Capitol A

Postby Capitol A » Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:27 pm

Desert Fox wrote:

Bullshit.

My GPA for all college attended undergrad and post is 3.95. That is always on my professional resume. My UGPA according to LSAC is 3.62, and after learning how unimpressive that is to top schools I left it off my resumes for my applications.
They will have your transcripts. You don't need to highlight a less than stellar attribute.

northwood

Postby northwood » Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:39 pm

only put your gpa if its 3.5 or higher as desert fox said earlier. Dont put anything negative on your resume. Just put school, graduation date, degree type and major.

chopper

Postby chopper » Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:43 pm

Put your GPA if it is over 3.0. If it is under a 3.0 don't put it.

You can also consider putting your GPA broken down for your major, since that is usually higher than your overall GPA.

Stringer Bell

Postby Stringer Bell » Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:57 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Bullshit.

This probably depends on the school you are applying to, but would probably be a good guidline for the top schools.

Looking for a job after or during UG, the rule is generally to include it if it's a 3.0 or better and leave it off if it's not.

fundamentallybroken

Postby fundamentallybroken » Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:54 am

Bildungsroman wrote:
kitmitzi wrote:

My law school application resume is 2 pages long, and it seems like schools don't care either way as long as you give them all the info they want and an appropriate level of detail. People will say emphatically that your resume should only be one page, and while that may be a good rule when applying for jobs it's not really necessary when applying to law school unless a school specifies. Your mileage may vary, but nobody has ever shown me evidence that a one page resume is required or even preferable in law school admissions.

Even for jobs, the one page rule is bullshit. What matters is that the information you put on your resume is substantive (as someone else said, don't make it two pages just so you can list your summer babysitting jobs.) I've been out of school a long time, and have hired a lot of people for all different types of jobs - not once have I thrown out a resume simply because it was too long. However, I have thrown out resumes that were obviously embellished.

(Posting this even though obvious OP troll is an obvious OP troll. GPAs don't go on resumes, and LSAT scores of 121 don't apply to LS.)

nStiver

Postby nStiver » Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:41 am

fundamentallybroken wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:
kitmitzi wrote:

Even for jobs, the one page rule is bullshit. What matters is that the information you put on your resume is substantive (as someone else said, don't make it two pages just so you can list your summer babysitting jobs.) I've been out of school a long time, and have hired a lot of people for all different types of jobs - not once have I thrown out a resume simply because it was too long. However, I have thrown out resumes that were obviously embellished.

(Posting this even though obvious OP troll is an obvious OP troll. GPAs don't go on resumes, and LSAT scores of 121 don't apply to LS.)

Yes, I am a troll, out to troll the web just to get your panties all bunched up. Too funny. And my LSAT is a 120, btw, not a 121. I am too stupid to read, so I just bubbled in the answer sheet in smilie face and genitalia pictures, thats why I didn't crack 121.

fundamentallybroken

Postby fundamentallybroken » Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:20 am

nStiver wrote:Yes, I am a troll, out to troll the web just to get your panties all bunched up. Too funny. And my LSAT is a 120, btw, not a 121. I am too stupid to read, so I just bubbled in the answer sheet in smilie face and genitalia pictures, thats why I didn't crack 121.

See, that's how I knew - I totally just drew pictures of genitalia all over my score sheet, and scored higher than a 120!

nStiver

Postby nStiver » Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:30 am

I think that the reason you broke 121 was that the genitalia-bubble-method introduces a degree of randomness into the score. You could score well, or you could just completely bomb. But, the potential payoffs are big, thats why I use it.

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:35 am

I think TCR is def 'no' for school application unless the app specifically says you need to include this on your resume.

nStiver

Postby nStiver » Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:00 am

What does TCR stand for?

T6Hopeful

Postby T6Hopeful » Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:00 am

nStiver wrote:What does TCR stand for?

"The Credited Response." Regardless of whether one should put their GPA on their resume, I still think that if it's as subpar as you claim it is, you should keep it off either way. Just my $.02.

Thirteen

Postby Thirteen » Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:04 am

T6Hopeful wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:If your GPA isn't over 3.5 don't put it on your resume.

This. Your resume is supposed to be a showcase, as opposed to a tell-all. If you put your GPA on there if it's under that, you're calling attention to it.

Yep. Our career services office basically said the same thing. I've never put my GPA on a resume.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”