Addendum Swap / Advice

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Crazzzybudha

Addendum Swap / Advice

Postby Crazzzybudha » Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:59 pm

I have a lengthy criminal record. Now I have to write an addendum about it. So two questions, first of all any general advice? I have three charges one of which was sealed, one which seems to have disappeared for no apparent reason, and the last I found online. That means I have access to next to no information so I will be kind of making general statements about things relying on my memory. I cant even remember the month, let alone the date, of one of the charges. I would appreciate any advice in this area and any advice as far as general format. So far I have just been doing a paragraph or two for each charge, but with traffic tickets (one school requires every traffic ticket ever, again I am relying on my fuzzy memory) I'm looking at about 4 pages double spaced. Too long?

Also, if anyone wanted to do an addendum swap, specifically a criminal record swap, I'd be more than happy to. PM me and all that.

Thanks for any advice!

cinephile

Re: Addendum Swap / Advice

Postby cinephile » Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:22 am

I think providing as much information as you can recall would be appropriate. You can explain that this charge is sealed and this is why you're not able to provide more details -- because they are not available.

Crazzzybudha

Postby Crazzzybudha » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:27 am

Thanks, I just feel a little worried about turning in a two page personal statement and a four page criminal record addendum. Seems a little off balanced.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:58 pm

Why is the addendum 4 pages for 3 charges? Is there any way you can concisely list the charges together and then have one section wherein you explain how this was a different point in your life and how you've moved past that.

Crazzzybudha

Postby Crazzzybudha » Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:11 pm

Thanks again, since I don't have the actual charges for two of them I went a little heavy on narrative. I also thought it would be better that way; for example the one charge I have is theft. We were stupid kids and tried to steal a street sign. I thought having the context of it being a street sign would soften the "theft" charge, so that it doesnt sound like I was stealing from a cash register or something. Its 4 pages doubled spaced, should I go single? Also some schools ask for driving records, and well I wasnt the best driver early on, so that takes up a page by itself. Should I really go into "lessons learned" and "how I moved past it" in the addendum or just save that for my PS? I had a "life experience" after which I went from getting bad grades and getting into trouble to being a good student and all that good stuff. I talk about the "life experience" and how it has changed me in my PS, but I don't mention the charges directly and just state "got into some trouble". So, leave it like it is (mentioned in the PS, full list of charges and all that narrative in addendum)? Expand on the specifics in the PS? Or have a "lessons learned and moving past it" section in the addendum? Maybe I'll post the actual addendum and ask the fine TLS'ers take critique it. Thanks again!

joebloe

Postby joebloe » Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:24 pm

I'd recommend getting the real information somehow. My understanding is that your LS app becomes part of your bar app, and discrepancies between that and what a C&F investigation turns will land you in deep trouble, regardless of intent.

In fact, given a criminal record can cause trouble with C&F, have you considered consulting a lawyer at this point? I definitely would suggest it. He/she would probably be able to get the real info too, or at least give you better advice on how to proceed.

justadude55

Postby justadude55 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:44 pm

Crazzzybudha wrote:Thanks again, since I don't have the actual charges for two of them I went a little heavy on narrative. I also thought it would be better that way; for example the one charge I have is theft. We were stupid kids and tried to steal a street sign. I thought having the context of it being a street sign would soften the "theft" charge, so that it doesnt sound like I was stealing from a cash register or something. Its 4 pages doubled spaced, should I go single? Also some schools ask for driving records, and well I wasnt the best driver early on, so that takes up a page by itself. Should I really go into "lessons learned" and "how I moved past it" in the addendum or just save that for my PS? I had a "life experience" after which I went from getting bad grades and getting into trouble to being a good student and all that good stuff. I talk about the "life experience" and how it has changed me in my PS, but I don't mention the charges directly and just state "got into some trouble". So, leave it like it is (mentioned in the PS, full list of charges and all that narrative in addendum)? Expand on the specifics in the PS? Or have a "lessons learned and moving past it" section in the addendum? Maybe I'll post the actual addendum and ask the fine TLS'ers take critique it. Thanks again!

i think stealing a street sign is much less concerning than what one would naturally assume if they heard the term theft.

4 pages is a lot. think about it. they'll know more about you from your addendum than your PS. that can't be good.

ach24

Postby ach24 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:43 pm

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”