Addendum - Lost Job a Year Ago

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
starbucksjunkie

Addendum - Lost Job a Year Ago

Postby starbucksjunkie » Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:40 pm

Some applications require me to disclose if I've ever been fired from a job. I was fired after working at a company for almost two years. Several illegal things took place and my CFO and HR Director asked me to do something illegal and discriminatory. I even got it in writing. I refused to do it and emailed back citing why it was blatantly illegal. They let it drop and explained that they weren't trying to cause any harm. Of course, two weeks later I got fired for performance. I had good evals, no work improvement plans or write ups, but they said they didn't think I wanted to work there anymore and complained that it had taken me too long to return a phone call (2 hours). It was bogus, but UI determined I was terminated without cause so I got unemployment. I didn't sue or file a complaint with the EEOC because I didn't want the company to mess with my UI. I have a solid work history and am currently self employed.

My background is completely clean. No criminal record or citations in school.

GPA: 3.78 in business
LSAT: Waiting on results - PT 160-165 but I felt real good about it.

So, my issue is to write an addendum. Obviously they want just the facts and don't want to hear it wasn't my fault. So, do tell the truth about the circumstances of my termination or do I just say for I was terminated for performance despite not having any write ups and good evaluations and write about how it wasn't a good fit and I learned alot after being fired?

Is a prior termination an issue for being accepted to the bar if I disclose? I'm very stressed about including this on some applications since my LSAT won't be 170 and it could be a reason not to admit me.

Any thoughts?

dresden doll

Re: Addendum - Lost Job a Year Ago

Postby dresden doll » Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:44 pm

I think taking on blame here would be wrong. Just tell the story, provide backup evidence if possible and let them draw their own conclusions.

starbucksjunkie

Postby starbucksjunkie » Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:55 pm

It is wrong to take the blame but I keep going back and forth about it. I doubt submitting the email from my CFO would be appropriate. I have no proof other than my UI decision and references from my job prior to that at another university (where I did UG) and received 2 promotions. My supervisor there was the Director of Admissions who wrote me a LOR.

I don't want them to think I'm not taking responsibility. If they check into it, they aren't going to call my last supervisor and hear the real reason I was fired. They will be told due to performance issues. It truly is my word vs. theirs. I certainly don't want the discrepancy to be an issue when I apply to the bar.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:57 pm

Many understand that large corporations sometimes act in unethical ways. But many also know that there are at least three sides to every story--my side, your side & the truth. Disclose in an open manner, but be careful with your tone & attitude. Everybody with significant work experience has suffered.

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:02 pm

Out of curiosity how many of the apps require this disclosure? (I don't recall seeing this required specifically when I did my apps, but there were a couple apps that had some sort of catch-all C & F question).

It sucks that (often shitty) employers can have so much power to make things miserable for people. However, there are a lot of legal safeguards, including the fact that unless you sign a release I'm fairly sure the employer can't legally do much more than confirm your dates of employment (at least in some states). So there are often legal protections against employers who would really badmouth someone for whatever reason (though how to determine if they are breaking the law in what they share is another story).

But at this point your concern isn't about what the employer may or may not say, it's what you must disclose and how to disclose it. If an app requires you to disclose being fired and you feel there is no question this was a firing (rather than maybe there was some way that you did give them clear indication that you were planning on leaving and they simply 'honored' this), then you need to disclose. Usually with C & F questions like this the school does want a brief explanation. There might even be a box to type it in on the app. Honestly I doubt this will have much of an impact on whether you get accepted or not. I would draw as little attention to it as possible and try not to sound defensive. I would say something cryptic without being dishonest that makes the dismissal sound as neutral as possible. If they want further explanation they can ask for it. That's just what I think I would do, but without seeing the app and knowing more of the situation I won't fully vouch for this answer. Seriously though I wouldn't sweat it too much.

One other option could be to call the company (as much as that might suck) and simply ask if they would be willing to construe your leaving as voluntary on your part (i.e. not a firing). Perhaps it was mutually decided that you were "not the best fit for the position." Even if they can't (because of internal policy etc) or won't work with you on this I think it might be worth a try.

starbucksjunkie

Postby starbucksjunkie » Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:20 pm

I will only disclose if I have to. Case Western was one that specifically asked. Others were more general.

There is no doubt it was a firing. I was there almost two years, so I was a good fit. They won't do anything for me because I pissed my manager, CFO, HR director off by documenting everything. My threat to file a complaint with the EEOC was what backed them off. I also refused to accompany them to a strip club or convert to their religion. Good times....

I think I'm just going to do something like...

On (Date), my position at (Company Name) was terminated. I worked there for almost two years and never had a negative performance evaluation or a write up. This event isn't indicative of my work ethic, as referenced by my consistent work history that demonstrates a pattern of increased responsibility as well as a letter of referrence from my prior supervisor, the Director of Admissions at (school).

It was a firing, but my dept was restructured and they never re-hired my position. Could I ethically put that my position was eliminated? It wasn't a lay-off.

robotclubmember

Postby robotclubmember » Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:58 am

It's CWRU, it's in Cleveland, the economy sucks there and just about everyone knows someone that was laid off at some point or another in the last few years, so I don't think they would frown upon you for saying your position was eliminated. They definitely wouldn't ding you for that with you GPA/expected LSAT. You don't have to bend over backwards explaining it to them. You could tell the most truthful version or if you want to avoid the hassle, just say your position was eliminated. It won't matter either way.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”