If I end up in bottom 10% at Top 6

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
booby87
Posts: 450
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:11 pm

Re: If I end up in bottom 10% at Top 6

Postby booby87 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:14 pm

.
Last edited by booby87 on Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: If I end up in bottom 10% at Top 6

Postby 09042014 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:15 pm

booby87 wrote:
El_Gallo wrote:
Veyron wrote:A good networker even in the bottom 10% can land mid or biglaw. Work on being personable and you'll be good.


Veyron wrote:Bottom 10% at T6 is fucked.


?

the first quote is responding to the original question about HYS. the OP changed the thread to T6 thus the second response.

and I agree, bottom 10% at CCN is way more screwed than bottom 10% at HYS


Maybe at YS, but HLS bottom 10% is just as TTT as CCN bottom ten.

User avatar
DoubleChecks
Posts: 2333
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:35 pm

Re: If I end up in bottom 10% at Top 6

Postby DoubleChecks » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:26 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Maybe at YS, but HLS bottom 10% is just as TTT as CCN bottom ten.


but HLS bottom 10% is so much harder to determine lol...im skeptical that for the upcoming 2L OCI next yr, there will be 55 ppl w/ multiple LPs (plz grades dont prove me wrong!)...which may or may not be a good thing...

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: If I end up in bottom 10% at Top 6

Postby 09042014 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:44 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Maybe at YS, but HLS bottom 10% is just as TTT as CCN bottom ten.


but HLS bottom 10% is so much harder to determine lol...im skeptical that for the upcoming 2L OCI next yr, there will be 55 ppl w/ multiple LPs (plz grades dont prove me wrong!)...which may or may not be a good thing...


It being harder to define doesn't make it better. It's not like Berkeley were a lot of people have the same grade (all P's). Harvard gives out LP's.

Too many of those are you aren't getting big law.

If CLS is like Northwestern it's probably pretty hard to figure out bottom 10% as well.

User avatar
DoubleChecks
Posts: 2333
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:35 pm

Re: If I end up in bottom 10% at Top 6

Postby DoubleChecks » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:29 am

Desert Fox wrote:
DoubleChecks wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Maybe at YS, but HLS bottom 10% is just as TTT as CCN bottom ten.


but HLS bottom 10% is so much harder to determine lol...im skeptical that for the upcoming 2L OCI next yr, there will be 55 ppl w/ multiple LPs (plz grades dont prove me wrong!)...which may or may not be a good thing...


It being harder to define doesn't make it better. It's not like Berkeley were a lot of people have the same grade (all P's). Harvard gives out LP's.

Too many of those are you aren't getting big law.

If CLS is like Northwestern it's probably pretty hard to figure out bottom 10% as well.


huh? well first off, i said it may not be a good thing

and LPs are discretionary now, so we'll have to see how many are given out; but even so, one LP doesnt mean bottom 10%...but does 2? i guess since it is a new change, employers may not have all the 'facts in'...tho im sure after interviewing a few hundred applicants, the ones who have more LPs than the others will be relegated to the 'bottom' regardless

i have no idea how CLS does its grading aside from it using the usual +/- system

rundoxierun
Posts: 1893
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:46 am

Re: If I end up in bottom 10% at Top 6

Postby rundoxierun » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:56 am

Can people plz stop the baseless speculation regarding HLS... you are scaring me even though I know better.

User avatar
Unemployed
Posts: 699
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:35 am

Re: If I end up in bottom 10% at Top 6

Postby Unemployed » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:02 am

tkgrrett wrote:Can people plz stop the baseless speculation regarding HLS... you are scaring me even though I know better.


Serious question: how do you know better?

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: If I end up in bottom 10% at Top 6

Postby 09042014 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:04 am

tkgrrett wrote:Can people plz stop the baseless speculation regarding HLS... you are scaring me even though I know better.


XO had OCI data from Class of 2011 OCI. HLS did about as well at CLS and NYU. Top of HLS beats them, but nobody wants the fuck ups.

rundoxierun
Posts: 1893
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:46 am

Re: If I end up in bottom 10% at Top 6

Postby rundoxierun » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:07 am

Unemployed wrote:
tkgrrett wrote:Can people plz stop the baseless speculation regarding HLS... you are scaring me even though I know better.


Serious question: how do you know better?


As in I know better than to believe the hype.. no one here really knows any better than I do (little). Everything is based on the same out of context numbers I have seen. I mean, you all could definitely be right.. Im not saying you arent. Just saying I have seen the same things that you all are referring to and I know it tells us pretty much nothing.

User avatar
Unemployed
Posts: 699
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:35 am

Re: If I end up in bottom 10% at Top 6

Postby Unemployed » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:13 am

tkgrrett wrote:
Unemployed wrote:
tkgrrett wrote:Can people plz stop the baseless speculation regarding HLS... you are scaring me even though I know better.


Serious question: how do you know better?


As in I know better than to believe the hype.. no one here really knows any better than I do (little). Everything is based on the same out of context numbers I have seen. I mean, you all could definitely be right.. Im not saying you arent. Just saying I have seen the same things that you all are referring to and I know it tells us pretty much nothing.


Can you tell us one thing? Does the xo figure (i.e. 650 participants, 377 got jobs) include 3L's and/or LLM's?

OCI/EIP is not an exact science, but I think it's reasonable to say that the bottom 10% - if there is such a thing - is in trouble. They are obviously not screwed for life, but the fact is, plenty of HLS peeps struck out in the last two years.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: If I end up in bottom 10% at Top 6

Postby 09042014 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:20 am

Unemployed wrote:
tkgrrett wrote:
Unemployed wrote:
tkgrrett wrote:Can people plz stop the baseless speculation regarding HLS... you are scaring me even though I know better.


Serious question: how do you know better?


As in I know better than to believe the hype.. no one here really knows any better than I do (little). Everything is based on the same out of context numbers I have seen. I mean, you all could definitely be right.. Im not saying you arent. Just saying I have seen the same things that you all are referring to and I know it tells us pretty much nothing.


Can you tell us one thing? Does the xo figure (i.e. 650 participants, 377 got jobs) include 3L's and/or LLM's?

OCI/EIP is not an exact science, but I think it's reasonable to say that the bottom 10% - if there is such a thing - is in trouble. They are obviously not screwed for life, but the fact is, plenty of HLS peeps struck out in the last two years.


Xo figures definitely includes more than 2L's because there aren't 650 of them.

rundoxierun
Posts: 1893
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:46 am

Re: If I end up in bottom 10% at Top 6

Postby rundoxierun » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:22 am

Unemployed wrote:
tkgrrett wrote:
As in I know better than to believe the hype.. no one here really knows any better than I do (little). Everything is based on the same out of context numbers I have seen. I mean, you all could definitely be right.. Im not saying you arent. Just saying I have seen the same things that you all are referring to and I know it tells us pretty much nothing.


Can you tell us one thing? Does the xo figure (i.e. 650 participants, 377 got jobs) include 3L's and/or LLM's?

OCI/EIP is not an exact science, but I think it's reasonable to say that the bottom 10% - if there is such a thing - is in trouble. They are obviously not screwed for life, but the fact is, plenty of HLS peeps struck out in the last two years.


This is my point.. none of us can possibly know this or a number of other things.

User avatar
Unemployed
Posts: 699
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:35 am

Re: If I end up in bottom 10% at Top 6

Postby Unemployed » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:23 am

Desert Fox wrote:
Unemployed wrote:
tkgrrett wrote:
Unemployed wrote:
Serious question: how do you know better?


As in I know better than to believe the hype.. no one here really knows any better than I do (little). Everything is based on the same out of context numbers I have seen. I mean, you all could definitely be right.. Im not saying you arent. Just saying I have seen the same things that you all are referring to and I know it tells us pretty much nothing.


Can you tell us one thing? Does the xo figure (i.e. 650 participants, 377 got jobs) include 3L's and/or LLM's?

OCI/EIP is not an exact science, but I think it's reasonable to say that the bottom 10% - if there is such a thing - is in trouble. They are obviously not screwed for life, but the fact is, plenty of HLS peeps struck out in the last two years.


Xo figures definitely includes more than 2L's because there aren't 650 of them.


I figured maybe HLS pulled a CLS and increased their class size by 100 (bigger class + more transfers). Troubled times means they need more money :lol:

User avatar
Unemployed
Posts: 699
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:35 am

Re: If I end up in bottom 10% at Top 6

Postby Unemployed » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:26 am

tkgrrett wrote:
Unemployed wrote:
tkgrrett wrote:
As in I know better than to believe the hype.. no one here really knows any better than I do (little). Everything is based on the same out of context numbers I have seen. I mean, you all could definitely be right.. Im not saying you arent. Just saying I have seen the same things that you all are referring to and I know it tells us pretty much nothing.


Can you tell us one thing? Does the xo figure (i.e. 650 participants, 377 got jobs) include 3L's and/or LLM's?

OCI/EIP is not an exact science, but I think it's reasonable to say that the bottom 10% - if there is such a thing - is in trouble. They are obviously not screwed for life, but the fact is, plenty of HLS peeps struck out in the last two years.


This is my point.. none of us can possibly know this or a number of other things.


Uh... HLS students: You aren't getting your money's worth if your OCS refuses to release the 2L-only version. And why in the world would any OCS sabotage itself by combining the 2L and 3L EIP stats?

rundoxierun
Posts: 1893
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:46 am

Re: If I end up in bottom 10% at Top 6

Postby rundoxierun » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:42 am

Unemployed wrote:This is my point.. none of us can possibly know this or a number of other things.


Uh... HLS students: You aren't getting your money's worth if your OCS refuses to release the 2L-only version. And why in the world would any OCS sabotage itself by combining the 2L and 3L EIP stats?[/quote]

Someone may know but be unwilling to confirm. It wasnt even 100% confirmed whether the true number is 377 or 391.

leodown
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:25 am

Re: If I end up in bottom 10% at Top 6

Postby leodown » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:38 am

I got banned for trying to sell hookers.

User avatar
DoubleChecks
Posts: 2333
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:35 pm

Re: If I end up in bottom 10% at Top 6

Postby DoubleChecks » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:53 pm

Unemployed wrote:
tkgrrett wrote:
Unemployed wrote:
tkgrrett wrote:
As in I know better than to believe the hype.. no one here really knows any better than I do (little). Everything is based on the same out of context numbers I have seen. I mean, you all could definitely be right.. Im not saying you arent. Just saying I have seen the same things that you all are referring to and I know it tells us pretty much nothing.


Can you tell us one thing? Does the xo figure (i.e. 650 participants, 377 got jobs) include 3L's and/or LLM's?

OCI/EIP is not an exact science, but I think it's reasonable to say that the bottom 10% - if there is such a thing - is in trouble. They are obviously not screwed for life, but the fact is, plenty of HLS peeps struck out in the last two years.


This is my point.. none of us can possibly know this or a number of other things.


Uh... HLS students: You aren't getting your money's worth if your OCS refuses to release the 2L-only version. And why in the world would any OCS sabotage itself by combining the 2L and 3L EIP stats?


wow that xo thread and the HLS EIP stats again? i feel like in the other thread it had already been talked to death...and i still hear varying conclusions...in reality, the stats dont tell us much of anything new at all

for 2011, HLS had roughly 550 students (as it does every yr)...and they hit around 40ish transfers, so that means 590 tops would be the 2Ls for EIP at HLS 2011. now, that is assuming 100% of the HLS class decided to participate in EIP...which is highly unlikely. furthermore, the stats do not talk about those who RECEIVED offers, simply those who ACCEPTED offers.

and the actual number wasnt 377, it was like 391 (based on the actual data)...

391/<590 (no one knows the exact number, could be 540, seems reasonable to me that ~90% participate in EIP) = 72.4% who ACCEPTED offers...this gets close to the 80% figure ITE that gets floated for HLS anyways

ive also heard from multiple sources (so only anecdotally) that this past OCI's participants did noticeably better than class of 2011...but i mean, that trend could be true for CLS and NYU as well

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: If I end up in bottom 10% at Top 6

Postby Veyron » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:19 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
booby87 wrote:
El_Gallo wrote:
Veyron wrote:A good networker even in the bottom 10% can land mid or biglaw. Work on being personable and you'll be good.


Veyron wrote:Bottom 10% at T6 is fucked.


?

the first quote is responding to the original question about HYS. the OP changed the thread to T6 thus the second response.

and I agree, bottom 10% at CCN is way more screwed than bottom 10% at HYS


Maybe at YS, but HLS bottom 10% is just as TTT as CCN bottom ten.


Wasn't saying it was a guarantee. If you are dead last in the class at Harvard but were a good networker and personable, biglaw or midlaw would be a certainty. Maybe not at OCI but you will get it. If you don't have a professional network or are only an average interviewer, then you would be fucked.

User avatar
98234872348
Posts: 1547
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:25 pm

Re: If I end up in bottom 10% at Top 6

Postby 98234872348 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:21 pm

dreamer wrote:will I still have a good shoot at Biglaw? :roll:

Outcome unlikely.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: If I end up in bottom 10% at Top 6

Postby vanwinkle » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:34 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:wow that xo thread and the HLS EIP stats again? i feel like in the other thread it had already been talked to death...and i still hear varying conclusions...in reality, the stats dont tell us much of anything new at all

What's really funny is that, as much as those numbers got talked about (and still get talked about) on here, some of the xoxo folks accused us (and me personally) of "censorship" and trying to "prevent" TLSers from knowing about those stats.

I laugh.

User avatar
beach_terror
Posts: 7256
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Re: If I end up in bottom 10% at Top 6

Postby beach_terror » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:39 pm

mistergoft wrote:
dreamer wrote:will I still have a good shoot at Biglaw? :roll:

Outcome unlikely.

I lol'd.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 2 guests