Question Regarding Resume/CV

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
BobCostas

Question Regarding Resume/CV

Postby BobCostas » Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:54 am

Okay I'm being deadly serious here, no trolling.

When I was in High School I released an Independent hip-hop album. I wrote and co-produced all of the songs. It sold over 100 copies. It was done primarily as a joke but my friend and I worked hard and made over 1000 bucks off of it. I'm debating including it in my CV/resume for my applications for a number of reasons;

Pros
-might make me stand out
-shows diverse skill set
-is hilarious

Cons
-could make me look immature for including it
-might seem trivial given what I'm applying to.

Any input is appreciated

Bildungsroman

Re: Question Regarding Resume/CV

Postby Bildungsroman » Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:02 am

BobCostas wrote:-is hilarious

Typically not a trait that you want in your resume.

Dany

Postby Dany » Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:06 am

Bildungsroman wrote:

This.

The last thing you want is for your application to make you seem flippant.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:18 am

If you want to include this, I would create a "hobbies" or "interests" section. Don't list this as employment or an achievement. Law students are encouraged to include an interests section in their resumes. I know that you're not in law school yet, but I think it would be fine to have such a section in your admissions resume. I would probably say that you wrote and produced a music album, but I would exclude the fact that it was hip hop. You never know if the adcomms will have an unfavorable opinion of hip hop.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:20 am

eskimo wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:

This.

Because people with senses of humor are auto-dinged when they apply for law school.

I would definitely include this, it sounds awesome - how many law school applicants will have produced and released an album in high school? (This also breaks the "no high school" rule BTW).

About the not mentioning hip hop thing... I have to ask the question. URM?

pwyoung

Postby pwyoung » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:27 pm

Just an FYI, 100 copies isn't even a venue some places. MAYBE I'd understand if you had picked it up and had done some basic touring and a steady stream of sales, but a flash in the pan of 100 homemade CD's isn't that impressive. Something like that is a hobby at best.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:47 pm

pwyoung wrote:Just an FYI, 100 copies isn't even a venue some places. MAYBE I'd understand if you had picked it up and had done some basic touring and a steady stream of sales, but a flash in the pan of 100 homemade CD's isn't that impressive. Something like that is a hobby at best.

I agree with this, but it's an interesting hobby, and it humanizes the OP. I would definitely include it. I wouldn't say a word about doing it in high school. Just mention the dates. Regardless of whether you're URM, I'd leave off the hip hop bit because people often make false assumptions about hip hop. You'd be fighting against some negative stereotypes. Why risk it? The fact that it was hip hop doesn't add anything useful to the resume.

joebloe

Postby joebloe » Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:08 pm

Did it get any airplay?

I would say this can go to show experiential diversity at the very least, and if you're URM it might help enhance the general diversity boost if you can parlay it into ties to the community.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:50 pm

ahduth wrote:
eskimo wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:

This.

Because people with senses of humor are auto-dinged when they apply for law school.

That seems like a pretty fair summary of our "treat your resume like a resume" argument. :roll:

It's pretty silly to suggest that somebody applying for a professional school include on their resume a CD they sold 100 copies of in high school. Nothing wrong with having a sense of humor, but law schools won't respond well to trying to get lulz out of your application.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:42 pm

I was responding to the application comment more than the resume angle. I'm going to get dinged everywhere (except the places I've been accepted I assume) if the adcoms don't like people who show a little humor.

But resumes definitely need to be professional. I suppose it really depends on how far out of school this person is. If they're straight from UG, I would absolutely include it - it shows far more creativity and initiative than signing up for a half a dozen clubs like everyone else.

- Wrote, co-produced and released independent music album.

It will stick out way more than listing the same boring college stuff as everyone else.

If this person has 3-5 years of work experience however, then yeah, it's time to move on.

fundamentallybroken

Postby fundamentallybroken » Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:44 am

ahduth wrote:I was responding to the application comment more than the resume angle. I'm going to get dinged everywhere (except the places I've been accepted I assume) if the adcoms don't like people who show a little humor.

But resumes definitely need to be professional. I suppose it really depends on how far out of school this person is. If they're straight from UG, I would absolutely include it - it shows far more creativity and initiative than signing up for a half a dozen clubs like everyone else.

- Wrote, co-produced and released independent music album.

It will stick out way more than listing the same boring college stuff as everyone else.

If this person has 3-5 years of work experience however, then yeah, it's time to move on.

I agree with everything here, except I would put the line as:

- Wrote, co-produced, and released profitable independent music album.

Anyone can release an album, not everyone can make a couple of bucks from releasing an album.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”