Getting ready for June LSAT, preparing as a splitter

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Which section of the LSAT is the hardest to master?

Logic Games
20%
Reading Comprehension
56%
Logical Reasoning
24%

Total votes: 66

Zach0901

Getting ready for June LSAT, preparing as a splitter

Postby Zach0901 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:36 pm

So Im currently a junior in undergrad taking up a double major in Business Legal Studies (new major) and Political Science. As a result of my double major, extracurriculars (on two different exec boards) and job (20-30 hrs/week) I would estimate my final GPA for applications will fall between a 3.15-3.25. That being said Ive always had my eyes set on attending a Tier-1 Law school and after my diagnostic LSAT (163 taken completely cold as a freshman) I feel my best chances are to try and ace the LSAT and become a splitter. That being said I am aiming for a 170+ which I feel is totally reasonable given my first score and that I have enrolled in Powerscore's virtual class. I was looking for some direction though as to what people found to be the hardest section to get down to perfect. I realize this is likely extremely dependent on each person's unique skills but thought I would ask as before the class starts I was hoping to buy the bible for either the LG or the LR sections since it seems LG's are completely masterable if enough time is put in and the LR section is about half of the exam. Any other tips would be greatly appreciated!

magicman554

Re: Getting ready for June LSAT, preparing as a splitter

Postby magicman554 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:40 pm

Haha, the vote results look like a frank and two beans the way it is.

NOBODY CHANGE IT.

Revolver066

Postby Revolver066 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:49 pm

Def. buy both the bibles. Yup, both LG and LR are very learn-able, and with a 163 cold test I think 170s shouldn't be a big stretch for you at all. Just put the time in, take a boatload of timed PTs, and you'll do fine. I never really improved my RC tbh. Even from the first prep test to the last I was always around -2.

magicman554

Postby magicman554 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:12 pm

Wow, the the ball/shlong ratio is increasing, but the shape remains!

glitched

Postby glitched » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:10 pm

magicman554 wrote:Wow, the the ball/shlong ratio is increasing, but the shape remains!

I think this might be making you a little too... excited. It's hard to imagine why though. We all know this discussion will eventually reach its climax soon.

Sentry

Postby Sentry » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:44 pm

penis poll

jaestro

Postby jaestro » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:59 am

You do not need to take a class, just money and time well in advance to study.
Buy all three bibles, plus every single lsat test available.
Save the most recent tests for your practice tests.
Go through all of the logic games, if there are games you have trouble with, make sure you learn how to do them, and restudy those games. You do this, and it will be relatively easy to get 2 or less questions wrong.
Through repetition, the logical reasoning section becomes easier, because you will know the patterns.
With reading comprehension, just read up on all current issues the section involves. Read poli sci journals, art essays, science journals, whatever. If you have beforehand knowledge about a subject that is tested, you have a huge advantage. That's why reading comprehension is the hardest section. It is like the Verbal analogies on the SAT. You can study your ass off learning thousands of vocab words, but there still might be a word that you never learned on the test.

Finally, most people choke on the day of the test. You should feel no pressure if you studied. Because you worked too hard to choke, do not be nervous, be ready. Also, checkout the test location in advance. On the day of the test, don't be foolish and wait in line with everyone else to check in. It could take an hour or more for everyone to sign in. Just find a comfortable place to sit and relax and keep your eye on the line. I think it is foolish to wait standing and talking about irrelevant facts with others, when you can just chill out, close your eyes, and be the last one to enter.
If you are a coffee drinker or redbull person, don't have your beverage well in advance if you want to maximize your caffeine rush. Wait until everyone is signed in, and the prompter goes through the boring rules of the test. Then gulp your drink.

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:08 am

jaestro wrote:If you are a coffee drinker or redbull person, don't have your beverage well in advance if you want to maximize your caffeine rush. Wait until everyone is signed in, and the prompter goes through the boring rules of the test. Then gulp your drink.

lol.....just don't do what I did and get a big caffeine rush that wears off halfway though the test. When I got my results back, the number correct in the first couple sections versus the last ones was kind of disappointing.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:26 am

DCLaw11 wrote:
jaestro wrote:If you are a coffee drinker or redbull person, don't have your beverage well in advance if you want to maximize your caffeine rush. Wait until everyone is signed in, and the prompter goes through the boring rules of the test. Then gulp your drink.

lol.....just don't do what I did and get a big caffeine rush that wears off halfway though the test. When I got my results back, the number correct in the first couple sections versus the last ones was kind of disappointing.

Make sure you don't have to pee in the middle of the first section. I missed at least three questions because of that.

jaestro

Postby jaestro » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:18 pm

I would recommend expresso shots. Lots of caffeine, little liquid. Also, have some more expresso during the break. Also, I think it is common for people to do better the first half of the test. I remember the second half of the test as being a complete blur.

TLSanders

Postby TLSanders » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:40 pm

Honestly, you don't need either of them. Your initial score indicates that you have all the basic skills necessary to do well on the LSAT. A course and practicing the strategies you pick up there will help you with any test-specific issues you might have and improve your speed and consistency. I'm not saying you should get cocky--make good use of the class and practice religiously--but throwing too much information into the mix and learning to re-think things that were already working for you can be a detriment at that level. You're not creating something new at this point (as the vast majority of LSAT students are) but honing something that's well underway.

That said, it's critical that when you do practice, you're methodical every time. With that kind of starting score, you probably will be able to be sloppy and intuitive on a lot of questions and still get them right, but that's not the point--the point is ingraining a methodology that will work for you on the tougher ones, and that means doing the same thing every time.

hjag

Postby hjag » Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:53 am

I'm not sure how applicable this might be to you, but the biggest obstacle I had to overcome was my testing anxiety.

That being said, one way to prepare yourself for this is to do 30, as opposed to 35 minute sections. That way, if a panic attack hits mid-section, you'll know that you work sufficiently fast to overcome to lost time. Studying in a noisy environment is also a good idea. Believe me, on testing day, you will be surrounded by coughers, pencil tappers, or noisy writers, and it can be incredibly distracting in a quiet testing room.

Also, I'm not sure your poll will really say anything meaningful because while most people might find RC the most difficult to improve on, if you're already a good reader, you won't have to practice much to master this section.
In general, people will say that
- Logic games are easiest to improve dramatically on (from your diagnostic).
- Reading comp. is the section you'll see the least and the slowest improvement on.
- Logical reasoning is just so-so. I rarely hear people say this is their best section, which tends to be either RC or LGs.

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:09 am

hjag wrote:I'm not sure how applicable this might be to you, but the biggest obstacle I had to overcome was my testing anxiety.

That being said, one way to prepare yourself for this is to do 30, as opposed to 35 minute sections. That way, if a panic attack hits mid-section, you'll know that you work sufficiently fast to overcome to lost time. Studying in a noisy environment is also a good idea. Believe me, on testing day, you will be surrounded by coughers, pencil tappers, or noisy writers, and it can be incredibly distracting in a quiet testing room.

Also, I'm not sure your poll will really say anything meaningful because while most people might find RC the most difficult to improve on, if you're already a good reader, you won't have to practice much to master this section.
In general, people will say that
- Logic games are easiest to improve dramatically on (from your diagnostic).
- Reading comp. is the section you'll see the least and the slowest improvement on.
- Logical reasoning is just so-so. I rarely hear people say this is their best section, which tends to be either RC or LGs.

I think what bothered me the most was the proctors constantly walking around the desks. My proctors literally walked around non-stop and stared at what everyone was doing for 5 hours, and it was kind of annoying. So yeah, just get used to taking PTs in a noisy or bustling area so that you learn to ignore these things, because learning to tolerate movements and noises would have helped me.

FWIW, I found RC and LR to be very easy and I usualy miss only about 2-3 per section. However, logic games take me FOREVER, and I'm never able to finish them on time, even after studying for months. I could have easily increased my LSAT by 8 or so points if I finished my LGs on time, so you might want to focus on them if that's your weak spot.

Zach0901

Postby Zach0901 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:25 am

Thanks everyone, the tips are really helpful and I have decided that I will start the class and if I find that Im still lacking in certain areas I will buy the books at a later date. Also thank you for the tips on how to practice in order to avoid test taking anxiety and to master the methodology behind the LSAT. Text taking anxiety has never been a major issue for me but at the same time given my GPA, this one test essentially determines the rest of my career as a student so its better to eliminate any chance of anxiety now than get to the test and have a "oh my god my life is dependent on the results of this test" wave rush over me. It seems like a lot of people are curious about splitter stats so Ill definitely submit my stats and acceptances later on to give others a better idea

nStiver

Postby nStiver » Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:16 am

The left nut is deformed, it is shrunken and smaller than the right nut.

nStiver

Postby nStiver » Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:17 am

ps my vote increased the shaft.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”