Year-old LOR

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
sudoku

Year-old LOR

Postby sudoku » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:41 pm

Howdy! I have an LOR from a previous boss, written and submitted for me about a year ago. I am not certain if I can reach him with time enough to update his LOR and have it processed by LSAC in time, or even if I can reach him at all. This boss was more of a mentor, and since I don't have any from profs (out of school for some time), his perspective of me is far more applicable than those I could get today. Is it in bad form to use an LOR dated 1+ years ago? My situation has since changed, too (I've been promoted since, but this is evident in my resume).

Thanks for the opinions!

Knock

Re: Year-old LOR

Postby Knock » Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:29 pm

sudoku wrote:Howdy! I have an LOR from a previous boss, written and submitted for me about a year ago. I am not certain if I can reach him with time enough to update his LOR and have it processed by LSAC in time, or even if I can reach him at all. This boss was more of a mentor, and since I don't have any from profs (out of school for some time), his perspective of me is far more applicable than those I could get today. Is it in bad form to use an LOR dated 1+ years ago? My situation has since changed, too (I've been promoted since, but this is evident in my resume).

Thanks for the opinions!

No it's fine.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:52 pm

If you're reapplying and using the same LOR I would suggest trying to get an update. UPenn held my application for updated LORs. If it is just because you were not ready to apply a year ago then it should be fine. I already got in to a couple of schools using LORs that were written last January.

Knock

Postby Knock » Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:32 pm

bdubs wrote:If you're reapplying and using the same LOR I would suggest trying to get an update. UPenn held my application for updated LORs. If it is just because you were not ready to apply a year ago then it should be fine. I already got in to a couple of schools using LORs that were written last January.

I think U. Penn has their own policy. If you reapply to them they want at least one new LOR. Most schools don't have a policy like this I believe, but double check.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”