GPA Addendum for diagnosed depression?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
o2bnlv

GPA Addendum for diagnosed depression?

Postby o2bnlv » Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:05 pm

Hello,

I had a 2.4ish for my first 4.5 years of UG. In my final semester, I sought counseling for serious depression. I took 30 hours and carried a 4.0. Does a note from my physician help my chances at a t14? LSAT is 170.

NZA

Re: GPA Addendum for diagnosed depression?

Postby NZA » Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:08 pm

o2bnlv wrote:Hello,

I had a 2.4ish for my first 4.5 years of UG. In my final semester, I sought counseling for serious depression. I took 30 hours and carried a 4.0. Does a note from my physician help my chances at a t14? LSAT is 170.

Maybe. Did being depressed actually relate to your poor performance?

Not to sound like a dick (seriously, I don't know you OP or your situation, but just saying), but there are a lot of people who have struggled through previously undiagnosed mental illnesses and still managed a higher GPA.

So...it depends. :) But I think, yeah, if your mental illness actually did affect your academic performance then you should write an addendum. The thing I would focus on, though, is the fact that the steps you've taken to manage your depression have helped you to become a better student.

EDIT: I don't think the note from your physician would be necessary, however.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:25 am

You won't be able to get into a T14 with that GPA, but try WUSTL, Illinois, Minnesota, etc. They all bite on high LSATs even if you have a miserable GPA. I'd definitely write the addendum, but addendums don't really make a ton of difference either way. All they do is reassure schools that are inclined to admit you anyway.

Do you have any accomplishments since then that demonstrate consistent performance? If so, that could help.

Also, keep in mind that mental challenges are not ignored when it comes to passing the C&F section of the Bar Exam. I doubt depression will prevent you from passing, especially if you have long-term evidence to prove that you are over it. If you were depressed for that long and it took you 4.5 years to seek help, the bar may ask you some questions about that. Keep it in mind, though, that you're going to have to show the bar that you can manage your mental state before they let you represent clients. Use it as motivation to do well in law school and never look back.

ItsMyTimeBoston

Postby ItsMyTimeBoston » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:52 am

You might have a chance applying ED to Northwestern next year. Serious depression is worth an addendum and you can build a strong application around overcoming it.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”