Same Cycle: Georgetown AND Northwestern ED Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
greenchair

Bronze

Same Cycle: Georgetown AND Northwestern ED

Post by greenchair » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:16 pm

I'm applying next cycle. I was doing some research I thought up of this... Please let me know if I have it wrong.

I understand the rule behind early decision -- but hear me out.

Georgetown starts accepting ED applications 10/1. Their website says they will turn your application around within 3 weeks. If all my documents go complete on 10/1, Georgetown will theoretically have a decision for me by the end of October. Even if they are late, it's possible to get my decision by first or second week of November. At this point, if I am not accepted, I can still make the early decision cutoff for other schools, like Northwestern (11/15).

If Georgetown is my #1 choice and Northwestern is my #2 choice, would it make sense to do this? And is it legal? Has anyone done it in the past?

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Re: Same Cycle: Georgetown AND Northwestern ED

Post by CanadianWolf » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:23 pm

It is legal; the real issue is whether or not it is permitted by each law school under their ED rules.

greenchair

Bronze

Post by greenchair » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:41 pm

I just called Northwestern and no one could answer this question. Said it has never come up... lol. The guy suggested to email the admission office and that they will forward it to the director.

I'm surprised this hasn't come up this cycle...

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:44 pm

greenchair wrote:I just called Northwestern and no one could answer this question. Said it has never come up... lol. The guy suggested to email the admission office and that they will forward it to the director.

I'm surprised this hasn't come up this cycle...
I'm sure it has. I'd read the ED contracts for each school.

akili

Gold

Post by akili » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:53 pm

my bad. this was totally wrong.
Last edited by akili on Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

greenchair

Bronze

Post by greenchair » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:55 pm

Knock wrote:I'm sure it has. I'd read the ED contracts for each school.
Northwestern's contract:

"During this admissions cycle, I have not submitted and will not submit an application for Early Decision at any other law school nor will I enter into an Early Decision agreement with any other law school."

Touche.

Georgetown's is more loose and less clear:

"I understand that I may not apply to any other law schools under a similarly binding Early Decision process."

This sentence is incomplete. It has no time element to it. If I were to take it at face value, it would mean that I can't apply ED to any school, *EVER* -- even if another admission cycle.

Let's take a look at UVA:

"An Early Decision applicant may apply for admission to other law schools, but once admitted to the University of Virginia as an Early Decision applicant, the applicant must withdraw all other law school applications and may not initiate any new applications for admission."

In the agreement, there is no language about *having applied* ED anywhere.

In conclusion... I can't pull this off with Northwestern. From how the contract reads, though, if I really wanted to, I can do it with Georgetown and UVA.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:59 pm

Northwestern may have some unusual provisions in its ED contract barring applying ED to other law schools in the same cycle. Not sure of the precise wording, but you would be voluntarily entering into a contract if you apply ED (whether or not you are accepted) which may limit your options. Some have opined that the wording is somewhat ambiguous, but it is best to clarify with NU admissions first.

P.S. Many posters have reported applying ED to Virginia, Penn & Michigan in the same cycle, thus, it depends upon the specific law schools' ED contract provisions.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”