how important is nature of work experience?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
maxpower430

how important is nature of work experience?

Postby maxpower430 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:49 pm

a little background, i'm six months out of undergrad and currently working doing a public interest type job full-time. the pay is decent, and it is generally fulfilling, and i think it looks good on my resume. however, i do not think it is particularly stable, and it has made my lsat prep difficult. i've been offered a job that would make my lsat prep a lot easier and the pay would allow me to put away a lot more for law school, but it is essentially a temp job/office duties. i'm worried that people looking at my app would wonder why i transitioned from my current job to this one, and i was wondering if it would adversely affect me at the top schools? numbers wise i have a 3.9 and am shooting for the june lsat, where hopefully i can crack 170+. before taking this job i'd just like to know if it would hurt me in the long run/if sticking with my current job would be better. thanks for the help.

T6Hopeful

Re: how important is nature of work experience?

Postby T6Hopeful » Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:11 pm

maxpower430 wrote:a little background, i'm six months out of undergrad and currently working doing a public interest type job full-time. the pay is decent, and it is generally fulfilling, and i think it looks good on my resume. however, i do not think it is particularly stable, and it has made my lsat prep difficult. i've been offered a job that would make my lsat prep a lot easier and the pay would allow me to put away a lot more for law school, but it is essentially a temp job/office duties. i'm worried that people looking at my app would wonder why i transitioned from my current job to this one, and i was wondering if it would adversely affect me at the top schools? numbers wise i have a 3.9 and am shooting for the june lsat, where hopefully i can crack 170+. before taking this job i'd just like to know if it would hurt me in the long run/if sticking with my current job would be better. thanks for the help.

I'd say your work experience should be taking a backseat to your LSAT. A few points on the LSAT will far outweigh any work experience you can accumulate in a year. That being said, if you can really buckle down and study for the LSAT and break 172-173+ with your GPA, you could really have a shot at YHS. I hesitate to say it's COMPLETELY a numbers game, but with that GPA, a high LSAT should be your first priority. I'd say take the next job.

glitched

Postby glitched » Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:09 pm

I would bet that some people would say stop working entirely for a few months and study hard to get that 174+

Postby 09042014 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:35 pm

leeronalda wrote:I would bet that some people would say stop working entirely for a few months and study hard to get that 174+

Those people would be idiots. How much can you possibly study for the LSAT in one day? Man up and just do it after work.

maxpower430

Postby maxpower430 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:11 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
leeronalda wrote:I would bet that some people would say stop working entirely for a few months and study hard to get that 174+

Those people would be idiots. How much can you possibly study for the LSAT in one day? Man up and just do it after work.

yea quitting solely for lsat isn't really an option since i don't live home anymore, and like desertfox said, i wouldn't do much more lsat than i already do after work.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”