Is applying early really that important?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
SnoDog

Is applying early really that important?

Postby SnoDog » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:27 am

Hello everyone, I'm new here to TLS, a recent college grad and prospective law student.

I'm planning on taking my LSAT soon in Feb., and have been studying for the past month and will continue until test day. I'm planning on only taking the LSAT once, with no (current) plans to retake.

I was busy finishing up graduation as well as working so I wasn't aware of things like ED, etc. But now that I've had more time to study and look into admissions, the whole thing about applying early definitely concerns me.

I don't particularly have a high UG GPA, so I'm hoping to score high on the LSAT, and I'd like to go to either Chapman or Loyola here in CA. But they both began taking applications as early as September, and I'll receive my Feb. LSAT scores in early March, correct? I know that I will allowed to apply then, but will this put me at a significant disadvantage to other applicants with similar GPA/LSAT scores who applied back in September?

What are my best options at this point?

Thanks in advance guys, I've been learning a lot after discovering TLS.

-Sno

pwyoung

Re: Is applying early really that important?

Postby pwyoung » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:47 am

Law school admissions (or at least the majority of them) are done on a rolling basis, and most have a set number of seats for the incoming class. Meaning if there's 300 potential admits, the people who applied in October were looking for 1/300, whereas if you apply late on the game, you may be competing with other late applicants for 50 or so seats.

In your situation, the overwhelming response is to wait until next cycle. March is FAR too late and most schools decisions will already be done.

However, because you have yet to take the LSAT, if you're delaying until next year, I'd suggest taking the June LSAT as opposed to the February one. The difference is that the February test is undisguised, meaning you can't figure out where you went wrong. If you take the June LSAT and you feel as if you can do better, you know what you're working with so in the summer you can re-study and retake in October for a better score and still get applications in early.

LurkerNoMore

Postby LurkerNoMore » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:49 am

If you plan on going to either of those schools, you will want to get the biggest scholarship you can to make it anywhere close to a good financial investment. While you might get in in March, scholarship funds will likely be gone by then. Take the Feb LSAT (retake in June if you don't knock it out of the park), graduate, get a legal-related job (you will need connections to get a job after graduation from those law schools), then apply in the fall.

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:55 am

Take a bunch of classes to boost your GPA, study this summer, take June/Oct test. With the Feb test you are getting your scores and files complete at schools right at their deadlines - meaning unless you are auto-admit its dicey.

wait a year.

Lwoods

Postby Lwoods » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:59 am

Sandro777 wrote:Take a bunch of classes to boost your GPA, study this summer, take June/Oct test. With the Feb test you are getting your scores and files complete at schools right at their deadlines - meaning unless you are auto-admit its dicey.

wait a year.

+1

Also, even if you are auto-admit, you might be denying yourself scholarship $ as budgets dwindle down later in the season.

SnoDog

Postby SnoDog » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:44 am

Thanks a bunch for the info guys, I've decided to still take it in Feb. (next month!) but will wait to apply for schools the next cycle. I've been studying fairly steadily and feel like by getting the LSAT over with will give me more time to analyze and get everything in order for the application process.

Also a question: Some of you have recommended that since I have a low GPA, (a 3.00 to be specific) that taking additional classes to boost it will help. Is this true? I've already graduated in May '10 and am now finished with my undergraduate career. Or am I? Will I still be able to for example, take classes at a community college and use those grades to boost my cumulative GPA that law schools will look at? Or is this not allowed?

Adjudicator

Postby Adjudicator » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:48 am

If you've already received your BA/BS, then your GPA is set in stone, as far as the LSAC is concerned. No additional classes will be counted.

SnoDog

Postby SnoDog » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:49 am

Adjudicator wrote:If you've already received your BA/BS, then your GPA is set in stone, as far as the LSAC is concerned. No additional classes will be counted.

Ah, I see. That's what I suspected. Thanks.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”