bad past...

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ladodgers

bad past...

Postby ladodgers » Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:39 am

Hello,

I have competitive numbers and am looking to attend a T14 law school, but I have a bit of a spotty past. I was arrested three times while I was a minor: breaking and entering, battery, and grand theft. I've cleaned up my act and have not been in trouble since then, with the exception of a dui, which has since been expunged, 5 years ago.

I understand that all juvenile records are supposed to be sealed, but many schools still request the information be revealed. I don't want to take chances, so I am going to give full disclosure, but I'm definitely worried.

I am concerned this will deter law schools from considering my candidacy. If anyone has experience or knowledge that pertains to this situation, I would greatly appreciate feedback.

Thank you!

OGR3

Re: bad past...

Postby OGR3 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:07 am

Disclose everything and you'll be fine.

LurkerNoMore

Postby LurkerNoMore » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:56 am

This is one of those instances where worrying doesn't get you much.

Disclose everything matter-of-factly (no justifications or explanations). Write an addendum briefly discussing where you were in your life when you got the record and where you are now. Let the chips fall where they may.

Once you get in, sit down with the schools and ask them for guidance on how to contact the state bar that you might be interested in sitting for to see if any of this might prevent you from passing the C&F examination.

Good luck.

ladodgers

Postby ladodgers » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:44 pm

thanks for the advice.

zero explanation whatsoever? just list what happened? i was thinking of saying i was young with questionable judgment and associated with the wrong people, but have since grown wiser and have become a model citizen.

please clarify...thank you.

NZA

Postby NZA » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:47 pm

ladodgers wrote:thanks for the advice.

zero explanation whatsoever? just list what happened? i was thinking of saying i was young with questionable judgment and associated with the wrong people, but have since grew wiser and have become a model citizen.

please clarify...thank you.

Talk about how you made mistakes, you were dumb and young, you accept responsibility for your actions and have since realized that you need to be a better person, etc.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. :)

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:20 pm

How old are you now ? Juvenile offenses can interfere with your C&F clearance. Try to speak with an attorney specializing in bar complaints (many of whom used to work for a state bar). Whether or not records have been sealed or expunged, you need to disclose. Ramifications of your offenses is likely to vary from state to state and, often, from case to case.

ladodgers

Postby ladodgers » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:22 pm

im 28 years old now, so these offenses occurred over a decade ago, but there are a handful of them; the volume is troubling.

McDeere

Postby McDeere » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:41 pm

Fully disclose and explain. The fact that more than 10 years have passed should help.

johnnyutah

Postby johnnyutah » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:45 pm

Who did you batter?

joebloe

Postby joebloe » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:52 pm

I would definitely check with a lawyer specializing in C&F matters in the state you want to practice regardless. If there's some reason why you might not pass the bar you need to know now. And the bar will have access to the gruesome details in the official records, which may look a lot worse than they sound in your addenda.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”