Law schools to apply for to play the schollie game

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
bigkahuna2020

Law schools to apply for to play the schollie game

Postby bigkahuna2020 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:40 pm

The list follows

BU
BC
GWU
Fordham
Cardozo
GMU
American

3.5/164/retake (1-3 pts higher, but I suppose just work with what I have now)

What schools can I apply to that are peer schools to the top 4 and also American---or close enough---that I could use to try to scramble some schollie money out of them. I know it is an outside shot, but depending on my retake this might really change up my app strategy
Last edited by bigkahuna2020 on Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kalvano

Re: Law schools to apply for to play the schollie game

Postby kalvano » Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:49 pm

The top 4 on your list are reach school as it is.

bigkahuna2020

Postby bigkahuna2020 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:56 pm

So assuming I get into one, I shall try to play the scholarship game---though my new LSAT might change it

I just want peer schools that are generous---is UIowa considered one? Seems to be ranked quite high and they sent me a fee waiver---but is it too far away to be considered one? W and M, UNC, Wisconsin---and how are they with money?

pwyoung

Postby pwyoung » Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:06 pm

Uh, I'm not sure if you understand the scholarship game... The reason schools offer scholarships is to entice the applicant to enroll and the reason they want to do that is that the applicant will serve some benefit to them (IE, raising their medians). If these schools are reaches for you, you're not serving them any benefit and I can't see them shooting you an offer.

androstan

Postby androstan » Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:12 pm

I think OP has some chance at a little money from GMU/AU with OP's current numbers. I'm not an expert on leveraging scholly money, but my limited knowledge and intuition tell me that if OP applies to one or more solid local 2nd (possibly even 3rd) tier school(s) OP could get some significant $ from them. With strong softs and 3 or 4 points on the LSAT all these lower scholarships could be used to weedle a little bit of money from Fordham. That could be used to leverage a little more money from GMU/AU. I think getting schollies to "local" places (near where OP went to UG and/or lives) helps as GMU/AU may assume OP wants to stay close to home and offer a little more to pull OP away.

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:19 pm

bigkahuna2020 wrote:The list follows

BU
BC
GWU
Fordham
Cardozo
GMU
American

What schools can I apply to that are peer schools to the top 4 and also American---or close enough---that I could use to try to scramble some schollie money out of them. I know it is an outside shot, but depending on my retake this might really change up my app strategy

If you get ~167, you have a shot at money from: WUSTL, Emory, Illinois, and Notre Dame. Scholarship negotiations are harder when you're not dealing with national schools, but still possible. You can try to use other local similarly ranked schools to try and make the most compelling argument. With that said though, the dean of admissions for Fordham told me straight up that they aren't influenced by Cardozo scholarships since Cardozo simply just has way more money than they can offer (during 1st admissions cycle I tried to use a full ride at Cardozo to get any sort of money out of Fordham).

bigkahuna2020

Postby bigkahuna2020 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:24 pm

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
bigkahuna2020 wrote:The list follows

BU
BC
GWU
Fordham
Cardozo
GMU
American

If you get ~167, you have a shot at money from: WUSTL, Emory, Illinois, and Notre Dame. Scholarship negotiations are harder when you're not dealing with national schools, but still possible. You can try to use other local similarly ranked schools to try and make the most compelling argument. With that said though, the dean of admissions for Fordham told me straight up that they aren't influenced by Cardozo scholarships since Cardozo simply just has way more money than they can offer (during 1st admissions cycle I tried to use a full ride at Cardozo to get any sort of money out of Fordham).

Good to know. Thanks man

bigkahuna2020

Postby bigkahuna2020 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:25 pm

pwyoung wrote:Uh, I'm not sure if you understand the scholarship game... The reason schools offer scholarships is to entice the applicant to enroll and the reason they want to do that is that the applicant will serve some benefit to them (IE, raising their medians). If these schools are reaches for you, you're not serving them any benefit and I can't see them shooting you an offer.

Or maybe they just love me. Can't hurt to ask.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:39 pm

Should there be a thread along the lines of the prediction thread? Where we post our numbers and people state to which schools we should / should've applied for scholarship dollars? I'd post here, but my stats are different.

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:58 pm

ahduth wrote:Should there be a thread along the lines of the prediction thread? Where we post our numbers and people state to which schools we should / should've applied for scholarship dollars? I'd post here, but my stats are different.

T-14: Just apply to the entire T14. GULC is known to be stingy though. NU likes to offer full rides to a select number of applicants. Chicago likes to spread around smaller scholarships. Michigan and UVA like 20k/yr scholarships (though they do smaller to bigger scholarships as well. If you have numbers for Harvard, you got a shot at a Hamilton from Columbia. Etc, etc.

Through ~30: WUSTL throws money at high LSAT #'s, even for splitters. Same with Illinois. Emory hands out a lot of money too. Notre Dame gives out some, they seem to target their scholarships a little bit and not base all of it on money. Fordham is poor. GWU gives out full rides to ED people, though it's binding.

Everywhere else: Keeping a lot of these scholarships start to be contingent on maintaining a certain class rank or GPA. Cardozo has a ton of money. Same with Pepperdine. (both are contingent on either rank or gpa though) SMU gives out a decent amount (SMU gives out all their money at once though and doesn't really negotiate later then though.) I don't know as much about this range of schools though.

Anyone reading this, feel free to add or point out errors in this list.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”