Honors College- Y/N ?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
BrownBears09

Re: Honors College- Y/N ?

Postby BrownBears09 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:50 am

Veyron wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:Honors programs frequently offer benefits that could make them easier than their non-honors counterparts. You might get smaller classes, reserved slots within certain classes, extra recitation/lab time with the professor, priority registration time for classes, tutors, etc. Look into what benefits this honors program will offer you in terms of helping your undergrad performance, recognizing that almost nobody will give a shit that you were in the honors college.

Actually, honors college at ASU has stricter grading.

LULZ at taking a GPA hit for the "honors" college and then getting rejected from a school you otherwise would have gotten (or gotten $ from) with .1 higher GPA. Its people like you who end up attending a "T-25" at sticker, thinking you are prestigious, and then wondering why big/midlaw won't take a 2nd look at you. You're at the point in your life where shit ain't about impressing mom and dad anymore but is rather about GETTING A JOB.

If you are really serious about being a lawyer it is NOT worth the risk. Spend the time you save on your less rigorous "regular" classes studying for the LSAT. The non Barrett kids I know who did this and did much better at the end of the day than the Barrett kids.

Do you try to sound like a douche in every post? For your own sake, I hope you don't act like that IRL.

OP: I doubt it will matter for law school, but I'd imagine employers will appreciate the soft.

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:57 am

BrownBears09 wrote:OP: I doubt it will matter for law school, but I'd imagine employers will appreciate the soft.

You think being in the honors college will matter more for employment than for law school? Really?

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:16 am

LSpleaseee wrote:
BrownBears09 wrote:OP: I doubt it will matter for law school, but I'd imagine employers will appreciate the soft.

You think being in the honors college will matter more for employment than for law school? Really?

Sure, why not. Shows they're a grinder. People who skate through are unexceptional and uninteresting.

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:13 pm

ahduth wrote:Sure, why not. Shows they're a grinder. People who skate through are unexceptional and uninteresting.

I don't really think honors college is exceptional nor is it all that interesting.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:20 pm

At one time Barrett Honors College awarded a lot of scholarships with grade stipulation requirements & the Honors College grading curve was severe by design in part, many believe, to free up scholarship money to attract more students. About three years ago, Barrett Honors College came under fire for this practice & pledged to adjust the grading curve. Many Honors Colleges & Honors Programs award much higher grades than those receive in the same non-honors course offering.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:42 pm

[/quote]

Do you try to sound like a douche in every post? For your own sake, I hope you don't act like that IRL. Yes I do, yes I do. I've become a great fan of the radical honesty movement in my old age - with hillarious results.

OP: I doubt it will matter for law school, but I'd imagine employers will appreciate the soft. says the kid who went to brown which (a) has real prestige (why, I don't know) and (b) allows legal aspirants to cherry pick the classes they get graded for (know a kid who cracked HYS just by doing this) [/quote]

In general I think that out of staters ITT have this tendancy to treat Barrett like Plan 2 honors at UT which is genuinely prestigious and attractive to in-state employers much in the same way a "lower" ivy would be. Barrett just isn't. Even from a networking pov, the most accomplished ASU alums were non Barrett - ASU is pretty notable for the Entrepenuers that it produces but the intelectual firepower goes to U of A (no relation) or out-of-state. Now, on the other hand, if you already have a scholarship like a Flynn or something, that alone is going to give you major prestige points with in-state firms.

If you can't get professor contact w-out being in Barrett you aren't that exceptional of a person. So what, you have a large section, distinguish yourself. I know (non-Barrett) people who have been citied in accademic publications, invited to participate in intimate panels with professors and practitioners, etc. These genuinely prestigious and network enhancing things are much easier to accomplish when you are in a non-Barrett class and the professors aren't expecting engagement and involvement.

BrownBears09

Postby BrownBears09 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:58 pm

Veyron wrote:Do you try to sound like a douche in every post? For your own sake, I hope you don't act like that IRL. Yes I do, yes I do. I've become a great fan of the radical honesty movement in my old age - with hillarious results.

OP: I doubt it will matter for law school, but I'd imagine employers will appreciate the soft. says the kid who went to brown which (a) has real prestige (why, I don't know) and (b) allows legal aspirants to cherry pick the classes they get graded for (know a kid who cracked HYS just by doing this)

In general I think that out of staters ITT have this tendancy to treat Barrett like Plan 2 honors at UT which is genuinely prestigious and attractive to in-state employers much in the same way a "lower" ivy would be. Barrett just isn't. Even from a networking pov, the most accomplished ASU alums were non Barrett - ASU is pretty notable for the Entrepenuers that it produces but the intelectual firepower goes to U of A (no relation) or out-of-state. Now, on the other hand, if you already have a scholarship like a Flynn or something, that alone is going to give you major prestige points with in-state firms.

If you can't get professor contact w-out being in Barrett you aren't that exceptional of a person. So what, you have a large section, distinguish yourself. I know (non-Barrett) people who have been citied in accademic publications, invited to participate in intimate panels with professors and practitioners, etc. These genuinely prestigious and network enhancing things are much easier to accomplish when you are in a non-Barrett class and the professors aren't expecting engagement and involvement.

You seem to confuse "honesty" for an absence of tact and lack of common courtesy. Now, if your comments were funny and/or witty, then maybe I could appreciate them.

Also, the argument being made is whether or not the "Honors College" will have a significant positive impact on the OP's law school cycle. Consequently, my argument was that employers will have a more positive response than law schools.

I have no idea why you addressed a non-existent issue. lol.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:00 pm

^ Issue: Employers will care
My response: They will not

Clear enough for you?

BrownBears09

Postby BrownBears09 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:03 pm

Veyron wrote:^ Issue: Employers will care more than law schools
My response: They will not care at all

Clear enough for you?

FTFY. (I can see why you're below median.) /endhijack

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:07 pm

BrownBears09 wrote:
Veyron wrote:^ Issue: Employers will care more than law schools
My response: They will not

Clear enough for you?

FTFY. (I can see why you're below median.) /endhijack

If employers don't care, they won't care more than law schools. You do know that even with a 3.9 at brown you have to do well on the LSAT to go to a decent law school.

As far as below median, thats my guess but I'm holding out hope. If it ends up being that way it will probably have more to do with an ineffective approach to studying and some very stiff competition than an inability to misunderstand basic logic.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:18 pm

You guys are adorable with your little internet fighting.

I just think it could work well with employers, because they might not know what it is, and therefore might ask about it in an interview.

Associate: "What on earth is Honors College?"
You: "It's this thing I had to work really hard to get into."
Associate: "Oh, neat."

Whereas for the law school, they're just going to say, "yay more random honors, what's the GPA."

At any rate, based on everything I've read here, I can't see it making much of a difference either way, unless you somehow can't manage to get As. In which case... study more. :D

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”