UVA (Early Decision vs Regular Decision)

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
justadude55

UVA (Early Decision vs Regular Decision)

Postby justadude55 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:05 pm

Hi,

I've been holding onto my merit fee waiver to UVA like an alcoholic holds onto a bottle, and have been waiting to bite.

I think it could take me a while to find out about some other schools, some of which, if they give me $ would be better for me than UVA at sticker (which would probably happen if I'm accepted.)

I also think I have a very low chance of getting in RD, but probably a pretty good shot ED going off of LSN.

Is it better to wait and possibly ED in Feb, or submit RD then change?

My concern is I will get rejected before I switch to ED if I submit RD.

My goals, if it matters, are the best financial situation possible (what type of law, how i can help people and be rich, what location [though I prefer some place warm] are not yet determined).

Brock2010

Re: UVA (Early Decision vs Regular Decision)

Postby Brock2010 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:14 pm

I had this same dilemma and I decided to go early. But uva is by far my first choice so much so that I was willing to give some money up. If you're looking for the best financial situation then i'd warn you not to go early.

justadude55

Postby justadude55 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:41 pm

well i wouldn't get in reg, and don't deserve $ at UVA. i'd pay sticker if some other things fall through, but won't get in RD in my guesstimation. So my Q is should I apply RD now with the intent to switch to ED in a month or wait a month?

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:53 pm

My impression was no one got in RD unless they were in state or pledged their first born to the school in a "why Virginia" essay.

justadude55

Postby justadude55 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:02 pm

yes UVA is brilliant in ensuring people who get in go, and ensuring a top 10 slot for the next 100 years.

they manage to get 170+ to apply ED, having their pick of the litter, and ensuring they will attend.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:06 pm

justadude55 wrote:yes UVA is brilliant in ensuring people who get in go, and ensuring a top 10 slot for the next 100 years.

they manage to get 170+ to apply ED, having their pick of the litter, and ensuring they will attend.

except they have to admit pretty much whatever in-state riffraff shows up with a number above median.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:12 pm

IAFG wrote:
justadude55 wrote:yes UVA is brilliant in ensuring people who get in go, and ensuring a top 10 slot for the next 100 years.

except they have to admit pretty much whatever in-state riffraff shows up with a number above median.

Yeah their whole process gave me a very weird vibe, they're like the anti-Berkeley. It certainly factored into my decision to not even bother taking them up on their fee waiver.

jd20132013

Postby jd20132013 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 6:54 pm

ahduth wrote:
IAFG wrote:

Yeah their whole process gave me a very weird vibe, they're like the anti-Berkeley. It certainly factored into my decision to not even bother taking them up on their fee waiver.

Can you expand on this more?

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:34 pm

jd20132013 wrote:
ahduth wrote:
IAFG wrote:

Can you expand on this more?

Sure, although it's all just sentiment and speculation on my part. And as a disclaimer, I'm not trying to bash UVA or anyone's decision to pursue their studies there. So... yeah.

Virginia seemed the weakest of the three options in the MVP tier before I knew anything about the school, purely because of the location. Chicago is a long way from Charlottesville in a lot of ways, and I wanted a sense that I'd be comfortable spending three years there. I never really got that level of comfort - my fault or theirs, it is what it is.

The admissions process really turned me off. The residency requirement seemed like it was going to result in a less heterogeneous class than some of the other schools. Consider this from Dean Trujilo's TLS interview:

TLS: How do you view applications from Virginia residents? Do Virginia residents receive a boost over residents of other states?

There is no particular “boost” given to residents. But residents have mathematics on their side. We receive over nine nonresident applications for every resident application – people are really shocked by this figure. Yet nonresidents get only 1.5 seats for every resident seat in the entering class – 60 percent nonresidents to 40 percent residents. I often joke that getting in as a nonresident is ridiculously difficult (for nonresidents) rather than just being plain hard (for residents).

I didn't find the joke particularly funny. The downstream impact of this is the need to ED, exceed their 75th percentile medians or by some trick write a "why UVA" statement that convinces them you want to come.

I actually had my application ready to file (sans "why UVA") when a thread about these addenda was seeing some activity. This particular comment sealed the deal for me, so to speak:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=138075&start=75#p3640365

School pride is one thing, but I wasn't signing onto a mentality or culture that sounded rather closed from every impression I had gathered. I never visited the school, so this is an obviously incomplete impression. If I had applied and been accepted, I'd have paid a visit and gotten a more complete view, but it just didn't seem like I was going to get in even with my numbers and background.

As far as the anti-Berkeley comment, Boalt seems pretty aggressive about pulling people with varied backgrounds. Understanding that the "holistic" business is another form of YP, it nevertheless appears intent on broadening the range of experiences and perspectives in the class, rather than narrowing it.

In the end, I felt I was a pretty compelling candidate in my own right, and that UVA should be interested in considering someone with my background. Instead I got the impression that Virginia wasn't really that inclined to look at my application, and they already had a higher slope to climb for me personally than some of the other schools I was considering anyhow. I'm sure everyone who goes there will enjoy it, it just didn't seem like it was going to be for me.

T6Hopeful

Postby T6Hopeful » Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:56 am

Well, I hesitate to weigh in on your situation without knowing your numbers, where else you applied, etc. Personally, I think UVA would have been a relatively sure shot for me ED, but since I'm trying to get an acceptance out of CCN, I hesitate to compromise and pay sticker for UVA knowing there could be a shot to get in at Columbia or Chicago, at which I would be paying sticker anyway. But the reason I ask about your numbers is because you do express interest in the "best financial situation possible," which could definitely be a little bit of money at a 15-17 school, depending on your numbers. It may sound a little cliche, but in the end only you can really decide whether a shot at MVP is worth sticker (i.e. how comfortable you are with being that heavily in debt, which is definitely not a joke by any means, except for the fact that the debt level someone takes on with sticker can be absurd/hilarious in its own right).

Postby 09042014 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:02 am

IAFG wrote:

And the rest is filled up with people who had no shot at any other decent school so they ED.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:35 am

T6Hopeful wrote:Well, I hesitate to weigh in on your situation without knowing your numbers, where else you applied, etc. Personally, I think UVA would have been a relatively sure shot for me ED, but since I'm trying to get an acceptance out of CCN, I hesitate to compromise and pay sticker for UVA knowing there could be a shot to get in at Columbia or Chicago, at which I would be paying sticker anyway. But the reason I ask about your numbers is because you do express interest in the "best financial situation possible," which could definitely be a little bit of money at a 15-17 school, depending on your numbers. It may sound a little cliche, but in the end only you can really decide whether a shot at MVP is worth sticker (i.e. how comfortable you are with being that heavily in debt, which is definitely not a joke by any means, except for the fact that the debt level someone takes on with sticker can be absurd/hilarious in its own right).

I'm a bit above the median on both counts for all three CCN schools, so I wasn't going to ED to UVA on that basis.

I think Desert Fox and IAFG summarized my concerns about the class composition rather concisely. I could very well be wrong but... UVA didn't really encourage me to find out otherwise.

Kabuo

Postby Kabuo » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:44 am

justadude55 wrote:Hi,

I've been holding onto my merit fee waiver to UVA like an alcoholic holds onto a bottle, and have been waiting to bite.

I think it could take me a while to find out about some other schools, some of which, if they give me $ would be better for me than UVA at sticker (which would probably happen if I'm accepted.)

I also think I have a very low chance of getting in RD, but probably a pretty good shot ED going off of LSN.

Is it better to wait and possibly ED in Feb, or submit RD then change?

My concern is I will get rejected before I switch to ED if I submit RD.

My goals, if it matters, are the best financial situation possible (what type of law, how i can help people and be rich, what location [though I prefer some place warm] are not yet determined).

I don't know your numbers, but if you're going by the ED #s on LSN, they can be misleading. Earlier in the cycle, >3.0 >171 was basically an auto admit for ED. I just got straight dinged with a 3.2/172 when I switched to ED on 12/16. I don't know if they rightly guessed that they were my backup when Michigan rolled me over, or if that would even matter since it was still a binding ED contract, but for whatever reason, I know of at least myself and one other TLSer above 3 and at or above 170 who got outright dinged.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”