Should I update LSAC with my 0.01 increase in GPA?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
Pleasye
Posts: 7959
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:22 pm

Re: Should I update LSAC with my 0.01 increase in GPA?

Postby Pleasye » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:44 pm

iwanta170 wrote:Only 3-5 business days after new years? Wow that's much faster than I thought it would be. My UG institution sent my updated transcript late last week so hopefully my transcript will be processed by Jan 7. I guess I won't say anything to the schools and just hope that my LSAT score and transcript are sent to the schools around the same time

I think you will be fine. Many schools are on break also so they aren't going to review your app as SOON as they get your score. I know that sucks in the sense that you'll have to wait a little longer but it'll be good that they're most likely going to review your complete app :)

User avatar
iwanta170
Posts: 445
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:27 pm

Re: Should I update LSAC with my 0.01 increase in GPA?

Postby iwanta170 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:44 pm

r6_philly wrote:
iwanta170 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:Agree on not worth being reviewed later. Transcript update should still work fairly fast. I think the biggest delay last year for me was my UG sending it. Took 3-5 business days after having it sent after new year's.

Only 3-5 business days after new years? Wow that's much faster than I thought it would be. My UG institution sent my updated transcript late last week so hopefully my transcript will be processed by Jan 7. I guess I won't say anything to the schools and just hope that my LSAT score and transcript are sent to the schools around the same time


Since I span 2 cycles, I have updated over 5 times. The longest took about a week after a confirmed mailing (my school had a online status that shows when the transcript was actually mailed, not requested/printed). I am also in PA so the mail gets to LSAC next day. So it may take a little while longer for you if you are not close to Philly.

That's good to know. I was worried it wouldn't be processed for weeks. Once LSAC has processed my transcript, do you advise I email the schools I applied to and let them know new grades are on the way, or just say nothing?

User avatar
Pleasye
Posts: 7959
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:22 pm

Re: Should I update LSAC with my 0.01 increase in GPA?

Postby Pleasye » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:45 pm

r6_philly wrote:Since I span 2 cycles, I have updated over 5 times. The longest took about a week after a confirmed mailing (my school had a online status that shows when the transcript was actually mailed, not requested/printed). I am also in PA so the mail gets to LSAC next day. So it may take a little while longer for you if you are not close to Philly.

I'm in CA and my transcripts took like a week and a half from when I requested them from my school!

ETA: Just say nothing, they will receive an updated LSAC report.

User avatar
Lawquacious
Posts: 2037
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:36 am

Re: Should I update LSAC with my 0.01 increase in GPA?

Postby Lawquacious » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:53 pm

JusticeHarlan wrote:
Lawquacious wrote:Not that I disagree with the consistent advice on this thread to go ahead an update, but I have a hard time seeing that it would really matter one way or another. You already have an amazing GPA and I just don't see a tenth of a point as making any difference that is likely to be significant. On the other hand, in what I see as the unlikely event that you will be directly compared with someone who is essentially a numbers twin and the fraction of a point is used by the Adcomm to make the decision, then clearly it could be very important to have done so.

I think the main benefit to updating isn't the additional .01 on the GPA, its the extra semester of good grades. It's not about gaining an advantage over someone with a 3.93 by having a 3.94, its about gaining an advantage over someone who didn't update their transcripts and makes the adcoms wonder if they didn't because their grades dropped. No one is arguing its a huge boost, but even a small advantage can be the difference between an admit and a waitlist, why not try to get something at the margins over other applicants?


Yeah I imagine the fact that the GPA average was extended across the entire UG history could also be significant (in addition to the potential significance of the small boost). I really wasn't arguing the advice being given to update- I think maybe just trying to voice why someone might ask this in the first place. I think it would be reasonable to agree re: OP scenario that the chances of the update making any actual difference in his or her cycle is slim, but for the reasons cited (i.e. easy to do so, free, no reason not to) and the fact that it COULD in fact make a difference, I'd agree update is definitely TCR.

User avatar
ahduth
Posts: 2468
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:55 am

Re: Should I update LSAC with my 0.01 increase in GPA?

Postby ahduth » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:58 pm

I fail to see how this could make a difference to the adcom unless the OP took some terribly interesting class that will stand out on the transcript. A 0.01 increase in GPA? Am I missing something, or isn't that so microscopic as to be completely irrelevant? Maybe I've been out of school too long.

User avatar
JusticeHarlan
Posts: 1434
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:56 pm

Re: Should I update LSAC with my 0.01 increase in GPA?

Postby JusticeHarlan » Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:22 pm

ahduth wrote:I fail to see how this could make a difference to the adcom unless the OP took some terribly interesting class that will stand out on the transcript. A 0.01 increase in GPA? Am I missing something, or isn't that so microscopic as to be completely irrelevant? Maybe I've been out of school too long.


JusticeHarlan wrote:I think the main benefit to updating isn't the additional .01 on the GPA, its the extra semester of good grades. It's not about gaining an advantage over someone with a 3.93 by having a 3.94, its about gaining an advantage over someone who didn't update their transcripts and makes the adcoms wonder if they didn't because their grades dropped. No one is arguing its a huge boost, but even a small advantage can be the difference between an admit and a waitlist, why not try to get something at the margins over other applicants?

User avatar
Pleasye
Posts: 7959
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:22 pm

Re: Should I update LSAC with my 0.01 increase in GPA?

Postby Pleasye » Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:28 pm

JusticeHarlan wrote:
ahduth wrote:I fail to see how this could make a difference to the adcom unless the OP took some terribly interesting class that will stand out on the transcript. A 0.01 increase in GPA? Am I missing something, or isn't that so microscopic as to be completely irrelevant? Maybe I've been out of school too long.


JusticeHarlan wrote:I think the main benefit to updating isn't the additional .01 on the GPA, its the extra semester of good grades. It's not about gaining an advantage over someone with a 3.93 by having a 3.94, its about gaining an advantage over someone who didn't update their transcripts and makes the adcoms wonder if they didn't because their grades dropped. No one is arguing its a huge boost, but even a small advantage can be the difference between an admit and a waitlist, why not try to get something at the margins over other applicants?


LSpleaseee wrote:It's not that it's going to help it's that there is NO reason not to.

User avatar
JusticeHarlan
Posts: 1434
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:56 pm

Re: Should I update LSAC with my 0.01 increase in GPA?

Postby JusticeHarlan » Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:44 pm

LSpleaseee wrote:It's not that it's going to help it's that there is NO reason not to.

I disagree with saying it won't help. I think adcoms would wonder why you didn't update.

Put another way, wait a month or so and see how many threads pop up with nervous applicants who are waiting on decisions saying "even though my GPA dropped in the fall, should I update?" You think adcoms don't realize this happens to a lot of people? I think its a plus for your app to show them you maintained your stellar GPA for another semester.

User avatar
ahduth
Posts: 2468
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:55 am

Re: Should I update LSAC with my 0.01 increase in GPA?

Postby ahduth » Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:49 pm

LSpleaseee wrote:
JusticeHarlan wrote:
ahduth wrote:I fail to see how this could make a difference to the adcom unless the OP took some terribly interesting class that will stand out on the transcript. A 0.01 increase in GPA? Am I missing something, or isn't that so microscopic as to be completely irrelevant? Maybe I've been out of school too long.


JusticeHarlan wrote:I think the main benefit to updating isn't the additional .01 on the GPA, its the extra semester of good grades. It's not about gaining an advantage over someone with a 3.93 by having a 3.94, its about gaining an advantage over someone who didn't update their transcripts and makes the adcoms wonder if they didn't because their grades dropped. No one is arguing its a huge boost, but even a small advantage can be the difference between an admit and a waitlist, why not try to get something at the margins over other applicants?


LSpleaseee wrote:It's not that it's going to help it's that there is NO reason not to.


Okay for the no reason not to, other than it's annoying paperwork. But are the adcoms really sitting there comparing two 3.93 undergrads and saying, "A ha! This one completed an extra semester of work! We have more confidence in their number now." It's not like we're talking about actual real world experience or something.

I simply find it highly questionable an adcom is really going to care very much. But sure, it's not going to hurt you, and if it makes you feel better... go for it.

User avatar
Pleasye
Posts: 7959
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:22 pm

Re: Should I update LSAC with my 0.01 increase in GPA?

Postby Pleasye » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:42 pm

JusticeHarlan wrote:
LSpleaseee wrote:It's not that it's going to help it's that there is NO reason not to.

I disagree with saying it won't help. I think adcoms would wonder why you didn't update.

Put another way, wait a month or so and see how many threads pop up with nervous applicants who are waiting on decisions saying "even though my GPA dropped in the fall, should I update?" You think adcoms don't realize this happens to a lot of people? I think its a plus for your app to show them you maintained your stellar GPA for another semester.

I didn't say that updating is not going to help. I said it's not that updating is going to help.

noob
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:45 pm

Re: Should I update LSAC with my 0.01 increase in GPA?

Postby noob » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:51 pm

Lame question: how do I see my LSAC gpa?

Also, is there a huge rush for me to get an update in before the end of the break, or could I do it in a week and a half when I get back to school?

Thanks all.

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: Should I update LSAC with my 0.01 increase in GPA?

Postby Knock » Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:02 pm

noob wrote:Lame question: how do I see my LSAC gpa?

Also, is there a huge rush for me to get an update in before the end of the break, or could I do it in a week and a half when I get back to school?

Thanks all.


There's an academic summary report on your transcript page of your LSAC site. It's called cumulative gpa or something similar. I'd get it done asap, personally; just mail it in. But a week and a half isn't going to break you or anything.

noob
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:45 pm

Re: Should I update LSAC with my 0.01 increase in GPA?

Postby noob » Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:11 am

Thanks Knock. :)

User avatar
Pleasye
Posts: 7959
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:22 pm

Re: Should I update LSAC with my 0.01 increase in GPA?

Postby Pleasye » Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:26 pm

noob wrote:Lame question: how do I see my LSAC gpa?

Also, is there a huge rush for me to get an update in before the end of the break, or could I do it in a week and a half when I get back to school?

Thanks all.

Do it now. You can usually request that they be sent online so you don't even have to leave the house (that's how my school did it).

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: Should I update LSAC with my 0.01 increase in GPA?

Postby Knock » Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:30 pm

LSpleaseee wrote:
noob wrote:Lame question: how do I see my LSAC gpa?

Also, is there a huge rush for me to get an update in before the end of the break, or could I do it in a week and a half when I get back to school?

Thanks all.

Do it now. You can usually request that they be sent online so you don't even have to leave the house (that's how my school did it).


At my school you had to mail/fax it in, so I just snail mailed it.

hjag
Posts: 66
Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:01 pm

Re: Should I update LSAC with my 0.01 increase in GPA?

Postby hjag » Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:03 am

I'm in the same situation as you (all A's fall semester), and I decided to hold off applications for a bit just to update my transcript.

This is already relatively late in the cycle, so I figured anything that could help my application (even though it only boosted my cum GPA by 0.02) would be necessary. With a GPA like yours, I'm assuming you're aiming for a very competitive law school, so every tiny bit will count.

User avatar
Lawquacious
Posts: 2037
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:36 am

Re: Should I update LSAC with my 0.01 increase in GPA?

Postby Lawquacious » Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:11 am

LSpleaseee wrote:I didn't say that updating is not going to help. I said it's not that updating is going to help.


In other words, updating is not necessarily sufficient to help, but it is also not necessarily insufficient? ;)

User avatar
Rikkugrrl
Posts: 210
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:30 pm

Re: Should I update LSAC with my 0.01 increase in GPA?

Postby Rikkugrrl » Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:37 pm

Stupid question perhaps given the holiday season, but my school sent me a notice that my new transcript with my grades had been sent on December 22nd, and I haven't heard a peep from LSAC. Is it too early to send them an email?

User avatar
Pleasye
Posts: 7959
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:22 pm

Re: Should I update LSAC with my 0.01 increase in GPA?

Postby Pleasye » Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:00 pm

Rikkugrrl wrote:Stupid question perhaps given the holiday season, but my school sent me a notice that my new transcript with my grades had been sent on December 22nd, and I haven't heard a peep from LSAC. Is it too early to send them an email?

Aren't they closed from Christmas to sometime after New Years?

User avatar
Rikkugrrl
Posts: 210
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:30 pm

Re: Should I update LSAC with my 0.01 increase in GPA?

Postby Rikkugrrl » Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:50 pm

Ah, that would explain it. I didn't know. Thanks!

User avatar
Pleasye
Posts: 7959
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:22 pm

Re: Should I update LSAC with my 0.01 increase in GPA?

Postby Pleasye » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:26 am

Rikkugrrl wrote:Ah, that would explain it. I didn't know. Thanks!

I'm pretty sure that's why nothing has happened yet. Hopefully your transcript will be processed as soon as they open again.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MSNbot Media, Pozzo and 7 guests