Should I update LSAC with my 0.01 increase in GPA?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
godofcoffee

Should I update LSAC with my 0.01 increase in GPA?

Postby godofcoffee » Sat Dec 25, 2010 2:21 pm

Context: my GPA is a 3.93 (3.94 after my Fall grades), and I've applied everywhere except for Yale so far. I got all As in the Fall. I'm wondering whether it's worth the delay/effort to amend to give them just one term of additional information. Or will it look weird if my Fall grades AREN'T on there?

gbpackerbacker

Re: Should I update LSAC with my 0.01 increase in GPA?

Postby gbpackerbacker » Sat Dec 25, 2010 2:43 pm

I am wondering this too.

Ludacrispat26

Postby Ludacrispat26 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 2:47 pm

Yeah, of course do it. It shows your fall grades (which they want anyway), shows you got all A's (which is impressive), and increases your GPA to an absurdly high level. It's worth the slight effort by a lot.

well-hello-there

Postby well-hello-there » Sat Dec 25, 2010 2:53 pm

Ludacrispat26 wrote:Yeah, of course do it. It shows your fall grades (which they want anyway), shows you got all A's (which is impressive), and increases your GPA to an absurdly high level. It's worth the slight effort by a lot.
+1 You should also send an updated copy to the ONE professor who gave you an A-......thanks buddy......hope you get coal for christmas

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Sat Dec 25, 2010 2:58 pm

Definitely update the transcript. I'm not sure it will even delay your applications.

Knock

Postby Knock » Sat Dec 25, 2010 5:38 pm

Ludacrispat26 wrote:Yeah, of course do it. It shows your fall grades (which they want anyway), shows you got all A's (which is impressive), and increases your GPA to an absurdly high level. It's worth the slight effort by a lot.

Yeah, I completely agree. Update your transcript. I got all A's Fall Quarter and it only boosted me .02, and I sent in the transcript request for my school to send it to LSAC as quick as I could :lol:.

swfangirl

Postby swfangirl » Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:32 am

Update your transcript...I'm under the impression that it won't cause a delay.

Postby 005618502 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:43 am

Why would you not do it? Yale isnt rolling anyways and the rest already have everything.

T6Hopeful

Postby T6Hopeful » Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:02 am

Yes, update... there's no reason not to. Most, if not all schools, will require you to submit your final transcript anyway, and if a fall grades request should happen to pop up for whatever reason, it would expedite the process to be able to reply "already did" as opposed to "sure, I'm on it." It would also be a nice confirmation to whatever schools are wondering if you'll keep that GPA up through senior year. That said, congrats on your great GPA!

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:10 am

Not that I disagree with the consistent advice on this thread to go ahead an update, but I have a hard time seeing that it would really matter one way or another. You already have an amazing GPA and I just don't see a tenth of a point as making any difference that is likely to be significant. On the other hand, in what I see as the unlikely event that you will be directly compared with someone who is essentially a numbers twin and the fraction of a point is used by the Adcomm to make the decision, then clearly it could be very important to have done so.

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:34 am

Lawquacious wrote:Not that I disagree with the consistent advice on this thread to go ahead an update, but I have a hard time seeing that it would really matter one way or another. You already have an amazing GPA and I just don't see a tenth of a point as making any difference that is likely to be significant. On the other hand, in what I see as the unlikely event that you will be directly compared with someone who is essentially a numbers twin and the fraction of a point is used by the Adcomm to make the decision, then clearly it could be very important to have done so.

It's not that it's going to help it's that there is NO reason not to.

JusticeHarlan

Postby JusticeHarlan » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:40 am

Lawquacious wrote:Not that I disagree with the consistent advice on this thread to go ahead an update, but I have a hard time seeing that it would really matter one way or another. You already have an amazing GPA and I just don't see a tenth of a point as making any difference that is likely to be significant. On the other hand, in what I see as the unlikely event that you will be directly compared with someone who is essentially a numbers twin and the fraction of a point is used by the Adcomm to make the decision, then clearly it could be very important to have done so.

I think the main benefit to updating isn't the additional .01 on the GPA, its the extra semester of good grades. It's not about gaining an advantage over someone with a 3.93 by having a 3.94, its about gaining an advantage over someone who didn't update their transcripts and makes the adcoms wonder if they didn't because their grades dropped. No one is arguing its a huge boost, but even a small advantage can be the difference between an admit and a waitlist, why not try to get something at the margins over other applicants?

Rikkugrrl

Postby Rikkugrrl » Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:06 pm

well-hello-there wrote:
+1 You should also send an updated copy to the ONE professor who gave you an A-......thanks buddy......hope you get coal for christmas

+1. Straight As except for one A- happened to me too. Still pretty stoked because it boosts my chances for Wake a little more, but a 4.0 would have looked a lot more impressive.

iwanta170

Postby iwanta170 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:53 pm

This semester I got all A's, raised by GPA .02, and a few days ago sent in an updated transcript to LSAC. Is it worth it emailing law schools to hold my application until they receive my transcript? A bunch of schools I applied to will put me as complete as soon as they receive my December LSAT score

Haliburton

Postby Haliburton » Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:29 pm

I got two As and two A-s this semester, lowering my gpa from 3.91 to 3.90. But it raised my LSAC gpa from 3.94 to 3.96. Would it look bad to send in a new transcript because of the drop in overall UGPA? Also, do they charge you a fee to update your transcript?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:33 pm

Haliburton wrote:I got two As and two A-s this semester, lowering my gpa from 3.91 to 3.90. But it raised my LSAC gpa from 3.94 to 3.96. Would it look bad to send in a new transcript because of the drop in overall UGPA? Also, do they charge you a fee to update your transcript?

LSAC update is free. Your school may charge you for sending a transcript. Your LSAC GPA would now be at 75% for HY, so I would update.

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:11 pm

iwanta170 wrote:This semester I got all A's, raised by GPA .02, and a few days ago sent in an updated transcript to LSAC. Is it worth it emailing law schools to hold my application until they receive my transcript? A bunch of schools I applied to will put me as complete as soon as they receive my December LSAT score

I wouldn't ask them to hold your app for such a small GPA boost. Depending on when you submitted your app they may not even review until the transcript is there anyway.

darkgreenfruit

Postby darkgreenfruit » Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:15 pm

Haliburton wrote:I got two As and two A-s this semester, lowering my gpa from 3.91 to 3.90. But it raised my LSAC gpa from 3.94 to 3.96. Would it look bad to send in a new transcript because of the drop in overall UGPA? Also, do they charge you a fee to update your transcript?

Wait, how does a GPA lowered actually raise LSAC GPA? I assumed that any drop in GPA would be reflected on the LSAC GPA too?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:28 pm

darkgreenfruit wrote:

Wait, how does a GPA lowered actually raise LSAC GPA? I assumed that any drop in GPA would be reflected on the LSAC GPA too?

Because he most likely has a B from a non-major/degree course as well so the extra credits in A/A- actually help to offset that B and thus raising the overall GPA while lowering the major/degree one.

iwanta170

Postby iwanta170 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:39 pm

LSpleaseee wrote:
iwanta170 wrote:This semester I got all A's, raised by GPA .02, and a few days ago sent in an updated transcript to LSAC. Is it worth it emailing law schools to hold my application until they receive my transcript? A bunch of schools I applied to will put me as complete as soon as they receive my December LSAT score

I wouldn't ask them to hold your app for such a small GPA boost. Depending on when you submitted your app they may not even review until the transcript is there anyway.

I submitted back on Nov 1 so I'm assuming that most of the schools I applied to will review my application pretty soon after they get my December LSAT. Does that change anything?

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:03 pm

iwanta170 wrote:I submitted back on Nov 1 so I'm assuming that most of the schools I applied to will review my application pretty soon after they get my December LSAT. Does that change anything?

I don't think it's worth getting reviewed later for a small boost unless it puts you over some threshold and will really help your chances (over 75th GPA or something?). Maybe someone else thinks differently. Also, transcripts generally get there really quickly IME although that might be different now that a lot of people are trying to update transcripts.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:05 pm

LSpleaseee wrote:
iwanta170 wrote:I submitted back on Nov 1 so I'm assuming that most of the schools I applied to will review my application pretty soon after they get my December LSAT. Does that change anything?

I don't think it's worth getting reviewed later for a small boost unless it puts you over some threshold and will really help your chances (over 75th GPA or something?). Maybe someone else thinks differently. Also, transcripts generally get there really quickly IME although that might be different now that a lot of people are trying to update transcripts.

Agree on not worth being reviewed later. Transcript update should still work fairly fast. I think the biggest delay last year for me was my UG sending it. Took 3-5 business days after having it sent after new year's.

BeachedBrit

Postby BeachedBrit » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:11 pm

well-hello-there wrote:

TITCR

iwanta170

Postby iwanta170 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:37 pm

r6_philly wrote:Agree on not worth being reviewed later. Transcript update should still work fairly fast. I think the biggest delay last year for me was my UG sending it. Took 3-5 business days after having it sent after new year's.

Only 3-5 business days after new years? Wow that's much faster than I thought it would be. My UG institution sent my updated transcript late last week so hopefully my transcript will be processed by Jan 7. I guess I won't say anything to the schools and just hope that my LSAT score and transcript are sent to the schools around the same time

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:43 pm

iwanta170 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:Agree on not worth being reviewed later. Transcript update should still work fairly fast. I think the biggest delay last year for me was my UG sending it. Took 3-5 business days after having it sent after new year's.

Only 3-5 business days after new years? Wow that's much faster than I thought it would be. My UG institution sent my updated transcript late last week so hopefully my transcript will be processed by Jan 7. I guess I won't say anything to the schools and just hope that my LSAT score and transcript are sent to the schools around the same time

Since I span 2 cycles, I have updated over 5 times. The longest took about a week after a confirmed mailing (my school had a online status that shows when the transcript was actually mailed, not requested/printed). I am also in PA so the mail gets to LSAC next day. So it may take a little while longer for you if you are not close to Philly.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”