Addendum (GPA/Disability/Age) Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
gimmybear

New

Addendum (GPA/Disability/Age)

Post by gimmybear » Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:52 pm

So I am in a bit of a pickle. My GPA at my current school is about 3.65, and by the time I apply to law school it will be almost 3.8, and my LSAT scores are near-pefect. However, I completed all the high school course work a year early and my high school wouldn't let me do another year because I had completed all the graduation requirements, so I started taking college classes when I was sixteen, went to a UC for summer classes, and then started my freshman year of college at 17 at a college I hated. My transcripts from those events dampens my LSAC gpa dismally, even if I do really well in all of my classes between now and applying, it will still be about a 3.38. I also was diagnosed with ADD about 8 months ago, and since then (adderall life saver) my grades have been all A's, in the honors college, deans list with distinction. So I obviously have an upward trend (easily 1.0 higher from last semester at old school and first semester at new school), obviously there is a difference between the classes I took when I was younger than 18 and the classes I took afterwards, and my diagnosis obviously boosted my grades by quite a bit. Should I mention the age thing in an addendum, I was really young, and like I said going to a school I hated. It sounds like an excuse when I say it, but it really explains the difference in grades from old to new school. Also, I'm not sure whether mentioning my stupid youth is a good idea, since I'm applying for law school at 20, and I'm not sure how they'll feel about a younger student. Should I focus it more on the diagnosis? With great LSAT scores and an addendum, should I bother applying to HSY? Give me advice wise ones! :D

BriaTharen

Silver

Re: Addendum (GPA/Disability/Age)

Post by BriaTharen » Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:57 pm

While the ADD diagnosis may be worth mentioning, I wouldn't focus on it. ADD is one of the most over-diagnosed disabilities in the country.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:49 pm

I cannot offer much advice about your proposed addendum other than to suggest that you practice writing your addendum in a clearer & more concise fashion if you want to attend Harvard, Yale or Stanford law schools. Congratulations on your LSAT score !

P.S. I don't know much about ADD. Was this condition present when you earned stellar grades in high school ? Or was it an "adult onset" condition ?

gimmybear

New

Post by gimmybear » Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:12 pm

Yeah, this isn't my addendum, just what I should be addressing. Mostly, I'm just wondering whether it's a good idea to talk about my young stupidity, considering that it means that they'll probably notice that I'm still pretty young to be applying for law school (I'm not quite sure if that's good or bad). My ADD was actually pretty noticeable in high school, I had mediocre grades then too (3.46 graduating about). In that regard, I think the ADD thing is pretty defendable, because it hasn't been up and down, it's been drastic change, but Bria is right that it's not unusual for student's to claim. So I'm more asking whether I should focus around young starting college, and put ADD on as something that maybe was part of it, or should I just stick to showing drastic medication benefits, and say that being in a bad college situation at a young age caused further problems, or should I not mention one of the two at all.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:04 pm

Mention it in a brief statement that simply notes when you were diagnosed & that the medication seems to be working well as evidenced by your grades. Be brief.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kkklick

Silver

Post by kkklick » Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:23 pm

Mention it briefly, law schools don't like excuses.

dextermorgan

Silver

Post by dextermorgan » Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:57 pm

So it will be a 3.38 with a strong upward trend? I don't care how you explain it, that's how the adcomms will see it.

justadude55

Silver

Post by justadude55 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 2:22 am

maybe your UG can remove the prior school from the transcript. i don't know if this violates anything, but if you listed all the schools you attended on the app like you're asked to, and submitted a transcript with only your school's grades, you'd be following all the rules i know from the admission counsel.

4for44

Bronze

Post by 4for44 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 2:25 am

justadude55 wrote:maybe your UG can remove the prior school from the transcript. i don't know if this violates anything, but if you listed all the schools you attended on the app like you're asked to, and submitted a transcript with only your school's grades, you'd be following all the rules i know from the admission counsel.
No... Must provide LSAC with transcripts from every institution attended...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

justadude55

Silver

Post by justadude55 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 2:27 am

i had an issue with LSAC cause one program i did in HS didnt give grades and my Apps were incomplete everywhere at the beginning. they suggested i have my school remove it, and resubmit a transcript.

Na_Swatch

Bronze

Post by Na_Swatch » Sat Dec 25, 2010 2:44 am

justadude55 wrote:i had an issue with LSAC cause one program i did in HS didnt give grades and my Apps were incomplete everywhere at the beginning. they suggested i have my school remove it, and resubmit a transcript.
The difference is that your HS didnt have grades for it. If you took college classes that had a grade, LSAC requires you to submit the transcript no matter what time you took it.

joebloe

Bronze

Post by joebloe » Sat Dec 25, 2010 4:27 am

A thought to consider: adcomms may well know what Adderall is. Abuse of it and similar drugs is extremely common and has been extremely common on college campuses for decades. An addendum saying that your grades went up because you started taking Adderall essentially translates to, "I started taking amphetamines and my grades went, like, way up, man."

Disclaimer: I'm not trying to give you shit about ADHD. I'm assuming your diagnosis is proper and you have supporting documentation.

Ragged

Silver

Post by Ragged » Sat Dec 25, 2010 4:29 am

gimmybear wrote:So I am in a bit of a pickle. My GPA at my current school is about 3.65, and by the time I apply to law school it will be almost 3.8, and my LSAT scores are near-pefect. However, I completed all the high school course work a year early and my high school wouldn't let me do another year because I had completed all the graduation requirements, so I started taking college classes when I was sixteen, went to a UC for summer classes, and then started my freshman year of college at 17 at a college I hated. My transcripts from those events dampens my LSAC gpa dismally, even if I do really well in all of my classes between now and applying, it will still be about a 3.38. I also was diagnosed with ADD about 8 months ago, and since then (adderall life saver) my grades have been all A's, in the honors college, deans list with distinction. So I obviously have an upward trend (easily 1.0 higher from last semester at old school and first semester at new school), obviously there is a difference between the classes I took when I was younger than 18 and the classes I took afterwards, and my diagnosis obviously boosted my grades by quite a bit. Should I mention the age thing in an addendum, I was really young, and like I said going to a school I hated. It sounds like an excuse when I say it, but it really explains the difference in grades from old to new school. Also, I'm not sure whether mentioning my stupid youth is a good idea, since I'm applying for law school at 20, and I'm not sure how they'll feel about a younger student. Should I focus it more on the diagnosis? With great LSAT scores and an addendum, should I bother applying to HSY? Give me advice wise ones! :D
No, unless URM.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

justadude55

Silver

Post by justadude55 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:05 pm

joebloe wrote:A thought to consider: adcomms may well know what Adderall is. Abuse of it and similar drugs is extremely common and has been extremely common on college campuses for decades. An addendum saying that your grades went up because you started taking Adderall essentially translates to, "I started taking amphetamines and my grades went, like, way up, man."

Disclaimer: I'm not trying to give you shit about ADHD. I'm assuming your diagnosis is proper and you have supporting documentation.
that's ridiculous. if he needed the meds and has a prescription, adcoms won't think this.

i think ADHD is like any psychological disorder or physical disability....nobody cares as long as it does not influence your work so if your grades are now high, you should absolutely include that addendum.

joebloe

Bronze

Post by joebloe » Sat Dec 25, 2010 2:34 pm

justadude55 wrote:
joebloe wrote:A thought to consider: adcomms may well know what Adderall is. Abuse of it and similar drugs is extremely common and has been extremely common on college campuses for decades. An addendum saying that your grades went up because you started taking Adderall essentially translates to, "I started taking amphetamines and my grades went, like, way up, man."

that's ridiculous. if he needed the meds and has a prescription, adcoms won't think this.

i think ADHD is like any psychological disorder or physical disability....nobody cares as long as it does not influence your work so if your grades are now high, you should absolutely include that addendum.
Stating that you're chronically taking a drug with a very high potential for abuse does not paint a pretty picture. I'm not saying OP shouldn't write an addendum, but there are definitely better ways of wording it.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”