Revealing Acceptance to Parents, S.O., etc. Best/ Worst

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
4for44
Posts: 209
Joined: Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:05 pm

Revealing Acceptance to Parents, S.O., etc. Best/ Worst

Postby 4for44 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:25 pm

So I thought it would be great to start a thread about revealing that you got into (your top choice) Law school to your parents, significant others, etc.

Give us your best and worst reveal stories!

I'll Start: I was admitted into HLS early December, but waited til yesterday to tell the parents. Gave them "an early xmas present" (because I couldn't wait haha), of Harvard Mom and Harvard Dad Shirts (credit to Vanwinkle for Idea). I had been telling them I wouldn't know for a few months so when my mom opened it, she gave me a look like well this seems a bit presumptuous. I then said, "I got in!" She screamed, my dad said "YOU GOT IN!?!?!" and now my mom wont take off the shirt :)

Alright go!

User avatar
ihp12
Posts: 247
Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:33 pm

Re: Revealing Acceptance to Parents, S.O., etc. Best/ Worst

Postby ihp12 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:45 pm

Mine wasn't really the method of notification but the timing.

My grandma had a really bad fall and passed away after a week in the hospital. My family was real torn up about it. After getting home from her funeral, I checked my email and found out that I had gotten into a T-20, which is basicly my top realistic choice. I printed out the acceptance email and left it on her grave.

User avatar
iiibbystar
Posts: 67
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:59 am

Re: Revealing Acceptance to Parents, S.O., etc. Best/ Worst

Postby iiibbystar » Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:04 pm

ihp12 wrote:Mine wasn't really the method of notification but the timing.

My grandma had a really bad fall and passed away after a week in the hospital. My family was real torn up about it. After getting home from her funeral, I checked my email and found out that I had gotten into a T-20, which is basicly my top realistic choice. I printed out the acceptance email and left it on her grave.



AWWW...that's sweet, but almost bittersweet. I'm sorry for your loss! But, congratulations for your accomplishments. I'm sure your grandma would be proud. :)

User avatar
arism87
Posts: 1311
Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:46 pm

Re: Revealing Acceptance to Parents, S.O., etc. Best/ Worst

Postby arism87 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:10 pm

Aw, I love these!

My parents couldn't care less. They are like.. so? You already got into (school closest to home). It can't be better than that, right?

Sigh.

dakatz
Posts: 2460
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:19 pm

Re: Revealing Acceptance to Parents, S.O., etc. Best/ Worst

Postby dakatz » Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:25 pm

My parents try not to make a big deal out of it. When I told them I got into Chicago, they said good job, gave me a pat on the back. It isn't that they weren't happy for me, but they knew of the cost of the very high reach schools and knew that they weren't realistic options, so they probably just didn't want to get my hopes up about going there by getting all excited.

User avatar
Lawquacious
Posts: 2037
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:36 am

Re: Revealing Acceptance to Parents, S.O., etc. Best/ Worst

Postby Lawquacious » Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:32 pm

dakatz wrote:My parents try not to make a big deal out of it. When I told them I got into Chicago, they said good job, gave me a pat on the back. It isn't that they weren't happy for me, but they knew of the cost of the very high reach schools and knew that they weren't realistic options, so they probably just didn't want to get my hopes up about going there by getting all excited.


So you're not going to Chicago because of the cost, or am I missing something? Congrats BTW!

dakatz
Posts: 2460
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:19 pm

Re: Revealing Acceptance to Parents, S.O., etc. Best/ Worst

Postby dakatz » Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:38 pm

Lawquacious wrote:
dakatz wrote:My parents try not to make a big deal out of it. When I told them I got into Chicago, they said good job, gave me a pat on the back. It isn't that they weren't happy for me, but they knew of the cost of the very high reach schools and knew that they weren't realistic options, so they probably just didn't want to get my hopes up about going there by getting all excited.


So you're not going to Chicago because of the cost, or am I missing something? Congrats BTW!


Oh yeah this was from last year. Sorry I forgot to mention that. I knew I wasn't going to go into 200K of debt for law school from the very beginning. Thats why I was hoping and praying for NYU or Columbia to say yes, since I live close to NYC and could avoid the cost of living in the city. But the only real top school I got into was Chicago, which was pretty much the only unrealistic option of the above 3. My parents were much more excited when I informed them of acceptances/scholarships from my realistic options.

User avatar
tttlllsss
Posts: 451
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:16 pm

Re: Revealing Acceptance to Parents, S.O., etc. Best/ Worst

Postby tttlllsss » Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:57 am

dakatz wrote:
Lawquacious wrote:
dakatz wrote:My parents try not to make a big deal out of it. When I told them I got into Chicago, they said good job, gave me a pat on the back. It isn't that they weren't happy for me, but they knew of the cost of the very high reach schools and knew that they weren't realistic options, so they probably just didn't want to get my hopes up about going there by getting all excited.


So you're not going to Chicago because of the cost, or am I missing something? Congrats BTW!


Oh yeah this was from last year. Sorry I forgot to mention that. I knew I wasn't going to go into 200K of debt for law school from the very beginning. Thats why I was hoping and praying for NYU or Columbia to say yes, since I live close to NYC and could avoid the cost of living in the city. But the only real top school I got into was Chicago, which was pretty much the only unrealistic option of the above 3. My parents were much more excited when I informed them of acceptances/scholarships from my realistic options.


Where'd you end up?

User avatar
Mike12188
Posts: 792
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:07 am

Re: Revealing Acceptance to Parents, S.O., etc. Best/ Worst

Postby Mike12188 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:28 am

I told my parents I got into GTown and they said thats good but its not as good as Penn though. They only know this because I ED'd to Penn and told them it was my top choice. My dad was under the impression I wanted to go to Penn State until a couple weeks ago until he read in the 'Post' that Penn had the best career prospects according to the Princeton review. He called me and asked why I didn't want to go there. :|


thekid001
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed May 13, 2009 11:43 am

Re: Revealing Acceptance to Parents, S.O., etc. Best/ Worst

Postby thekid001 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 3:53 pm

I may have went a little overboard, but I am the first person in my family to go to college. At many times, it seemed like I would not graduate college, and now I have been been accepted to law school! Out of all people, I thought that my parents would be most excited for me, so I decided to suprise them with a party at our house.

At our house, I threw a small party that was supposed to be a Christmas party with most of our relatives and family friends.
They walked in, and said "hello" to everyone and generally seemed to be enjoying themselves. I told my dad, " hey I've have got to show you something." He looked at me quizically, and out of my back pocket, I pulled out a letter that said I had been accepted to Thomas Cooley School of Law. I could tell my mom and dad were in a little disbelief at reading the letter, but they soon understood what it meant. I had done it! They congratulated me, and my dad held a triumphant smile on his face, while my mom cried a little bit.
My dad never stopped smiling, and I could just tell how proud he was of me. The next day he bought a bumper sticker from Cooley Law School online, and said he should be able to put in on his car in a few days. I just told them, but their reaction has been priceless and treasurable.

User avatar
Drake014
Posts: 886
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:22 pm

Re: Revealing Acceptance to Parents, S.O., etc. Best/ Worst

Postby Drake014 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 3:58 pm

thekid001 wrote:I may have went a little overboard, but I am the first person in my family to go to college. At many times, it seemed like I would not graduate college, and now I have been been accepted to law school! Out of all people, I thought that my parents would be most excited for me, so I decided to suprise them with a party at our house.

At our house, I threw a small party that was supposed to be a Christmas party with most of our relatives and family friends.
They walked in, and said "hello" to everyone and generally seemed to be enjoying themselves. I told my dad, " hey I've have got to show you something." He looked at me quizically, and out of my back pocket, I pulled out a letter that said I had been accepted to Thomas Cooley School of Law. I could tell my mom and dad were in a little disbelief at reading the letter, but they soon understood what it meant. I had done it! They congratulated me, and my dad held a triumphant smile on his face, while my mom cried a little bit.
My dad never stopped smiling, and I could just tell how proud he was of me. The next day he bought a bumper sticker from Cooley Law School online, and said he should be able to put in on his car in a few days. I just told them, but their reaction has been priceless and treasurable.


Eh... I give it a 2 out of 10 for Cooley jokes.

User avatar
Adjudicator
Posts: 1108
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:18 am

Re: Revealing Acceptance to Parents, S.O., etc. Best/ Worst

Postby Adjudicator » Sat Dec 25, 2010 4:02 pm

thekid001 wrote:I may have went a little overboard, but I am the first person in my family to go to college. At many times, it seemed like I would not graduate college, and now I have been been accepted to law school! Out of all people, I thought that my parents would be most excited for me, so I decided to suprise them with a party at our house.

At our house, I threw a small party that was supposed to be a Christmas party with most of our relatives and family friends.
They walked in, and said "hello" to everyone and generally seemed to be enjoying themselves. I told my dad, " hey I've have got to show you something." He looked at me quizically, and out of my back pocket, I pulled out a letter that said I had been accepted to Thomas Cooley School of Law. I could tell my mom and dad were in a little disbelief at reading the letter, but they soon understood what it meant. I had done it! They congratulated me, and my dad held a triumphant smile on his face, while my mom cried a little bit.
My dad never stopped smiling, and I could just tell how proud he was of me. The next day he bought a bumper sticker from Cooley Law School online, and said he should be able to put in on his car in a few days. I just told them, but their reaction has been priceless and treasurable.


ROFL... I really hope this was a joke because I laughed my ass off while reading it. If it isn't a joke, I'm really sorry.

User avatar
saito816
Posts: 118
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:17 pm

Re: Revealing Acceptance to Parents, S.O., etc. Best/ Worst

Postby saito816 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 4:32 pm

Adjudicator wrote:
thekid001 wrote:I may have went a little overboard, but I am the first person in my family to go to college. At many times, it seemed like I would not graduate college, and now I have been been accepted to law school! Out of all people, I thought that my parents would be most excited for me, so I decided to suprise them with a party at our house.

At our house, I threw a small party that was supposed to be a Christmas party with most of our relatives and family friends.
They walked in, and said "hello" to everyone and generally seemed to be enjoying themselves. I told my dad, " hey I've have got to show you something." He looked at me quizically, and out of my back pocket, I pulled out a letter that said I had been accepted to Thomas Cooley School of Law. I could tell my mom and dad were in a little disbelief at reading the letter, but they soon understood what it meant. I had done it! They congratulated me, and my dad held a triumphant smile on his face, while my mom cried a little bit.
My dad never stopped smiling, and I could just tell how proud he was of me. The next day he bought a bumper sticker from Cooley Law School online, and said he should be able to put in on his car in a few days. I just told them, but their reaction has been priceless and treasurable.


ROFL... I really hope this was a joke because I laughed my ass off while reading it. If it isn't a joke, I'm really sorry.


Wow definitely this, I rarely actually laugh out loud while on a message board, but this was a definite exception :lol: well played sir, well played

User avatar
Pleasye
Posts: 7968
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:22 pm

Re: Revealing Acceptance to Parents, S.O., etc. Best/ Worst

Postby Pleasye » Sat Dec 25, 2010 4:38 pm

saito816 wrote:Wow definitely this, I rarely actually laugh out loud while on a message board, but this was a definite exception :lol: well played sir, well played

I really don't think it was well played. Cooley jokes are played OUT.

User avatar
OGR3
Posts: 881
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:56 pm

Re: Revealing Acceptance to Parents, S.O., etc. Best/ Worst

Postby OGR3 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 4:41 pm

Pitt sends acceptances in small envelopes. Although I got into much higher ranked schools, Pitt was my top choice and my whole family knew this. When I received my acceptance I did the obligatory freak out and then calmed down and waited for my mom to get home.

I put on my best sad face and handed her the small envelope and told her to read it. She looked at the return address and said "Oh shit..."

She then read it and started screaming and jumping up and down. It was awesome.

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: Revealing Acceptance to Parents, S.O., etc. Best/ Worst

Postby Barbie » Sat Dec 25, 2010 4:44 pm

I love threads like this!! Mine was pretty normal I guess. I found out I got into Wake Forest, and an hour later into Illinois (a huge, huge reach for me and my parents knew this). So I called from work and gave my mom the "do you want the good news or the AWESOME news?" My dad was on a business trip so I didn't get to talk to him on the phone, but I forwarded him the acceptance email and he wrote me back a really cute email listing my accomplishments by year each with a line/inspirational quote after (2008-published novel *Quote about authors*, 2009-beat cancer *Quote about survival, 2010-graduated college and accepted to a great LS *Quote about ambition*) then about how proud he was and how I always outshine every high expectation he had already set for me. I totally cried at work :D

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: Revealing Acceptance to Parents, S.O., etc. Best/ Worst

Postby Barbie » Sat Dec 25, 2010 4:45 pm

LSpleaseee wrote:
saito816 wrote:Wow definitely this, I rarely actually laugh out loud while on a message board, but this was a definite exception :lol: well played sir, well played

I really don't think it was well played. Cooley jokes are played OUT.


Yeah they are a smidge mean still, because you know that story is how some people's acceptance reveal actually happened :-\

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Revealing Acceptance to Parents, S.O., etc. Best/ Worst

Postby Grizz » Sat Dec 25, 2010 4:48 pm

thekid001 wrote:I may have went a little overboard, but I am the first person in my family to go to college. At many times, it seemed like I would not graduate college, and now I have been been accepted to law school! Out of all people, I thought that my parents would be most excited for me, so I decided to suprise them with a party at our house.

At our house, I threw a small party that was supposed to be a Christmas party with most of our relatives and family friends.
They walked in, and said "hello" to everyone and generally seemed to be enjoying themselves. I told my dad, " hey I've have got to show you something." He looked at me quizically, and out of my back pocket, I pulled out a letter that said I had been accepted to Thomas Cooley School of Law. I could tell my mom and dad were in a little disbelief at reading the letter, but they soon understood what it meant. I had done it! They congratulated me, and my dad held a triumphant smile on his face, while my mom cried a little bit.
My dad never stopped smiling, and I could just tell how proud he was of me. The next day he bought a bumper sticker from Cooley Law School online, and said he should be able to put in on his car in a few days. I just told them, but their reaction has been priceless and treasurable.


156




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], big_willy_style_333, dan9257, Mr. Bubbles, sethnoorzad and 4 guests