Curiosity Poll - What was your undergraduate major? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Your undergraduate major

English
7%
Political Science
24%
Philosophy
12%
History
10%
Other (Humanities)
27%
Engineering
7%
Computer Science
2%
Biological Science
4%
Physical Science
2%
Other (Hard Science)
5%

Total votes: 683

LLB2JD

Silver

Re: Curiosity Poll - What was your undergraduate major?

Post by LLB2JD » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:55 pm

Law (Bachelors of Law) LLB :)

Pizon

Bronze

Post by Pizon » Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:35 am

Started with computer engineering (computer science + electrical engineering). Hated the engineering, and switched to straight computer science junior year; my father died and I didn't feel like catching up on material I hated after missing a week of classes.

ArghItsBlarg

Bronze

Post by ArghItsBlarg » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:22 pm

isaiahnielsen wrote:
vissidarte27 wrote:BM - Vocal performance
me too!
Seriously? I'm a Vocal Performance major too, albeit from 10 years ago. /vocalhighfive

Mustard Blood

New

Post by Mustard Blood » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:24 pm

Math/Econ.

user08132021

Bronze

Post by user08132021 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:32 pm

History

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

nStiver

Bronze

Post by nStiver » Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:33 am

Hah, for all the snobbery on these boards about how crappy Political Science majors and humanities majors are for getting into law school, there sure are a lot of us around here...

Lokomani

New

Post by Lokomani » Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:42 am

nStiver wrote:Hah, for all the snobbery on these boards about how crappy Political Science majors and humanities majors are for getting into law school, there sure are a lot of us around here...
You forget that most people on these boards are snobs. Look at the average socioeonomic status of "Top" law school students as a whole - 90% are from the richest half of the U.S. Socioeconomic ladder. The truth is, any major that DOES NOT directly involve learning the law is completely acceptable and can provide adequate training for one's mind. The worst majors are Pre-law, Criminal Justice, etc etc.

EDIT: Philosophy Major here.

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:47 am

I've said it once before, but I still think the poll should be corrected to include 'social sciences' in addition to hard science. 'Humanities' doesn't really accurately include psychology, anthropology, sociology etc. as far as I am aware (and these aren't included individually). I think the 'Humanities' section is artificially spiking because of this omission.

nStiver

Bronze

Post by nStiver » Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:59 am

Lokomani wrote:
nStiver wrote:Hah, for all the snobbery on these boards about how crappy Political Science majors and humanities majors are for getting into law school, there sure are a lot of us around here...
You forget that most people on these boards are snobs. Look at the average socioeonomic status of "Top" law school students as a whole - 90% are from the richest half of the U.S. Socioeconomic ladder. The truth is, any major that DOES NOT directly involve learning the law is completely acceptable and can provide adequate training for one's mind. The worst majors are Pre-law, Criminal Justice, etc etc.

EDIT: Philosophy Major here.
Why does a major that does directly involve learning the law not provide adequate training for ones mind (i.e. pre law and Crim justice)?

I am just curious as to why you make that distinction.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Lokomani

New

Post by Lokomani » Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:03 am

The concensus is that undergraduate institutions do not know how to teach "the Law" from the point of a lawyer, and instead teach students to memorize/recite things, or even worse teach material from a probation/ Police officer's standpoint. This is completely different from the way in which a Lawyer approaches the law, learning how to work with and learn the intricacies of legal precedents. Thus, you are starting even behind your classmates with a major which teaches this wrong approach - and will have to "unlearn" what you thought you knew, before learning things properly.

The weak form of analysis which is provided by majors such as pre-law and criminal justice is evident when looking at the average LSAT scores of those majors - they are the LOWEST (146)

nStiver

Bronze

Post by nStiver » Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:09 am

I wonder if this is an active deal-breaker for applicants with solid LSAT scores and GPAs, or if it is just a neutral or even a minor negative. I suppose it depends on where you went. I took a lot of Con Law classes as an undergrad (i am a history and poli sci major), but only because I found them interesting, and I am fully aware that they will be nothing like law school...

nStiver

Bronze

Post by nStiver » Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:10 am

Lokomani wrote:The weak form of analysis which is provided by majors such as pre-law and criminal justice is evident when looking at the average LSAT scores of those majors - they are the LOWEST (146)
Ya I thought that was interesting. I wonder if it is just because those people tend to be dumber or lazier than the rest of the LSAT taking population, or if it is because they are actively retarded by their major.

ryokoyuy

New

Post by ryokoyuy » Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:12 am

Japanese Lang & Lit/Philosophy

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

LizBennet

New

Post by LizBennet » Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:15 am

Neuroscience here. I always feel pretty random telling ppl that at school.

RMUDelicious

New

Post by RMUDelicious » Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:25 am

Double major = Management and Accounting.

blink

Bronze

Post by blink » Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:32 am

Last edited by blink on Fri May 06, 2011 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gold

Post by 062914123 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:07 am

Last edited by 062914123 on Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:27 am

Psychology and International Studies

ARTfulDodger

New

Post by ARTfulDodger » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:33 am

Philosophy with an Art History minor. I really wanted to double major for awhile, but then decided it wasn't worth an extra year of undergrad.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:23 pm

nStiver wrote:
Lokomani wrote:The weak form of analysis which is provided by majors such as pre-law and criminal justice is evident when looking at the average LSAT scores of those majors - they are the LOWEST (146)
Ya I thought that was interesting. I wonder if it is just because those people tend to be dumber or lazier than the rest of the LSAT taking population, or if it is because they are actively retarded by their major.
1) They are easy classes so it draws in people who are less intelligent or hard working. My brother barely got through his gen eds but does well in Criminal Justice.

2) But the biggest reason is probably just that criminal justice and pre law majors don't exist at undergrads with high LSAT medians and do exist at schools with low LSAT medians. Most good undergrads don't have the programs.

I know at least one CJ major at my school.

DreamShake

Bronze

Post by DreamShake » Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:04 pm

Philosophy and psychology, plus a minor in legal studies (a little different than pre-law or criminal justice in that my professors were actually...surprise...lawyers/judges!).
Lawquacious wrote:I've said it once before, but I still think the poll should be corrected to include 'social sciences' in addition to hard science. 'Humanities' doesn't really accurately include psychology, anthropology, sociology etc. as far as I am aware (and these aren't included individually). I think the 'Humanities' section is artificially spiking because of this omission.
+1.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

framboozer

Bronze

Post by framboozer » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:01 pm

LizBennet wrote:Neuroscience here. I always feel pretty random telling ppl that at school.
Is this an option for a Psych major at your school? I'm only asking, because "Psychology with a focus in Neuroscience" seems to be the equivalent at my school.

If not, that definitely is even more random.

dr123

Gold

Post by dr123 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:05 pm

Last edited by dr123 on Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

czelede

Silver

Post by czelede » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:20 pm

Aeronautical/Astronautical Engineering. Would not do it again. Like the jobs that come with, it sounds neater than it really is. But at least you can tell people you are (or were) a rocket scientist...which is still a tiny bit cool.

lee12

New

Post by lee12 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:55 pm

Will Criminal Justice undergrad major be accepted into law schools? I heard it's not a good major but I am not sure. Can someone enlighten me please?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”