lsat addendum... please help!

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
alicen

lsat addendum... please help!

Postby alicen » Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:08 pm

June absence, October 170 (underperformed average PT by 4/5 points), December cancel. i wasn't sure if i should write an addendum, but i'm guessing 1 absence + 1 cancel = no look pretty. just don't want it to come off badly. help appreciated!

I first registered for the LSAT in June, but due to illness I was unable to sit the exam. After receiving my October score, I felt that I had underperformed my potential score, and I registered to take the exam again in December. I felt that my performance on test day was negatively affected by some unfortunate family news I had received earlier in December, and that I had not increased my score above 170, so I chose to cancel. I am certain that this news will not affect my performance in law school, as my undergraduate record would indicate. I ask that the admissions committee take into consideration what I have shared in reviewing my application.

T6Hopeful

Re: lsat addendum... please help!

Postby T6Hopeful » Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:46 pm

alicen wrote:June absence, October 170 (underperformed average PT by 4/5 points), December cancel. i wasn't sure if i should write an addendum, but i'm guessing 1 absence + 1 cancel = no look pretty. just don't want it to come off badly. help appreciated!

I first registered for the LSAT in June, but due to illness I was unable to sit for the June exam due to illness. After receiving my October score, I felt that I had underperformed my potential score, and I registered to take the December exam again in December. I felt that my performance on test day was negatively affected by some unfortunate family news I had received earlier in Decemberelaborate just a little bit maybe? not necessary but "my dad didn't get promoted" versus a death in the family can make a difference, and that I had not increased my score above 170,so I chose to cancel. I am certain that this news will not affect my performance in law school, as my undergraduate record would indicate. I ask that the admissions committee take this into considerationwhat I have shared in while reviewing my application.

I made some stylistic changes, but that's all the advice I can offer. Basically, it's a little wordy. But also, I'm unsure how to react to "I had not increased my score above 170." Although that may be a viable explanation, to me that comes up as, "obviously had nothing gone wrong I would've hit considerably above a 170." Overall, it's fine though. Hope this helps.

gdane

Postby gdane » Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:55 pm

Dont write it. Anyone can say that they can do better. Its better to show/not tell. If youre not going to show, dont bother telling.

Good luck!

T6Hopeful

Postby T6Hopeful » Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:57 pm

gdane5 wrote:Dont write it. Anyone can say that they can do better. Its better to show/not tell. If youre not going to show, dont bother telling.

Good luck!

True, but IIRC some schools do prefer (I don't remember which ones, or if it's even in writing) an addendum be written for a second cancel. For the first cancel, you're right, it doesn't matter, but a second cancel and especially one after a great score can be a little puzzling to a committee. I think.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:04 pm

Agree with gdane5--don't write it since you only had one cancel. The absence should be a non-issue. Plus, whatever you decide, do not send in your proposed version as it is not well done & contains at least one unintended message.
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

T6Hopeful

Postby T6Hopeful » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:05 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Agree with gdane5--don't write it since you only had one cancel. The absence should be a non-issue.

Oh right, that was a RC fail on my part. I glazed over it too fast and thought he had 2 cancels. You guys are right, sorry!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”