Question about diversity statement and other materials

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Peg

Question about diversity statement and other materials

Postby Peg » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:56 pm

I know someone else asked this recently but when I searched for the thread, I couldn't find it. Basically, can you submit a "Diversity Statement" and "Why X" statement even if the school doesn't ask for it, and if so how long should each approximately be? I'm guessing no more than a page each but I wanted to be sure.

Also, what else can you submit besides the diversity statement, PS, and "Why X" essays to improve your chances of admission?

Lastly, I'm sort of at a loss on how one goes about writing a diversity statement. It kind of sounds like, "My dad was Ethnicity X and my mom was Ethnicity Y and I grew up in a multicultural neighborhood and thanks to all that I speak four languages, also I joined various clubs as an undergrad, etc etc" Is this how it's supposed to sound?

Thanks =)

teaadntoast

Re: Question about diversity statement and other materials

Postby teaadntoast » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:31 pm

Check the fine print. Most schools will inform you that they "welcome additional statements containing new information for use in evaluating your application" or similar. Others will specifically ask you to provide extra essays on assigned or random topics.

There is no "right" way for these to sound, but you can find a fair sampling in the PS forum to get you started.

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:23 pm

"My dad was Ethnicity X and my mom was Ethnicity Y and I grew up in a multicultural neighborhood and thanks to all that I speak four languages, also I joined various clubs as an undergrad, etc etc"

This is not what a good diversity statement sounds like. At least for T 30 schools.

Peg

Postby Peg » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:48 pm

Thanks, both. JJDancer, I'm aware that the example I gave isn't a good one - that's why I was wondering if someone could give a pointer on how a DS should sound, not how it shouldn't sound. =) But I seem to have found some DS samples on TLS while hunting around, so I'm going to go and check those out.

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:57 pm

Peg wrote:Thanks, both. JJDancer, I'm aware that the example I gave isn't a good one - that's why I was wondering if someone could give a pointer on how a DS should sound, not how it shouldn't sound. =) But I seem to have found some DS samples on TLS while hunting around, so I'm going to go and check those out.

My PS highlights diversity and I'm not sure WHAT a convincing and unique, well-written diversity statement is like -- that's why I didn't offer more concrete advice. Some of the samples are good but too many seem to sound the same. Good luck.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”