how can I send updated transcript without fall grades?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
swtlilsoni

how can I send updated transcript without fall grades?

Postby swtlilsoni » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:20 pm

One of my grades still needs to be changed on my transcript, and my university is taking forever to approve the new grade. It probably wont be done until after winter break.
BUT after winter break, my NEW grades for this semester will also be in my transcript (and I do not want to send these new grades out because they will lower my gpa).

So I dont know what to do, if I send LSAC my transcript now, it won't have the changed grade (which increases my GPA).
Does anyone know how I can send them the updated transcript, without including the fall grades?

Seems like its a choice between sending them no fall grades+ no changed grade vs fall grades+ changed grade.
I think its ridiculous that I have to face this choice, just because the university was lazy in getting to my appeal.

Also, I spoke to the study abroad person that is changing my grade, he said that he could send a letter to the law schools with the new grade, stating that it hasn't been processed in the system yet. Would this help? If he does this, would law schools count this new grade?

Knock

Re: how can I send updated transcript without fall grades?

Postby Knock » Sat Dec 25, 2010 5:53 pm

swtlilsoni wrote:One of my grades still needs to be changed on my transcript, and my university is taking forever to approve the new grade. It probably wont be done until after winter break.
BUT after winter break, my NEW grades for this semester will also be in my transcript (and I do not want to send these new grades out because they will lower my gpa).

So I dont know what to do, if I send LSAC my transcript now, it won't have the changed grade (which increases my GPA).
Does anyone know how I can send them the updated transcript, without including the fall grades?

Seems like its a choice between sending them no fall grades+ no changed grade vs fall grades+ changed grade.
I think its ridiculous that I have to face this choice, just because the university was lazy in getting to my appeal.

Also, I spoke to the study abroad person that is changing my grade, he said that he could send a letter to the law schools with the new grade, stating that it hasn't been processed in the system yet. Would this help? If he does this, would law schools count this new grade?

I think your best bet is to talk to your school and explain your situation. I don't think a letter from the study abroad person would help you at all. No they wouldn't count the grade, they only count what comes from official transcripts.

Lokomani

Postby Lokomani » Sat Dec 25, 2010 6:11 pm

You should be aware that they may be expecting to see your fall grades, if you are making a fuss to them about an "updated" transcript. The term updated will imply that it's new and updated.

My 2 cents is that you should just eat the inaccurate grade. One grade won't affect your GPA much, and it certainly won't make them see you in any significantly different light.

Also, in trying to disguise an entire semester of subpar performance while at the same time pushing to get one grade disclosed which will help your GPA would probably be seen as an inconsistent and shady move. Not smart.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Sat Dec 25, 2010 6:30 pm

Yeah brah unless you can work something out with your undergrad institution you're probably out of luck. Law schools aren't going to factor in grades that they don't receive through official channels (aka transcripts), so if you want that grade update to be in front of the adcomms then you need to submit a transcript update after that grade change happens. If this will only happen after this semester's grades are put in, and the changed grade won't compensate for the grades you got this semester, then it might be a good idea to submit the transcripts now with neither the change nor the new semester on them.

Having someone send a letter saying "this grade will change soon" and then not submitting the updated transcript to law schools will look shady, and they probably won't be happy if you give them an explanation that involves trying to conceal your lower grades this semester, you know what I mean?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”