Amazon gift certificate...

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
die Zauberflote

Amazon gift certificate...

Postby die Zauberflote » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:49 am

Hi:

I just got a Christmas card with an Amazon.com gift certificate and I was wondering if anyone would suggest some books that may be helpful for me to read before my 1L year. I've read some posts about 0L preparation, but I'm not very much interested in the types of books these posts recommend. I don't want to do any substantive preparation (like a civil procedure outline), I don't want to read any books on law school examsmanship (like Getting to Maybe), and I don't want to read any "guide to law school" books (like Law School Confidential). Nor do I want to read something like Turow's One L or Gideon's Trumpet.

Instead, I'm seeking suggestions that are tangentially relevant to the study of law. Would readings in political philosophy or economics be helpful? What about Democracy in America or some other work on American government? I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks

thechee

Re: Amazon gift certificate...

Postby thechee » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:58 am

I'm know nothing about this firsthand (being a fellow 0L), but a good friend of mine (she's a 2L in the top 1% in her class at a T50) said that reading "A Civil Action" by Jonathan Harr was hugely helpful in understanding CivPro.

Baylan

Postby Baylan » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:44 pm

die Zauberflote wrote:Hi:

I just got a Christmas card with an Amazon.com gift certificate and I was wondering if anyone would suggest some books that may be helpful for me to read before my 1L year. I've read some posts about 0L preparation, but I'm not very much interested in the types of books these posts recommend. I don't want to do any substantive preparation (like a civil procedure outline), I don't want to read any books on law school examsmanship (like Getting to Maybe), and I don't want to read any "guide to law school" books (like Law School Confidential). Nor do I want to read something like Turow's One L or Gideon's Trumpet.

Instead, I'm seeking suggestions that are tangentially relevant to the study of law. Would readings in political philosophy or economics be helpful? What about Democracy in America or some other work on American government? I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks

So what you're saying is you want to read something that will be helpful, but not something that will give you an idea of what to expect, even on an anecdotal level, and would rather read extremely dense and ultimately pointless things like Democracy in America (which I've read significant excerpts of... its sitting on my bookshelf) in order to "help yourself"?

Buy booze with it and have fun instead of trying to read something tangentially relevant or helpful. Or buy something that you actually WANT to read.

evilxs

Postby evilxs » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:54 pm

There is something about Forum for Law Students that leads to reading comprehension fail.

This should be in frequently asked questions or somewhere else.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”