LOR's before LSAT Scores?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
cindy66

LOR's before LSAT Scores?

Postby cindy66 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:33 am

I was just wondering if it's okay to request my LOR's before I get my LSAT scores. I took the December LSAT and I'm waiting to receive my score. While I'm waiting for my score, I figured this would be a good time to finish up my applications so I can send them off when the score arrives.

Is it okay to request LOR's before I get my LSAT scores? Just curious.

Thanks for any advice!

piccolittle

Re: LOR's before LSAT Scores?

Postby piccolittle » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:43 am

cindy66 wrote:I was just wondering if it's okay to request my LOR's before I get my LSAT scores. I took the December LSAT and I'm waiting to receive my score. While I'm waiting for my score, I figured this would be a good time to finish up my applications so I can send them off when the score arrives.

Is it okay to request LOR's before I get my LSAT scores? Just curious.

Thanks for any advice!

It's more than okay, it's advisable. Imagine how long your professors are going to need to draft them for you. At this rate I anticipate that you will receive them long after you receive your score... (depending on your professors, of course)

plenipotentiary

Postby plenipotentiary » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:47 am

It's totally okay to request LORs before you have your LSAT score. There's no reason not to. It's not like your recommenders are going to ask about it. I waited until after the test to request my LORs and that was silly. However, I took the test in June, so I could afford the slight delay.

But you should have requested your LORs months ago. With the December test, you need have all your stuff ready to go before your score comes in. Even if you ask now, realistically speaking, a kind and prompt recommender will probably take a month to write a letter and send it off, and then LSAC can take two or three weeks to process the damn thing. That has you applying to law school in February, which is just too late. You should really sit out this cycle and apply to law school next year.

StillHerexxx

Postby StillHerexxx » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:50 am

I would contact them and get them writing it asap. I asked in september and one LOR finally sent the letter friday. Screwed me over for getting my apps out before thanksgiving. Stay on their asses too. Professors like to pretend they have the busiest lives on earth, and they will have no problem passing up writing it until you bug them enough.

sarahlawg

Postby sarahlawg » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:03 pm

Make sure you give your people a deadline. A week before the deadline, remind them. Unfortunately you've cut it pretty close for them because you'll get your score in under 3 weeks and you've got two holidays in the mix... but hold them to a firm deadline (no later than Jan 15?) because it will also take a week or more for it to process in LSAC.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”