It seems I‘m running out of time…

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Rmdxthx

It seems I‘m running out of time…

Postby Rmdxthx » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:24 am

I’ve got some trouble with the recommendation letters (2 of my 3 recommenders are currently abroad and won't be back until January 16th, and the other simply no longer available) and it seems impossible for my recommenders to send the recommendation letters to LSAC before Christmas…And I’ve been told that applications that arrive after Christmas will significantly more likely to be turned down…So should I go on with the application process or not(maybe I can send my materials earlier next year)?I really need some suggestions^Thanks!
(It may seem an absurd question,but it's not a joke…)

DieAntwoord

Re: It seems I‘m running out of time…

Postby DieAntwoord » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:33 am

Well, that sucks.
But it is not the end of the world.
Why don't you still apply to a number of your top choices and then if you are not happy with the results apply next cycle. Look at lawschoolnumbers to see what you might expect if you applied early and if there is a substantial difference apply next cycle. Retake if you want :mrgreen: .

Additional work experience never hurt anyone.

Rmdxthx

Postby Rmdxthx » Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:55 pm

DieAntwoord wrote:Well, that sucks.
But it is not the end of the world.
Why don't you still apply to a number of your top choices and then if you are not happy with the results apply next cycle. Look at lawschoolnumbers to see what you might expect if you applied early and if there is a substantial difference apply next cycle. Retake if you want :mrgreen: .

Additional work experience never hurt anyone.

Thanks for your advice & Merry Christmas!.I'm currently considering looking for some other people to write the letters for me. Praying~

swfangirl

Postby swfangirl » Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:12 am

If you can take the year off and work, then that would probably be ideal.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:18 am

Jan. applicant to a few schools here bro. Got in and got $ just where my numbers predicted. Just apply, see where the chips fall, and reapply next year if you don't like it.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:16 pm

It's still not late until the Dec. LSAT scores are released. The Dec. LSAT is the last acceptable score for this cycle at a lot of schools. Many people don't apply until they get the score, and many more files are being held until then. If you can apply and go complete before the wave of application later in Jan. you are still about average timing - not early and not late.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:19 pm

r6_philly wrote:It's still not late until the Dec. LSAT scores are released. The Dec. LSAT is the last acceptable score for this cycle at a lot of schools. Many people don't apply until they get the score, and many more files are being held until then. If you can apply and go complete before the wave of application later in Jan. you are still about average timing - not early and not late.

Agreed. The whole "If you don't apply in September, killself" thing is a bit overstated here, with some notable exceptions (UVA ED, certain schools with in-state quotas such as UGA last cycle).

Postby 09042014 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:33 pm

The apply early advice is a mostly TLS circle jerking. Two cycles ago TLS said "Apply before Thanksgiving for an slight advantage." Then the year after it was "Apply in Oct or you do worse." And this year everyone thinks Jan 1 is too late to get in.

Definitely don't apply late (after Feb 1).

Also set a reasonable standard for yourself now. If you have MVP numbers don't settle for 1/3 tution at BU. Create a realistic minimum and if you don't get it, try again next year.

If you can't get an app out until Feb 15 or later, then just apply to reaches and ride the waitlists.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:55 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Also set a reasonable standard for yourself now. If you have MVP numbers don't settle for 1/3 tution at BU. Create a realistic minimum and if you don't get it, try again next year.

If you can't get an app out until Feb 15 or later, then just apply to reaches and ride the waitlists.

Yeah, very much this. Don't settle on a school because you're pressed for time. Law school will still be around, and hell OCI will probably better a year further out anyhow.

jaestro

Postby jaestro » Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:29 pm

From what I gather from this site, if one does not have an LOR that is truly exceptional, then the LOR has little or no importance. So unless the OP's intended LOR's are most likely going to stellar, wouldn't it be better to find anyone with some relevance (professor or ex boss) to give a letter that is short and simple that OP was a good worker/good student so he can get the applications in earlier?
That's what I did at least.

Rmdxthx

Postby Rmdxthx » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:46 pm

swfangirl wrote:If you can take the year off and work, then that would probably be ideal.

The problem is, I cannot even find a work^ :cry: that's why I go to law school

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”