WE and Stuff

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
verum custos
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:24 am

WE and Stuff

Postby verum custos » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:02 am

Looking for friendly advice on things I can do in roughly one year of time to strengthen my resume. I did a forum search and couldn't find quite what I was looking for.

I'm a senior UG student and I've decided to wait until next June to retake the test after an unfortunate score on the Oct test this year.

This means I'll have a year off after graduating at the end of next semester and after the June test -- which will be kind of strange.

So I figured I should try to strengthen my resume while saving money during that time off after graduation via work experience. I'll want to try to get a job as some sort of legal assistant, but if that fails, it would probably also look nice if I gained experience through a non-profit organization. What else could I do to look good? I know the basics, but I guess I'm just asking if anyone knows any secrets :wink:

I guess I could try to get involved more with a certain honor society and maybe join a certain frat some of my friends are in. Anything else?

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: WE and Stuff

Postby Grizz » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:05 am

lol @ joining a frat because it will make you look good

User avatar
D-ROCCA
Posts: 324
Joined: Mon May 17, 2010 10:14 pm

Re: WE and Stuff

Postby D-ROCCA » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:11 am

Not that kind of frat.

User avatar
verum custos
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:24 am

Re: WE and Stuff

Postby verum custos » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:11 am

rad law wrote:lol @ joining a frat because it will make you look good


Yeah this particular chapter doesn't have the best reputation after some sexual assault thing. Maybe I'll skip that.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: WE and Stuff

Postby Grizz » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:12 am

verum custos wrote:
rad law wrote:lol @ joining a frat because it will make you look good


Yeah this particular chapter doesn't have the best reputation after some sexual assault thing. Maybe I'll skip that.


Also in general if you're joining a frat for any other reason than partying/making some cool friends/getting girls you're doing it wrong.

User avatar
verum custos
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:24 am

Re: WE and Stuff

Postby verum custos » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:16 am

rad law wrote:
verum custos wrote:
rad law wrote:lol @ joining a frat because it will make you look good


Yeah this particular chapter doesn't have the best reputation after some sexual assault thing. Maybe I'll skip that.


Also in general if you're joining a frat for any other reason than partying/making some cool friends/getting girls you're doing it wrong.


This particular chapter doesn't have many cool people, but apparantly a decent alumni presence (so they say :lol: )

User avatar
D-ROCCA
Posts: 324
Joined: Mon May 17, 2010 10:14 pm

Re: WE and Stuff

Postby D-ROCCA » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:23 am

lolz at a senior pledge

User avatar
verum custos
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:24 am

Re: WE and Stuff

Postby verum custos » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:01 am

Wow, how could you guys post this picture. It is really quite unbecoming and I resent this; simply uncalled for.

--ImageRemoved--

User avatar
MrSparkle
Posts: 154
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:06 pm

Re: WE and Stuff

Postby MrSparkle » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:10 am

Best thing you can do - don't work. Study for the LSAT hardcore, then ace it in June. Then work on your apps hardcore and submit on Sept 1/Oct 1. That will make more difference than an extra line on your resume, unless that line includes "Rhodes" or "Nobel."

User avatar
verum custos
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:24 am

Re: WE and Stuff

Postby verum custos » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:31 am

MrSparkle wrote:Best thing you can do - don't work. Study for the LSAT hardcore, then ace it in June. Then work on your apps hardcore and submit on Sept 1/Oct 1. That will make more difference than an extra line on your resume, unless that line includes "Rhodes" or "Nobel."


Ok so study a little, play some mid-stakes poker online and drink a lot. All right, sounds like a plan.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests