Berkely Application Question

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
kitmitzi

Berkely Application Question

Postby kitmitzi » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:14 pm

It says "Have you ever been admitted to an undergraduate program or taken courses at UC Berkeley?"

Is this asking if we applied to Berkeley during undergrad and were admitted? Or is it implying did we attend Berkeley for undergrad?

Answering "Yes" would mean very different things for either and I don't want to mislead the adcomm.

pwyoung

Re: Berkely Application Question

Postby pwyoung » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:17 pm

I'm going to guess it's whether or not you actually took classes or went as far as enrolling into a major program at Berkeley.

speedyj88

Postby speedyj88 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:32 pm

I think it's either.

If you were admitted and enrolled --> yes
If you were admitted and attended another school --> yes
If you took extension courses (do they even have them there? I know UCLA does) --> yes
If you went to graduate school there --> yes

That's my interpretation because any of these scenarios would fulfill either being "admitted to an undergraduate program" or "taking courses" at UC Berkeley. I could be completely wrong though, you're better off just calling them and clarifying your specific situation.

SubwaySandwich

Postby SubwaySandwich » Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:08 am

My opinion: Based on the wording, I interpreted it as asking if you were admitted to Berkeley undergrad, whether or not you chose to attend. If it meant admitted and attended, they could easily have seen that through the "Undergrad Institutions" portion of the application.

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:44 pm

kitmitzi wrote:It says "Have you ever been admitted to an undergraduate program OR taken courses at UC Berkeley?"

Is this asking if we applied to Berkeley during undergrad and were admitted? Or is it implying did we attend Berkeley for undergrad?

Answering "Yes" would mean very different things for either and I don't want to mislead the adcomm.

It's asking if you were admitted to the undergrad at Berkeley. OR, if that does not apply to you, if you have taken a course without being admitted.

joebloe

Postby joebloe » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:57 pm

Call and ask about your specific situation.

pbutta123

Postby pbutta123 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:21 pm

It's just asking have you ever attended berkeley i.e. taken summer courses, one or two classes, undergrad program...etc.

Ratchet Jackson

Postby Ratchet Jackson » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:15 pm

I wonder how this affects their perception of potential applicants. I was admitted to Cal UG but attended a different institution. No idea how this app question plays out in the adcomm's minds.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”