My Situation: Advice please...?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jsethgraham

My Situation: Advice please...?

Postby jsethgraham » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:08 am

Thanks for the help everyone :D
Last edited by jsethgraham on Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

sophia.olive

Re: My Situation: Advice please...?

Postby sophia.olive » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:12 am

jsethgraham wrote:Hello everyone. I was wondering if the community would be so kind as to lend its trained eye to my particular situation, and help me determine if I am on the right track. The story may get a bit lengthy, so bear with me.

First of all, I am a non-traditional student, male, 27 years of age. I am on track to finish my bachelor's degree in English Spring 2012, with an eye to beginning law school Fall 2012. If everything continues according to plan, I should graduate summa cum laude with a GPA of 3.9ish. I have gone to college off and on since 2003, forming my school schedule around my work schedule. I have been at my current university since 2009, and I will take 77 of my 120 credit hours as this institution.

I have worked with the same company for going on 10 years, 5 of which have been in upper management involving sales and marketing. Around 2008 I decided to finally get off my ass and finish my bachelors, and since that time I have gone to school full-time, worked full-time, and gotten married and had
a lovely daughter.

However,

I have what I consider a few negatives against my potential applications, any of which I feel like I could spin in a personal statement or addendum, but I wanted to put them out there to see what the community thinks. They are as follows:

1. I did not graduate high school, but earned my GED.
2. I transferred to my current school from a local community college where I did the majority of my general ed requirements. My GPA there was a poor 2.78 over 46 attempted hours. My transcripts from this time period include approximately 7 W's, a few C's, and 1 F.
3. From about a four year period I have numerous parking tickets, a judgment, and generally a negative record. This was from about 2001 to 2005.
4. In 2007, I was convicted of a DUI in the Commonwealth of Virginia. I completed ASAP, and all legal requirements to have a suspended license reinstated.

Sooooo. My cumulative GPA according to LSAC will be around 3.4-3.5ish when I graduate. Assuming I do well on the June 2011 LSAT, maybe 160-170 range, do I stand a decent chance of getting into a law school such as William and Mary or University of Fla. As stated, I feel like I could put together a decent addendum explaining all this mess, and I think it would make a difference. However, it is a lot of mess to explain away, so, what do you think?

tell me more about this lovely daughter :wink:

WhatSarahSaid

Postby WhatSarahSaid » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:16 am

From the anecdotes I've read on these forums, there's not enough against you to knock you out of solid law schools. That work experience will probably help you out a lot. By the time you're applying (2011-2012), you should have enough distance between the weak parts of your application and yourself so that admissions offices will look past them.

Do keep in mind that your LSDAS GPA will include your community college time, so focus on an LSAT score that will be adequate for your target schools in conjunction with that GPA.

krad

Postby krad » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:19 am

jsethgraham wrote:1. I did not graduate high school, but earned my GED.
2. I transferred to my current school from a local community college where I did the majority of my general ed requirements. My GPA there was a poor 2.78 over 46 attempted hours. My transcripts from this time period include approximately 7 W's, a few C's, and 1 F.
3. From about a four year period I have numerous parking tickets, a judgment, and generally a negative record. This was from about 2001 to 2005.
4. In 2007, I was convicted of a DUI in the Commonwealth of Virginia. I completed ASAP, and all legal requirements to have a suspended license reinstated.

1. I don't think will have much, if any, baring on admissions, especially since you're so far removed.
2. Definitely will affect your LSAC GPA, but you already know that. Your success at your current school will reflect positively on you, especially if you can tailor a story to that around 'getting your act together' and your daughter and such.
3. You will have to disclose parts, if not all, (depends on the app) of this. I generally think that traffic offenses (i.e. parking tickets and minor speeding violations) aren't too serious, but it depends on what they are...
4. This is the big one. I don't really know how this can and will affect your app as well as C&F, so I'll hold off to let others answer. FWIW, though, I have a friend who had a DUI and ended up a Michigan Law!

If you do well on the LSAT, if the DUI will not have too much of an impact, and if your GPA is in that estimated range, then I think you'd have a solid chance at the schools that you mentioned. I hope some others can shed more insight, but that's my $0.02! Good luck with everything!!

Diiizzzzoooo

Postby Diiizzzzoooo » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:19 am

Your situation and mine are almost identical. The only difference is that you have yet to take the LSAT. You'll be fine. Everything I have heard suggests that law schools don't really give an enormous crap about what the particulars of your situation are, unless you are a borderline admit, in which case your personal statement will boost your chances. Outside of the DUI, which really isn't a HUGE deal, there isn't much negative there. I don't know much about W&M or Florida, but Law School Numbers is a good place to start plugging in your numbers.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:53 am

Need more information about the court judgment against you as state bars scrutinize legal proceedings for any sign of fraud (huge red flag) or dishonesty. Any depositions or written answers under oath or testimony may also be scrutinized for dishonesty.

jsethgraham

Postby jsethgraham » Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:03 pm

Wow, thanks for the quick responses everyone.
Last edited by jsethgraham on Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:09 pm

"Drop off your record" ? Do you mean that this judgment will "drop off" your credit report ? Did you enter into an agreement in lieu of judgment ?

jsethgraham

Postby jsethgraham » Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:13 pm

Yes, drop off my credit report.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:16 pm

Then the judgment against you will still be public record (even if the small claims court--which I presume it was--is referred to as a court of non-record since this refers only to the evidence & testimony at the proceeding & not to the outcome--the judgment--itself).

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”